FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I think that all I need is to vent.

douglaid
Community Member

I am 81 years old, born with inherited depression.  I was a breech birth as well, and left with neurological deficiencies.  In my youth, depression was almost unheard of.  My treating pediatric neurologist knew, but it was kept hidden from me.  I wasn't interested in girls.  My brother and sister both married inappropriately, just to declare independence.  For my sister's wedding, I decided to partner a girl I had met only recently.  We turned out to be a perfect match.  My sister called off her wedding, but our romance continued for over 50 years as of today.  I feel "different" and "abnormal," like an observer of life rather than a participant.  I am taking meds, which are not a cure, but help me cope.  I keep wishing to find a cure, but it would need genetic engineering.  I have looked on my condition as more of a disability than as an illness, pushing my self as far as I can, within my limitations.

2 Replies 2

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear douglaid,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums..

Congratulations on your 50 year romance…that is so beautiful..

A cure for depression would be welcomed by so many people, but for now, your right that meds do help some people to be able to manage their depression better..

Well done with pushing your self care as far as you can without limitations…I find when I’m in a depressive episode it’s so hard to care for myself the way I should…yet it’s when we need to the most…

Thank you for sharing a little about your journey and joining our wonderful forums…I do hope I’ll see you around the forums or here on your thread…please continue to take care of your beautiful self..

Thinking of you with kindness and care Dear douglaid..

Grandy..

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Doug and welcome;

Congrat's on 50 years with your first love, and kudos for having the courage to post on BB. We all need someone to talk with when life gets us down, so you've come to the right place. 🙂

I first signed up so I could find people who knew (and believed) what I was going through, unlike my family who thought I was lying or exaggerating. That was 2015 and although I'm well into my recovery, I still pop in now and then to touch base.

Reading your post, I see you've obviously had a difficult life with mental health challenges. It's a credit to you, your warrior spirit and intelligence that you can reach out the way you have for support and encouragement.

If it's helpful, would you like to talk about why you came here and what you hope to achieve? You could write a book or just start slow and build up as you become more comfortable.

Again, welcome to our online community Doug...

Kind thoughts;

Just Sara