FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helping my friend with anxiety

MissMoobelle
Community Member

Hi,

I have just had a friend come to me who is suffering with anxiety.  I sat and listened but felt totally helpless as I didn't have the words to help.  Thankfully they recognise the anxiety and will be seeing someone tomorrow.  What can I do to help and support them through this tough time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance! 

5 Replies 5

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MissMoobelle, (cute name)

Can I suggest you read on this site under the heading "the facts"? There is a section for anxiety. Start there and good luck.

Kind regards, John.

Hazel
Community Member

Hi MissMoobelle!

I agree with CrashCoyote/John definitely start here in the facts section, there is some really great downloadable pamphlets that have heaps of helpful info. 

Although I would advise that if you look outside of this website to be very very careful. There is a lot of unhelpful information out there which is completely detrimental to helping someone with depression! 

You are doing a really wonderful thing though, just listening is a huge help, even if your friend goes over and over some of the same anxieties. Being patient and listening without fear of judgement will go a long way!

faeriedust88
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi MissMoobelle,

I agree - just by being there for her you will be able to be a great help.

Try long walks together or a cuppa tea n chats.  

Listening is a great skill a friend can have, listen without judgement and know you are doing the best you can for your friend.  

Maybe take up a class together - be creative!  Try an art class, yoga or meditation together.

Good luck!

MissMoobelle
Community Member

Thank you Crash Coyote/John, Hazel and faeriedust88!  I truly appreciate your advice and its great to be pointed in the right direction.  To make the situation a little more complicated, we are expats-in a predominantly non-English speaking country so getting help is sometimes quite complex.  At this point my friend has returned home to see family and I am hoping that this will help somewhat.  I have been thinking about making some meals to put in the freezer for when they get home and don't have to worry about shopping/cooking?  Is that going too far?  It can be overwhelming grocery shopping here, most people struggle with it!  It is difficult to know what is over stepping the mark in helping.

Hi Miss Moobelle, 

I think that's a great idea - it shows that you're caring and cooking for your friend will help them to adjust back into life when they arrive home - the last thing anyone wants to do is groceries and making some dinners is extremely thoughtful and a great treat!  

Sounds like she is fortunate to have a friend like you.

Best wishes 🙂