FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helping my brother - and you

sarahl
Community Member

Hi there everyone,

I have posted in these forums before, mostly the anxiety one for my own issues, but today I wanted to ask for your help for my 25 year old brother who has suffered from depression since he was 12.

He is on medication and takes it religiously, but has had a few relapses over the years. The latest just last week, occurred after he had a wonderful social experience - but this only served to show him how lonely he is, with no friends.

He has a wonderfully supportive family and spends some time with our other brothers friends but won't go out with them alone as they are 'not his mates'.

Having seen his psychologist last week, she has recommended that he join an outpatient group but as he hasn't been in hospital he can't easily access this support. 

I want to know if anyone can recommend ways for him to meet people (melbourne) or of any support groups etc that I can get in touch with. I am prepared to look into getting some kind of initiative up if nothing exists. Because he spent his teenage years in a state of depression, his social skills are somewhat limited but I imagine there are others in this position too.

Thanks everyone - keep smiling and remember you are all worthy.

Sarah L.

4 Replies 4

Mick_A
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sarah,

Back in 2009 I needed to present to the ER due to a severe reaction to an antidepressant. I had experienced adverse reactions to similar medications before. I was "admitted" as an outpatient into the mental health clinic here in Joondalup, Perth but  never actually hospitalised. I was given access to a group therapy and I found that this was very helpful to be amongst people who were  experiencing depression and anxiety.

There must be similar groups in Melbourne and I recommend you persist in finding such. Jump up and down if you have to as this could be so important for your brother. What are his interests and/or hobbies? Meeting like minded people who have a common interest could be valuable also. 

Hope you have some success in helping him,

Regards,

Mick

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sarah,

Try GROW: http://www.grow.net.au/

They run various peer support programmes/groups all over the country.  Hope your brother gets better soon.

best
CB

Harrysaunt
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sarah,

Another one similar to GROW as Chris mentions in Melbourne is: Adavic (just type that into google and their webpage will appear. I used adavic close to where I live. Worked a treat and even thought I didn't gain any friends, as such, from it, it was as useful as can be!

Harrysaunt 🙂

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Sarah,

Would you be willing to attend the group with your depressed brother ?   Some attempts at group therapy need a little help.   It's a bit like going to school for the first day and being left with an experienced teacher.

I did an anger management course in 2006 and the group was diverse and only men.  Looking back it was surely the 2 facilitators that made it work and sometimes the combined skills of looking at a problem many ways really made me think.    However, everyone in a group has a story or opinion so sitting back and listening respectfully is also part of the process.   If your brother is socially inadequate he'd be perfect for group therapy.   There's generally no extreme pressure to participate although adding a comment that is relevant is encouraged.

The thing with the groups is the fact that others are going through the same deal.   There's nothing as refreshing as realising that your own troubled circumstances can be related to by another person's troubled circumstances.  There is a sort of unspoken bond.  It's hard not to get involved.

And if your brother feels too uncomfortable or doesn't fit in then just thank the group leader and move on.   They're not going to chase you down the street like a parking warden trying to give you a ticket for some illegal parking.  You can't "fail".

The only frustrating thing about groups is that you might have heard someone's tale of woe a few times and get pissed off at their repetitive communication on the same subject.  But this is depression.  We get stuck on things.  Groups are sometimes used in committee form in psych hospitals to discuss the weeks' activities and any problems.  One day I decided to mention that the Sunday bus trips were always to a beach and then MacDonalds.  This seemed to contradict the healthy balanced diet the hospital food churned out daily.  The justification was that the day trip was a one off.   This happened with the Cookie Monster at Sesame Street too.  Nowadays he tells a different PR - that Cookies are "a sometimes food".

So here's my comparison - the bus trip with MacDonalds is do-able just as a bus trip.  I mean, who cares what you eat ?    The group therapy is do-able just as an exercise in listening.  I mean, no one is going to be bothered if your brother doesn't add to the conversation.   When he's ready I'm sure he will say something. He might even say "Let's go to MacDonalds' after this".  Lol.

Adios, David.

PS   I've been to a GROW meeting whilst in psych hospital and was disappointed.   The facilitator spent 40 mins detailing the admin and history of GROW (which basically a leaflet would do just as well) and then left 5 mins for serious discussion.  As this coincided with the arrival of the tea trolley the group quickly dispersed and sought therapy in the biscuits, tea & coffee.    The GROW group, bored to pieces, couldn't compete with a Rich Tea Biscuit.    That's why I think you need to find a group that is run with some tenacity and intelligence.