FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

*Trigger warning* Eating for Health and Wellness

Guest_1055
Community Member

I have been struggling eating and eating healthy foods over the last couple of weeks. I really do not want to go back further to how I use to eat, that is eating junk food, takeaways, copious amounts of chocolate, processed junk and comfort eating.

Finding it challenging to stay motivated to actually prepare what I know helps me feel better mentally, emotionally and physically. Plus I have been feeling overwhelmed with other stuff happening in my life, which somehow makes it more challenging. The old unhealthy comfort eating thing is coming back. And I think I am getting concerned and scared about that. I so much do not want to go back to how I use to be. I was so sick. Plus I now have some physical things not right in my body , so I need to be more careful and mindful of what I eat. ( Pre cancer cells , high blood pressure )

I was eating really well since Febuary of this year, it’s just the last couple of weeks I haven’t.

So I would like to use this thread to help me be accountable to Beyond Blue people. So like a diary where I can post and report what I eat. And also any healthy eating tips, motivating strategies to help eat better or anything related to healthy eating for our bodies including our mental health.

1,406 Replies 1,406

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Shelley Anne,

Thanks for your post.

I love that you're using BeyondBlue as a way to stay accountable! It sounds like you have a lot of insight into what works, what doesn't and what you'd like to change - so I'd call that a strength in itself!

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help support you throughout it all 🙂

Hope this helps!

Guest_1055
Community Member

I managed to eat 2 mandarins , 1/3 banana with the contents of 4 garlic capsules mashed into it. And a cup of warm hibiscus tea this morning.

Thankyou Romantic, yes I am hoping just writing in here will help. I so much do not want to go back to what I use to eat.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Shelly,

What a great idea, l have not been eating health since Ive been on my own now for 4 years, ..

I stopped cooking after my hubby passed away...Cooking for one, is hard, I just ate what I had here. I won't say what a bit ashamed of myself thinking about it now..For the past year, I have started cooking again for a few nights at a time and freezing the meals for other nights..I make Sunday my cooking day..Maybe a chicken/beef Vegetable soup or casseroles, I make enough for around 4 meals and have if I don't feel like cooking that night..

Shelly, I would like to follow this thread if I can and if needed to just give you some very gentle encouragement from time to time....

Good luck Shelly, warm hugs 🤗🌹. and a beautiful rose for a special person who has a beautiful soul..

kind and caring thoughts,

Grandy....Karen..

I can feel happy tears behind my eyes Karen as I read your gentle words and received the rose you gave me.

Prepping meals before hand is a great idea and like you mentioned you freeze them. So when you are struggling you can just get them out of the freezer. So yeah I think I really need to do this. I am responsible to cook for two others who generally eat different meals to me. Some days after I cook for them, well I do not feel like cooking another meal for myself.

And yes do pop in whenever you want.

Just finished eating 2 roast potatoes, 1 piece of roasted pumpkin and now eating a bowl of grapes.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Shelly,

Im just popping in to see how your going.. just a gentle reminder to say that healthy eating does help both physical and mental health....I just finished making a really healthy beef vegetable soup.

Carrots, potatoes,celery,onions,broccol, cauliflower, garlic, leeks, zucchini,tomatoes,pumpkin..and of course some salt,pepper and my favourite herbs and spices....Yummy..

How about you Shelly, how has your healthy eating going..

I hope your day today has some light in it for you..

Warm and caring hugs🤗...Oh yes a flower 🌺 and a candle🕯 for your dinner table tonight

Grandy..xx

Guest_1055
Community Member

Opened up this thread again. Well because I am struggling with eating junk food again. Mainly chocolate and twisties. And I want to pick myself up again and keep going taking care off myself properly in this area of my life.

Since the beginning of the year I started to eat a whole food plant based diet. That is lots of green leafy vegetables and other vegetables, fruits all kinds, beans, lentils, whole grains like oats, nuts and seeds. And I physically and mentally and even emotionally felt so much better. And experienced much more energy and my emotions were more calm. Also lost around 30 kg. This included exercise as well.

Well back to more recent, the last month it has been a struggle mainly with feeling rejected and sad. So somehow I turned back to hold habits of years gone by. That is comfort eating stuffing myself in hope but in vain to feel better. That is what I used to do for so so long. It made me sick. I do not want to go back that way again. I just don’t. It affects me mentally as well eating all the junk. Brain fog, lack of clarity in my head etc.

So anyway feel quite lethargic today as I stuffed myself with... and I am going to be honest a packet of malteasers and one whole plastic jar of Cadbury fruit and nut chocolates. They normally bring these out at Christmas time. My tummy feels just yuck and bloated. And I am feeling disappointed with myself and I think scared. You see I have been told I have a pre cancerous condition. And from my research well eating junk may make it worse. I need to choose to take care of myself and eat properly so my body can heal.

So my goal is to eat the way I was before because I did feel better. My aim is to get myself back up. I just got to choose this because I want to live.

So I ate what I said above plus a salad from my local organic cafe. And a juice of beetroot, apple, carrot, ginger and lemon. I drink lots of water. So I am thankful that I like water.

Tomorrow is a new day. I am choosing to live and to be glad that I am living. And taking one day at a time. Thankyou for reading if anyone did. Appreciate it a lot. Being accountable helps me I think.

Guest_1055
Community Member

Today I had cravings for leafy greens. So that is what I ate. About 3 handfuls of mixed greens on a large oval plate. Along with left over quinoa and bean bolognaise. Topped with sweet cherry tomatoes and a dollop of cashew sour cream. Very yummy.

I have also eaten 4 passionfruits and handful of sultanas. And an ice coffee made on bonsoy soy milk sweetened with coconut sugar.

Water is easy for me to drink so I have drank quite a bit throughout the day.

No junk food? Yah

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Shelley anne,

I just wanted to say how great it is that you are wanting to heal your body from the inside out.

It's fantastic that you've become inspired to get back into your healthy ways.

So, you ate the Maltesers and the Cadbury thingies, that was yesterday ... you're doing really well today.

I love that you are focused on a whole-food plant-based diet. I am vegan, so I am personally cheering for you!

I made a yummy salad of grated fresh beetroot, lentils, chopped lettuce, sunflower kernels, crushed and toasted Pepstar and almonds with a dressing of fresh orange-juice shaken in a jar with Dijon mustard, Italian herb mix and olive oil.

Wishing for you inspiration and beautiful energy 😊

🌻birdy