FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to forum

Louise54
Community Member

Hello, this is my first time using this site. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for most of my life. I have dealt with it on my own mostly, but have seen counsellors from time to time. I feel on top of things most days, but the last 6 months have been really difficult for me because my partner had an emotional breakdown and needs my support. I want to be there for him, but I feel like and emotional punching bag and nothing I do is right. He has a lot of anger inside and is easily set off and it's usually me that seems to upset him. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to help him and support him, but I feel my own feelings have fallen by the wayside. Can anybody suggest a way for me to address this problem with him without causing an argument? I'm reaching the end of my tether.

1 Reply 1

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Louise

Firstly welcome to Beyond Blue and may I say, Well done to you for coming here and providing your post.  

Within the last 6 months, what kinds of support has your husband been receiving?  Ie:  has he got a GP or psyches that he is seeing on a fairly regular basis to help him – especially someone to help him deal with his anger issues. 

That’s really not fair that he is using you as 'punching bag' here and that it appears he’s blaming you for his anger issues as well.  So yes, I’d be keen to find out what assistance he is receiving.  

You’ve also mentioned that from time to time, you have seen counsellors in the past (did they help?)  I’m guessing though now, that you’re not seeing anyone? 

At this present time, knowing of your background and how you say that you are reaching the end of your tether, I would be definitely trying to seek out some professional assistance/support of your own. 

Do you think you’d be ok to make an appointment with your GP in the first instance to get some initial treatment – and after a discussion there, that could result in perhaps further in depth counselling sessions.  This would be all beneficial to not only you, but also to your husband as they would hopefully give you coping mechanisms to suggest to you in how to deal with how your husband is.  

And in the meantime, if he could get his own counselling sessions, this could be a big positive step for both of you.  

I do hope you can get back to me to let me know what you think of my response?  

Kind regards  

Neil