FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Suicide rates bipolar

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

FACTS- 75% of suicides are male, suicide is the leading cause of death between ages 15-44yo, suicides yearly is more than double the road toll and on average 135 people are effected by one suicide.

You are 17 times more likely to suicide if bipolar.  Research suggests up to 20%Trusted Source of people with bipolar disorder, especially when untreated, die by suicide. A larger percentage, around 20% to 60%, attempt suicide at least once during their life and  (from "Healthline").

Talking for myself- I've had one attempt but I want to talk about the few minutes prior to that objective. That feeling comes regularly, say twice a year. It is preceded by a trauma of some description, an argument, a socially embarrassing situation or less often, a tragedy like whale beaching or human suffering. Those are my triggers. When younger it could have included- financial hopelessness or excess criticism of my mother (estranged now since 2010) or bullying.

Every person with bipolar suffers differently and I also have dysthymia and that is relevant as my childhood trauma has resulted in extreme sensitivity not dissimilar to HSP (highly sensitive person of which up to 20% of people are).

Remember that this feeling will pass and to help it pass, MOVE! walk around the block, pick up a ball, play with your dog. 2/ ring lifeline 131114 or Beyond blue 1300 224 636 , talk.

I know how you feel, my job here today is to convey to you that I understand that feeling and I'm begging you to reach out. I would highly recommend the following thread- just read the first post. It's a thread I wrote many years ago of radical actions because in the face of suicide becoming a possibility, we should do anything to divert it.

forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/when-all-is-lost-what-can-you-do-be-radical/td-p/47450

TonyWK

8 Replies 8

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for this post Tony. I think identifying that ‘space of being’ before potential suicidality and what you can do within it is so important. I’ve essentially broken down in the last few weeks and even a week ago felt at risk. Yesterday I was walking and sheltered under a tree when it was raining. To my delight I discovered a nest of baby birds and seeing new life gave me a real sense of hope. But a week earlier I was in the same location and was thinking of ways to end things. If I’d done so I wouldn’t have seen the beautiful signs of new life. Today I was patting a super friendly dog I met and same thing, I thought this is a joyous meaningful interaction that I’d miss out on if I’m dead.

I think the idea to physically move is a great idea as is the idea to talk to another person, whether a helpline, friend, family or psych/counsellor. It’s knowing how to act as your own advocate in those situations which is really challenging when another part of you is self-attacking/destructive.

I’m sorry for what you’ve been through with the bipolar and dysthymia. I’ve wondered in the last few weeks if I’m falling into a mental illness that was somehow kept at bay by defence mechanisms from the past that have finally come crashing down, leaving me exposed.

Do you feel those things were always there for you or that they manifested later in life in response to ongoing struggles? I know you’ve mentioned difficulties with your mother and I had difficulties with mine too.

Thank you for the thread link. I tried to click on it but it doesn’t seem to be hyperlinked and I couldn’t seem to copy and paste it on my phone either, but might be able to on the computer.

Anyway, thanks for writing about these things. So many people struggle with suicidality and it is better to have a conversation about it than have it stay under the carpet. It’s what’s keeping me going at the moment - maintaining some kind of connection with the world.

Hi ER,

Thankyou for replying and I'm happy you can relate.

That link is faulty. Instead google "beyondblue when all is lost....what can you do- Be radical?

You struck a cord to another factor I chose not to mention (not enough room) and that is beauty of life, animals etc. I follow a guru called Prem Rawat "Maharaji" and in his teachings he mentions watching a sunset. A sunset lasts 2 hours so when asked most people say "of course, I've watched a sunset". But they havent start to finish. As advised I climbed a hill and sat still and watched it, allowed the air to breathe deep, feel the mood. Just as I thought it was a waste of time a small finch landed on my shoulder. Suddenly "I got it". The tears fell. 

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/meditation-words-of-wisdom-it-helped-me-for-25-year...

There is many of his youtube videos and I'd strongly recommend especially "the perfect instrument" and "All is well"

The dysthymia was there since my trauma (brother nearly drowned) and I didnt talk for 3 months (12yo), not one word. That came out at a psych meet in 2009. The bipolar was there since teenage years but also wasnt diagnosed till 2009. Age 53. So those decades was a train wreck trying to find answers. All 3 siblings have bipolar. Brother and uncle suicided 1979 and 2002 respectively. Mother in denial likely has BPD that can cause MH issues in children.

I stumbled on "radicalisation" when I joined the RAAF at 17yo to get away from home. Also a hitch hiker I met around 24yo was in a bad way and he left his city home and got a job as a cook at a sheep station in the outback. He rang 6 months later to tell me of his happiness. Radical actions need planning and sensibility factored in like work, accommodation etc but it is a way forward.

Sitting under that tree, I relate to that strongly. https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/want-to-be-a-hermit/td-p/273204

Do you feel there is a lot missing in your life?

TonyWK

Hi Tony

I just read your ‘be radical’ thread and it was very helpful and interesting. My recent radical step earlier this year was moving from the city to a country town. It’s so much better for me and gives me a real chance to recover close to nature in a quiet place following several years of extreme stress.

I’ll definitely check out Prem Rawat ‘Maharaji’. The story about the small finch landing on your shoulder nearly made me cry. That’s so interesting about the sunset as I have a favourite rocky hill I often go to about an hour and a half before sunset and I often stay at least half an hour after. Some inner survival instinct has just told me to do this. On one occasion I had my eyes closed for a bit. On opening them I found a small bird of prey (nankern kestrel) sitting near me. It was like your finch story. It’s like the spirit of nature is with us and supporting us.

I feel for the decades you had trying to find answers. Life seems to be like that at times and it can seem our life’s work to figure things out, but I would say what you have from it is a depth and wisdom that enriches life and compassion for self and others.

I’ll read your link about the hermit too. I fantasised about being a hermit as a teenager, not because I disliked people but because I felt safer on my own and in nature.

In terms of what’s missing in my life I would say a fear of intimacy has led me to run away from closeness, linked to a mixture of emotional distance and abuse from parents in childhood (they had their own trauma). I’m generally very self-reliant but learning I need to be able to ask for help and tell others if I’m not ok.

My Mum may have had BPD also. She had some traits but not others. Extreme emotional dysregulation was one. Whatever was going on I’m definitely living the repercussions and trying to recover.

Thanks for your insights.

Hi again Tony

Just read the hermit thread and can very much relate. I think some of us have a degree of sensitivity and vulnerability that make living in society, especially cities, very challenging. But I don’t think humans are meant to live in isolation either. So sensitive souls can have this tension between needing to escape and the healing power of meaningful human connections. I’m trying to find the right balance in this regard.

Thanks again,

ER

With mental health imo the balance of the attention we give it is important.  Excessive thinking can be counter productive.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/worry-worry-worry/td-p/87808

Is the above thread relevant to you ER?

TonyWK 

Hi Tony

Yes I think some of that is relevant to me. Probably the best way to describe it is I’m someone who intensely perseveres. This comes from how I was shaped by life experience from the beginning of life. With no safe adults to orient to and form healthy attachments, I developed an extreme self-reliance in thinking and making excessive effort to solve things on my own. When your very survival depends on that, it’s challenging to learn new ways of being later in life.

I also likely have undiagnosed ADHD with the swing between intense hyper focus and complete scatterdness. During hyper focus I will think intensely, followed by being spaced out and unable to focus.

Exacerbating all this, I’ve just realised I think I’m being affected by perimenopause and the intense hormonal imbalances that can go with that. I just did a separate post on that in this section as I think it’s been contributing to my feelings of suicidality which is apparently increased for many women in this age bracket (I’m 47). I just thought it might help anyone going through anything similar.

Right now I’m in hyper focus but I can feel my brain is starting to drift into vague all-over-the-placeness so I probably need to go and decompress.

Thanks again and bye for now 

ER

I thought I had ADHD in 2003. I was diagnosed with it and took medication for 6 years, 12 different types were tried and none worked. I went to another psych and he diagnosed me with bipolar, dysthymia and clinical depression. NOT ADHD. So sometimes symptoms are mirrored.

You have a lot of things to sort out but it will be worth it

TonyWK

Many thanks Tony.

I think what presents as ADHD-like symptoms in my case ties in with Gabor Mate’s view of ADHD as a developmental condition frequently arising out of adaptations to do with early life stress/trauma. That is me but may not be the same for everyone. I feel if I can work through the developmental issues some of the tuning out, dissociation, swinging between hyper focus and scatterdness etc will start to alleviate. It will be a bit of an experiment anyway and I’ll see what happens.

Today I feel a lot calmer and have had positive interactions with friendly people which always helps. I feel more present in myself and less scattered. I think I just have to keep working on all the right ingredients for healing. Speaking of this a friendly, fluffy dog just came up for a pat. I’m in a nature setting where people walk their dogs - they are the best medicine 🐶

All the best,

ER