FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Even I'm now feeling the strain..

Working_hard
Community Member

Hi all..

hopefully someone has an insight/recommendation that I've overlooked.

my wife has severe depression/anxiety (medication prescribed) and has periods of not leaving the house etc. she is currently employed and takes a lot of time off. I understand that a business cannot sustain this type of employee and believe that it won't be long before she loses her job.

i earn "good money" and will be able to sustain the house (and dogs), but if she loses her job, I will also be responsible for "the extra  person", her financed car etc. it may sound "selfish" but I work 70-80hrs a week and the extra responsibility will "stretch me". It will mean that the hobbies etc that I do - will need to stop and each $ will be carefully analyzed 

Obviously a depressed partner is "not easy" but the extra financial bourdon and ceasing of my "fun stuff" is something I'm struggling to prepare for. I already deal with "feeling like a flat mate/being unable to actually help etc" and it's now starting to "annoy" me. The illness  has relegated me to a "housemate" feeling and I have plenty of "bad days" where I am unable to go home for support because the wife's illness is the focus..I can deal with myself but the extra baggage is sometimes tiring.

is is there any form of "financial assistance" for "carers/partners" etc that can ease the bourdon? Anything that can alleviate a little pressure from a partner "in for the long haul"?

I'm looking to "prepare" for the worst..

1 Reply 1

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi working hard,

My partner is my carer. I am currently unemployed due to mental illness. There are a couple of things you can consider:

1. Does your wife

have disability insurance through her work/superfund? I was fortunate in this regard because it means I can receive salary continuance for 2 years at half pay. (If she doesn't already have this then it's worth considering now while she's still working. Find out if there's a waiting period on claiming.) Her superannuation company should be able to provide information on their policies.

2. Carer allowance and other carer payments are available through Centrelink. I don't think these are means tested. You can find out more on the Centrelink website, or google "financial support for carers in Australia".

I hope this is helpful. I know my partner experiences the same concerns and it can be extremely challenging for him to come home from a 14 hour work day to then have to deal with me. We've made a promise that his needs are just as important as mine. I know you mentioned your wife is taking medication, is she also seeing a therapist? A Psychologist/Psychiatrist will give her other people to talk with other than just yourself. There are also plenty of group support services that her therapist can recommend for her as another outlet. 

Thanks for being one of those angelic people who have chosen to care for a loved one experiencing mental illness. We certainly need more people like you. 

AGrace