FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,382 Replies 4,382

It felt so good walking out in the fresh air today. Been struggling quite a bit. So at times I felt myself walking mindlessly. Other times I could notice around me. Something happened to me and I could not manage and I know after a while of this constant distress I go far away. So yeah moments of time during my walk, that is where I slipped to.

Thankful I walked though.

Went walking on Breakwall path

And how are you now feeling walking shoes? At times a we all need a bit of personal space to get out thoughts together before we can move on. Rest up. Take care.

Dear walking shoes. Had tried to walk a little bit, am currently neither in the mood for it. I hope life isn't treating you too harshly. It's not an easy road to keep moving forward especially when trying so hard with any type of MH. We all get our downers and struggle so much which at times we just want to give up. You're a strong lass from the few posts I've read. No matter how strong any of us are, we all need to step back at times just to analyse ourselves of perhaps there's any needed adjustments of our thoughts, our circumstances.etc. Allow yourself that time. You're an inspiration to many on the forums. Take care

Hello walking shoes, Thinking of you and hope you're looking after yourself. Still no walkies for me though.i do see through my windows that some people are walking alone, others with a friend, still others walking their dogs 🐕. Some dogs look very cute whereas other dogs not so friendly looking yet loveable by their owners. As I sit and watch people walking by it still gives some joy though I'm not actually an encouragement to anyone. I would love to go put and join in. Perhaps in thr near future. Have go be patient with myself whilst going through this downer. It needs to run its course.

Now my dear Walking Shoes, You take care of yourself. Remember:- take each day or moment as it needs to be at Your Pace. Take Care.

Hello dear Walking Shoes. Today (Saturday) I had decided to go for a drive to see some friends who doesn't Iive too far away. It felt do good to sit behind the wheel again and see so many interesting things. Not the same as walking as need to focus on the traffic. Didn't do any walking at all. Did a fair big of comfort eating whilst with friends a habit I thought I had under control. Over ate and came home feeling rather sluggish. After locking car I decided to walk up and down my very long driveway. felt a lot better. I hope that motivation will continue.. need to get into the habit again. it's really invigorating, excellent for my body and helps with MH. I don't fancy walking around in my local area so my yard will have to do for the meantime until I get more confidence back after a terrible fall last year. My knee just gives out without any warning, wear and tear that comes with age and from hard physical work over the years.. occasionally I may wear an pull on knee support. Walking is best for me with some stretching and deep breathing. And dear Walking Shoes please look after yourself. Take care dear

Dear Walking Shoes just a quick Hello + hpe u r looking after yourself.. scrubbed bird bath, emptied watertank overflow, kept excess water to later garden usage. That was my exercise this evening. Hope to hear from you real soon. Would love that we could virtual together take careof yourself my dear

Hello Still at it...

My words are not many. But wanted to say hello to you and that I have been reading your posts here.

Guest_1055
Community Member

It's been a while...

Yesterday I was able to go for a longer walk. I had not been able to walk over the last month, due to physical pain it was a challenge to move around at all. No pain anymore. Praise God.

Learnt some things as I was just laying there in bed and needing to go to the bathroom. Most of the time, as I struggled to slowly move from the laying position to upright.. to standing, then walking those few steps. I was speaking these words out. "when I am weak, He is strong" and " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". I could walk those few steps. Praise to You my God. Thankyou for showing me this.

So that brings me to yesterday. I went walking with my sister in that beautiful historical town and then along a narrow looking road /lane just outside of the town.

This lane has open pasture farmland on both sides of it. As we walked along it we saw cows. Two groups of them. They were standing in a closed circle munching on a bale of hay. They looked like they were having a meeting. My sister made a comment " the meeting of the cows at the round table". It was funny. I have an excellent imagination and that is what it looked like to me. Taken from a book, I think that round table bit??

The air had that farm smell waffling around. We walked a while along this open pasture lane/Road. Walked until we saw sheds. Then it looked like someone's property.. as the lane turned to a muddy dirt lane from a tarred lane. So we turned around and headed back.

When we got to the town itself, we walked past buildings and shops. One such building has a large wide old fashioned front door. I love this timber door. It has a brass knob in the middle of the door. Above that is a door knocker thing. And just below the knob is an opening slot for mail etc. I imagine the door would be heavy to open as it just looked it. Strong and well made.

I could smell other scents waffling around now, some from the cafes and hotel. It was around dinner time as we walked through this section of the town. So dinner aromas...

It was great to catch up with my sister again.. It had been a while too. I did enjoy this walk. And it felt good to move again, outside.

Shell, I'm glad to hear from you again. I was worried about you. I'm glad you recovered enough to walk with your sister. You haven't lost your imagination and talent for writing. I'm not getting much chance to do interesting walks. So many demands on my time and being extremely tired is making it hard. I hope I can get a break soon so I can start to recover and be able to enjoy walking and doing things again