FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm really angry at you, Depression

copingwithdepressedpartne
Community Member
Dear depression,
I want my boyfriend back please.
He’s been gone for three months now and I’d like him back.
Occasionally over the last three months he has broken through you, depression, and has given me clarity, he’ll tell me he loves me and that everything will be okay, but most of the last three months has been him taken over by you, depression. I’m trying to be strong. I’m trying to wait until you go away, but I’ve had enough!!
People ask after my boyfriend and I say, 'he’s good,' but I just want to shout at them and yell, ‘This thing called depression is visiting and has taken him away from me and he’s not at all good!!’
The hardest thing, depression, is when you make him withdraw so much that he won’t talk to me, he won’t respond to calls or texts for days, it’s devastating and worries me so much.
When depression wasn’t visiting this was a man who told me lovely things, we spoke of moving in together and getting married, it was amazing. He knows me and I know him, we get each other. We have so much fun. We laugh at the silliest things until we cry. We have both never been in a relationship quite so good, quite so right.
You think, depression, that you can tell him things that he will believe, negative things, that nothing is right and nothing is good enough. Well, you’re not fooling me and soon you won’t be able to fool him anymore either.
Depression, you’ve made us both feel anxiety about our future. You have made my beautiful man behave differently, he talks slowly, he can’t make decisions and he gets terrible headaches when you’re around.
He is the love of my life and you cannot have him!! You really have gotten in the way of our relationship. We’ll fight you off eventually and, no, you cannot come back, not even for a visit.
10 Replies 10

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Well written. I cannot comment a lot except to refer you to a few threads that you can read- just read the first post of each thread if you like.

Use google

Beyondblue topic depression, the timing of motivation

Beyondblue topic who cares for the carer?

Beyondblue topic be radical

I hope all gets better, repost anytime.

TonyWK

Happygoluckymiss
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there

your post moved me to tears - thank you. It was a wake up call to myself to fight mh and keep going for the ones I love.

You are truly a wonderful person. Thank you x I needed this today

take care

- happygoluckymiss

Thanks TonyWK, I’ll look them up

Purple_People_Eater
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi @CopingWithDepressedPartner

Yes, it's not easy. You have written this very well, blaming depression, not your boyfriend.

I read a great book about depression in men years ago, and it really helped. I think it was 'I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression' by Terrence Real (don't be put off by the publication date, it has heaps of good reviews from people who have only read it recently.

If I've got the right book, the author (a psychotherapist with 20 years of experience at the time of writing the book) had depression in college, so he knows what it's like from the inside too.

Keep posting! And think about joining a mental health carer support group.

PPE

Thanks PPE, that book looks good. The good thing about my partner is that he is getting help, he sees a psychiatrist and does talk about his illness (depression) quite openly. The bad thing is that it has got hold of him at the moment and it’s not going away, I am losing patience, hopefully it won’t be too much longer before he starts to improve. The waiting is the hardest bit.

Also PPE, you mentioned joining a mental health carer support group, I’ve googled this and can’t seem to find anything, I’m based in Melbourne, can you or anyone else recommend anything?

Good on you Happygoluckymiss, good luck with your journey

Try here. Let me know if you get stuck.

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/find-a-service

PPE

Actually, it's not easy to find them!

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/mental-illness

I have actually given the website feedback to say it's not good enough to find mental health carer groups.

Your best bet is probably to contact Carers Australia (or your particular State's version e.g. Carers NSW) or the Mind Carer Helpline (if this exists in your state). Let me know if you don't get anywhere and I'll try to find you something more targeted.