FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Relaxing Methods?

Guest6093
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've been waking up early in the night and my wife has said my snoring is getting terrible and I'm scrapping my teeth at night. The big problem is stress from work which is normally what I wake up thinking about at 2:30-3:00 in the morning and I can't get back to sleep.

Why I'm writing this thread is because I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything to help me stop constantly thinking about work and de stress?

I've tried meditation and I'm not big on it and I do breathing exercises when I'm stressed at home but that doesn't completely put my mind at ease. I'm not worried about anything in particular but do take things a little personally when someone has feedback.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks.

R

2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Guest6093 / R,

Thanks for your post.

Gosh this is the question! There are whole books on different ways to relax and it's tricky because what works for one person doesn't work for another. It's cliche but it really is about finding what works for you.

I'll try and through a few ideas out there and hopefully something will click -

It's great that you've tried meditation and breathing exercises. They can be really helpful when we're in that state of anxiety; whether that's constant or rare. When it's stress though, like overthinking; I'm kind of doubtful whether this is the right one. Focusing on our breathing when we're just overthinking doesn't feel or seem helpful! Mindfulness on the other hand could be; where it's about focusing our attention on what's happening in the now.

Can you tell us a little about your job? What is it that you do or what is it that you're thinking about when you get home? It's important to find a way to 'switch off' when you come in the door at night. Sometimes that can be just thinking (or saying out loud) "okay; I'm done. I'll worry about that tomorrow", or other times it's more activity related like going for a walk or listening to music. The key part of this though is ritual; so that your brain can get used to the idea of 'letting it go'. Other people might use journalling, changing clothes, chatting about it, showers, or even writing task lists. The aim is to really battle that inner voice of "yes, thanks for reminding me. I'll do it later".

I know that it's a bit cliche but exercise. Yes yes it's very good for you - you know all that. But after a good workout (even if it's a short one) exhausts us to the point where it's harder to worry.

and finally - distraction. What happens when you get home; what's your nighttime ritual? Things like watching TV - while they feel relaxing is actually counterproductive. We can kind of escape into it which is why stress can come back with a vengeance later on. You could potentially switch that for more enjoyable activities - like watching something funny (key being laughter), reading, chatting with friends, photography, woodwork, drawing, puzzles etc

Oh - and jaw exercises! You can definately get mouth guards to protect your teeth but this is one thing that's really helped me over time.

Hope this helps!

suba
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Guest6093's,

I really feel for you, you seem like a good person trying to help yourself and that is great that you are. While I only suffer from mild anxiety it developed over time from stress and lack or sleep, my snoring was that bad I had to go and sleep in another room so my partner was not constantly woken, we decided to seek medical attention and found out that I had enlarged tonsils', had them out and the snoring stopped immediately, it not only helped me get more sleep but I also lost 6kgs due to my metabolism speeding up, I know different people snore for different reasons but my advice would be to start with go to your Doctor.

I couldn't agree more with romantic_thi3f on the subject of Mindfulness, focusing on what we can control not what is out of our control, this takes some self discipline but once you train yourself and make it a habit to think about the now and not what has happened or what might happen the stress will not only become less but will be a lot easier to deal with.

Exercise is the best medicine for everyone healthy mind healthy body and it could be anything like a walk, short run, some time in the gym, treat it as ME time, have a think about good things and get yourself to a happy place.

Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.

Free your mind from worries - Most never happen.

Live simply and appreciate what you have.

Give more.

Expect less

Hope this helped a little and keep on keeping on

GREG