FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Three self-care things you did today!

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We can do it BBers, we can do self-care.

Sleepy21 pointed out research that shows self-care REALLY helps!

Please share what you do for self-care so we can get inspiration, ideas and motivation to do it too.

Best wishes
EM

1,654 Replies 1,654

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Eagle Ray, do you live around lots of nature or do you drive to places nearby? I love how regularly you surround yourself with nature, how therapeutic that must be.

Tomato soup is delicious, mmMekitty. Yum!

Loved one home so trying to selfcare while caring for another

realising loved one has all the attention so I must be kind to myself as I am invisible to family and friends.

Walking different streets in my station. 

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi sbella, I do live near a lot of nature in a regional town. I am very lucky. There is an awesome river, the ocean, forest and woodland. I can walk to the river in 5 minutes from where I live. I actually chose to live here after moving out of the city as I new I needed to be near nature to heal. There is a lot of wildlife too, including birds, mammals and reptiles that visit my garden. I can honestly say these things are what keep me going.

And hi Quirky, You are not invisible here! We see you!

Yes, Quirky, we hear you, care for you & are here to support you.

Do you have a thread where we can talk about these feelings you have?

I certainly know how it feels to be invisible to people around me, so I think I can relate.

Big hugzies

mmMekitty about to go & have my tomato soup, take various meds & get ready for bed. (all self-cares). Happy dreams, everyone. Dreaming of forests, rivers & wildlife would be wonderful, eh?I hope I do. & dream,ing, if I am a cat, I can chase all the wildlife I want & not hurt anything. [LRC ga ets dreamy look already, just imagining.]

Thinks eagle and kitty. I am fine. Writing how to selfcare helps me. 

1. Played my guitar and sang a song.

2. Photographed parrots in my back garden.

3. Ate a piece of cake.

Nuldori
Community Member

Hi,

1. Walked

2. Took a shower

3. Wrote what i’ve achieved today. so I reassured I’m on the right track and doing well. 

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1. Put through a large load of washing. I really enjoyed hanging it out as it was sunny but with a nice, gentle breeze that was refreshing but not cold. Lots of small birds were darting about next to me too in my garden - honeyeaters, wrens and a willie wagtail. Plus parrots were finding things to eat on the lawn.

2. Sat on my front porch in the afternoon and soaked up the sun.

3. Saw a friend in town when I went to buy groceries and went and had a chat which was really nice.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi ER, & everyone

I like how doing what you might think will be a chore turns out to be so enjoyable, in the sun, all the birds, the light breeze not being so cold - wonderful.

Mine are about the week, really.

I had a difficult but useful session with my PDr

Went to places I didn't want to go, to get information which was not to my liking.

I was happier going for exercise & hydrotherapy.

I made phone calls I didn't want to make.

But these things must be done, & it's best to get on & do them rather than procrastinate & worry.

I have decided, with or without NDIS funding I will get a talking microwave. It will make my cooking safer because when the cooking is done it will stop & I won't need to remember to turn it off.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

Hi all, and welcome Nuldori. Great to see all your self cares, as usual. Here are mine (for the last week or two):

- Started learning Spanish. Brain needs some food.

- Cooked some meals just for me. It's finally clicked I need to prepare for my caring role like I prepared for work. I had work lunches then, I need work lunches now. I eat way more than hubby can and can't rely just on what I can make or buy for him. We also have different nutritional needs/sensitivities.

- Encouraged hubby to be honest with his friends about how we're doing rather than trying to save face. This has significantly impacted their willingness to have him stay overnight regularly and give me a desperately needed break more than once in a blue moon. Plus he needs way more social time than I do, it's good for both of us.

Blue.