FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed, no one understands

randomspace
Community Member

I’m a teen, I’ve had depression and anxiety for years, my friends and family support me and I will be receiving help soon. But, it’s getting harder and harder to handle, it hurts. I was physically and emotionally abused from a young age, and although it’s stopped, whenever I think about it I start panicking and it gets so bad that I can’t breathe. I try talking about it to my family but they just say, “I suppose you’ll have to go on some drugs(medication)”,and the conversations closed.I have self harmed before and attempted suicide, I don’t want to go backwards again. I’m severely depressed and I can’t cry, I just can’t, nothing is enjoyable anymore. Is it selfish

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi randomspace,

Thanks for reaching out to this community today - we are grateful you decided to reach out. We're so sorry to hear that you have such a difficult history. We don't think you are selfish at all - we understand that this must be really overwhelming for you. It's really good to reach out. You have unfortunately had a lot of trauma in your young life, and this must be really tough. We are getting in touch with you privately to offer some extra support.

It's great to hear that you have a supportive family and friends, and that you will soon be receiving some professional help - you've already taken some amazing steps in sharing this with loved ones and seeking help. You are so strong! It can take a lot of courage and effort to do this. Until your first appointment (and between appointments, whenever you feel it might be helpful) Kids Helpline counsellors can be contacted 24/7 by young people 25 and under via telephone and also via webchat - https://kidshelpline.com.au/ 

Headspace is another organisation that you might be interested in, they are specifically for young people aged 12-25 and they offer a wide range of services including counselling and group programs. You might find it helpful to get to know some other people your age who also have anxiety or depression. Headspace also has a group chat on their webpage that you might like - https://headspace.org.au/

Thanks again for reaching out here. Hopefully a few of our members will pop by with some sage words of wisdom.

mocha delight
Community Member
Hi randomspace I have not been through that but I just want you to know if you ever need to chat I’m here for you ok. And it doesn’t have to be about that but anything at all you want to talk about or if you ever want to talk but no pressure if your not comfortable about doing so.

randomspace
Community Member
Thank you

I myself feel better talking about things to someone rather then keeping it in no matter what it is and besides all the people here are great. As without them I’d be lost as I feel like everyone here feels like they are family to me and they understand what I’m going through even if it’s to all different degrees. And unlike family & friends in real life I can say whatever I’m truly feeling and won’t be judged for that as no one judges here so I’m comfortable & surrounded by not just friends but family here well my bb family.

Annewithan-e
Community Member

I completely understand.

I’m thinking of you.