FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for some emotional support

Seddie
Community Member
Hello,

I’m struggling with depression. I’m not sure if talking to others will help, but I haven't got any better ideas, so I might as well give it a try. When you’re depressed it’s difficult to muster up the inner strength to do anything to help yourself, to lift yourself out of the pit. I get in a negative headspace, my situation looks hopeless, so why bother trying to do anything about it.

I’m in difficult life circumstances. I’m a full time carer for my partner who has cancer. Over 5 years ago he was told he had 12 months to live, but he’s still here thanks to new treatment drugs which have worked for him. That is good news of course, but the downside is he is very much diminished, physically and emotionally. He is basically an invalid, can’t do much at all, even self-care. It’s been such a long time, there have been so many ups and downs. I am so tired. It’s not physically difficult, but I’m emotionally exhausted. You just wish for it to be over, but then feel bad for wishing it, because the only way this can be over is when he dies. So you feel like you just wished he would die.

One thing I find very difficult is my job is to support him, to enhance his quality of life as best I can. And when you do that for a long time you kind of run out of caring. You don’t have anything left to help yourself.

So that’s my sad story and it’s not surprising I would be mentally and emotionally exhausted. I need to find some more inner strength and stamina. It’s not a finite resource, it gets replenished and not all the days are this hard. But I am also slowly getting weaker, just like he is, and I won’t make the distance if I don’t start paying more attention to my own care. And that feels hard because it seems like I’m adding to my caring load when I’m struggling. Now I have to look after him as well as cry-baby me.

3 Replies 3

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi. That you have been doing this for such a long time, it is bound to take some toll on you. The living vs dying thing you mentoned... that is not uncommon either. It is a different scenario but my grandmother was in a nursing home with dementia - it was painful for her kids and in that sane position as you .Other people i have spoken with parents in similar situations have the same concerns. It is a difficult balance.

It sounds like your "job" (bad word, I know) is a 24x7 activity with little time for yourself to re-energise. Or have some time to yourself? Or able to network with other people?

I wonder what support might be available for you and him? I am thinking about home-care services. Or even support groups or partners?

I don't know how you felt in writing your post here and I hope others might come to share their experiences with you and give some suggestions for moving forward.

Tim

Zoleyj
Community Member
Hi, it's not surprising that you feel down, you have a lot on your plate. I can understand your feeling guilty for wishing for it to be over but try not to feel guilty, it's only natural for you to want the suffering to end. It doesn't mean you love your partner any less. You are only human and what you're taking on is massive.
Are you able to take some time out for yourself? Immerse yourself in something just for you thats completely unrelated to your situation??? Like a hobby.

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I am also a full time carer for my husband. He has a degenerative condition & is totally blind. While my situation is not the same as yours there are similarities. On one hand you want to give them as much quality of life as possible but the stress of dealing with things particularly when you see them going down hill is really hard. I rang carers gateway (You can look it up on the internet) It is government funded but each area has different contacts. The person I spoke to was very helpful & understanding. They are able to tell you what supports are available in your area & will link you into those supports. I was given some free counselling sessions &some other practical supports to assist. To be able to provide the care your husband needs you need to be well so reaching out for help & support is essential for your wellbeing & your husband's