FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to get information across to my husband

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there,

If someone can give me some advice pls on how to get my husband to read up on information on depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder.

I have been suffering these mental illnesses for 3 yrs now and my husband just doesn't get it.  He doesn't understand what it's like for me to be depressed and to behave in a negative way because of BPD.

I have tried to get him to read on line information but he would be in it.  I found a BB booklet that I had from last year and he looked at the cover and that was it.

I don't know what else to do apart from dragging him to my GP or psych, which I don't think he will be happy about coming.

Ive tried explaining it to him a while ago and he turned around and said it's my problem and that was it.

I feel so lonely without my husbands support, just wish he could understand.  If he just sat down and read some information on depression and borderline personality disorder he may understand how I am feeling/coping.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Jo

53 Replies 53

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Stephen

Was thinking about you this morning and thought I would write to you.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas with your family. did you get nice presses?

My Christmas day started off pretty hard, I was emotional and I did scratch my arm. But it's okay.  My husband was at work (5am-3pm), kids were asleep, so I felt very lonely and sad.  Watching Christmas Carols night before made me quite emotional.  So I came on here and chatted.  By the time the kids woke up we had breakfast outside on our deck which was nice; then hubby came home in the afternoon.  We all got around the christmas tree and opened up our presents.  I got some beautiful presents from everyone.  We then had xmas dinner outside on deck and it was a lovely night.  Boys ended up putting out the table tennis and we had competitions.  Even I had a few games which made me feel good, I really enjoyed the night.

Things aren't too bad at the moment.  I cannot wait for my psych to come back this Thursday.  I have had to see my GP a few times because xmas set me off quite a bit, or actually the lead up to it.  

So now there NYE.  This is where I get emotional because I think of things I did over the year, things I should have done over the year, and where I am in myself.  I get upset because I disappoint myself every year.  Guess I should look at it as what I have achieved over the year. I always doubt myself.

Anyway, what did you get up to? How was your holiday? Hope the weather was nice for you and you got to have a rest.

Chat again, take care

Jo

Stephen123
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jo, sorry I haven,t replied to this post sooner. I have been all over the place since getting back from holiday. Christmas was great, the holiday was great but I drank too much alcohol and it,s got to the point were I must and have given it up completely. It sounds like you had a good Christmas and I have been reading your developments with the new psych and have posted to you on another thread but I guess with so many threads to keep up with it is hard to reply to all. To be honest I am trying to stay away from bb as much as possible and trying to concentrate on my family and tafe. So I will probably be very sporadic on bb. Anyway I hope you are doing ok with the new psych. I have engaged with a rehab service and I am doing some ACT it,s really good. My main focus is not to consume any alcohol and I,m doing well at it. I hope you,re doing ok Jo, please keep in touch.

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Stephen

It was nice to see you on here (even though you won't be on here often).

I am doing ok some days but others i'm fragile and not sure what i want. Hopefully with a this new psychiatrist and change of meds I will improve.  I just hope so.

Glad to see you had a great Christmas, even though it's terrible with the drinking bit at least you are doing something positive with the rehab. And also ACT.

Wishing you all the best with the rehab.  Chat again soon

Take care

Jo

jen214
Community Member

Hi Jo,

I am new to this forum and the world of Mental Health issues, my husband was just diagnosed and will not talk with me or even look at me I am trying all avensues to find assistance and details, I can only imagine that  he is scared of what the information will tell him and like many guys I KNOW THEY BURY THE HEADIN THE SAND when dealing with issues and very much when its there wife they are dealing with.

I went to a support next work through Care Assist they offer support for partners and while I have only been 1 so far I will be going back to talk with people like me who need to learn more about this terrible  and life changing issue, I wish you all the best.

You can google Care Assist and search buy your local area.

Good luck Jen