FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Need help with "fostered" teens

Jeremy
Community Member

One year ago myself and my wife took in two teens who we're going off the rails and living with two  uncaring parents.  The teens were involved with drugs and alcohol, however, always had a lot of potential and we're well behaved and respectful around us. In our household we are quite strict, especially compared to the teens parents, and we have two incredibly well behaved boys, aged  8 and 11. The teens were quite willing to follow our rules, as they now have someone who cares about them and provides them anything they need.  However, they have slowly started to turn over the past 6 months and are now battling with us every step of the way and when out of our care they revert  back to their  original bad behaviors. Due in part to the constant stress and sleepless nights their behavior is causing I am to the point  where I am ready to hand them back to their parents as they are negatively impacting not only my mental state (my depression has returned) but also having an impact on my children's lives. The thought of sending them back however is wracking me with guilt and I can't take the final plunge into shipping them off. I would love some advice and thoughts on what you guys think I should do in this situations as I need to ensure my children are taken care of before anyone else, I would hate for the teens to put a dampener on their child hood. Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Jeremy, this post is from quite a while ago so I don't know if you're still reading. This is a very tricky situation indeed, and unfortunately I am not too familiar with fostering situations so hopefully someone else is. I guess my only thought is to try and come back to why you and your wife decided to 'adopt' these two youngsters in the first place. It sounds like you knew it would be a challenge at the time.  This probably will add to the guilt you are feeling, but I think a lot of parents would love to be able to have the option of handing back their children when times got really tough.  I know a lot of foster children cycle through home after home and part of what makes their behaviour so difficult at times is because they are so used to being abandoned and given up on that they think it won't matter how good they are, that it won't matter.

You are right I think in that you have to protect the wellbeing of you and your family, but by bringing these children into your lives you made them part of your family and I would see if there is some way you can access some sort of family support or youth mental health services to keep things together before giving up. But that's easy for me to say because I'm not living with the problem. 

Is there are a third alternative, eg. they can live with other foster parents rather than going back to their original parents?  Child services should be able to make the call as to whether those parents are fit enough to be looking after them.  If things are really getting to breaking point then perhaps it is time to call in some extra help.