FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Over-stimulating the Senses - Addiction to Adrenaline and Beta Endorphins?

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi all;

I've been self assessing for a long time now, and have come across an habitual need to stimulate myself with dysfunctional thoughts that prop me up or give a perception I'm not small or insignificant at all; feeling powerful and a winner.

On the flip side, I've also had thoughts that bring me down (too big for my boots) causing a 'normal' feeling of being average or small/insignificant...safe from ridicule or punishment.

We've all had those fantasies of kicking the winning goal or standing on a podium with trophy in hand sucking up the acclaim and cheers from the crowd. But what if those fantasies turned into yelling at someone until they were on their knees leaving you feeling pumped and superior? Or maybe getting in between parents to fend off upcoming violence and be the hero?

Isolating myself has turned my world inward where I play out the day in my head. This is where I've been living and getting to be on top, or berate myself into submission.

The other noticeable factor is the adrenaline or beta endorphin rush I can have from this; undetected until recently due to the normality of 'feeling' this way.

Looking for a discussion peep's...your thoughts?

Sara

127 Replies 127

Oh SS! I'm salivating at the thought of discussing this stuff. I know others will indeed be interested.

Sara xo

That's because it was cheeky.

I cracked up when you said "I was expecting to come home to find posts about biology and the endocrine system".......but no, we served a heavy meal tonight.

As Dots would say stay amaze.

🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽🌽

Community Member

Hi sconner,

I found a nick name for u.

I find myself reseaching things like taoism for example. The mind body relationship in this ancient religon/way of life has my mind blown. Tai chi and yoga have a dicipline of mind body. Exercise while the mind is at peace. Is there a nerve that this benifical for?

I have manic episodes that push me to extreme fitness. While this is happening to me i feel great, not tired or sore when i should be.

Thanks

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey 1+1+1+3=6;

I've found one for you too! 'Six'

BTW...I love my new nickname! Sconnor...noice wun!

You've mentioned one important aspect this thread is supposed to address...adrenaline addiction. The other stuff re meditation etc, is closely linked, only different chemicals and levels. Similar to what SS wrote about listening to music.

I wish I had more time...I really do. My head's a bit scrambled..haven't eaten all day. I forget sometimes. Ok...blood sugar is relevant too. So is sleep. All these chemicals and the idea we don't even have to leave our own minds to get that 'fix'. It's intriguing how people are warming to this subject.

And James, I'm sorry I missed your name when giving mentions out. Lucky last yes? You're so far up the ladder my sweet. I think after what you've been through, you're doing a wonderful job sticking with it/us. Running a marathon? OMG...who does that? You...that's who. Mr inspiration strikes again. I wish people would 'believe' me and others who crank up the complements, because they're genuine! Can I suggest you look up a new thread from a few days ago which I've contributed to? It's called 'Bipolar Triggers' in the 'Staying Well' section by Tony WK. I think you'll get a lot out of it, at least I hope you do.

Corny..before I go; you gave me 11 corn cobs on the 11th of the 11th. Staying amaze as requested..xx

Well wishes all...Sconnor out! xoxo

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Sara, I had a bit of a chuckle yesterday, watching this thread grow and imagining the shock on your return. The fact that we're puppets jerking along to the effects of a cocktail of chemicals is a sobering thought...a very Buddhist concept. Much of this mix has been concocted in the past but can be remixed in the present, its worst effects neutralized by new inclusions. De-personalizes the drama a bit, doesn't it ?

Corny, you were close. My mother is (was?) not a schizophrenic but I once had a live-in, platonic relationship with someone who was. My mother had an array of mental issues, unacknowledged, so undiagnosed. The most obvious were PTSD, OCD and narcissism. Running away with a German soldier during the French Occupation wasn't viewed kindly so there were dire consequences. She denied it all and never got over it. The need to vent vanished many years ago. Forgiving did help. I can now either talk about it dispassionately if it will help others figure where I come from...or leave it alone. On the rare occasions when I go back there, the only feelings it triggers is a sense of wonder that I am still alive and an odd sense of gratitude that still surprises me. It has lost its emotional contents.

I may not be quite ready to admit a traumatic past was the best thing that happened to me but I have no regrets. Even desperation comes with gifts attached. It just takes time to discover them and put them to good use.

Though it can be inborn, I believe a life lived on the edge of death and sanity can make us ultra-perceptive. It can gain us access to an underground of common experience that lies beyond "normal" perceptions. I think we all had access to this at earlier stages of evolution...and lost it as the ape became stupid, too confused for her/his own good 🙂 Animals are better at this than we "superior" humans. That's probably what happened to you yesterday. I'm sorry it freaked you out.

Enjoy the week-end.

Love you all.

Thankyou for that beautifully written post Star;

You're correct about returning from my GP to a thread full of disclosures and interest...speaking of chemical reactions! lol

I'd like to continue on point about self-stimulation and the consequences or benefits to people with mental health issues. I'm not trying to dismiss accounts from any posts, so please don't think I'm not supportive. Due to being a person who's self educated in all things 'functional' within my brain, I continue to seek answers relating to how biology can help me understand, then act to heal and recover.

It seems to be a matter of the chicken and the egg...which comes 1st? When I was little and the onslaught of PTSD began, needing relief from fear due to violence and conflict was instinctual. Sugar was the perfect stimulant and solution for one so young. It became my drug of choice.

As we now know, sugar is a quick hit of 'uppers' to trick the brain into feelings of 'love', and the burst of energy is moreish. But its short lived effect brings cravings for more good feelings and energy. Once this cycle is established, the brain becomes accustomed to this 'unnatural' form of 'high'.

If we look at the natural chemicals produced in our bodies when love is felt, then we can begin to establish connections for people who 'live in their heads' as many of us do through isolation for instance. There's a massive addictive factor where our thoughts are concerned.

In my opening post, I spoke of fantasies that stimulate the senses with pseudo superiority or 'big' mentality where helplessness has pervaded our lives. SouceShield (SS) then went on to explain the chemical process.

Quote: It doesn't matter if a threat or situation is real or perceived the brain will release the same chemicals - the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous-systems will do what they do best...help you to survive, even if the threat is not real.

I'd like to expand on this quote by saying; we can manually stimulate specific chemicals thru external or internal mechanisms like sugar, or visualising 'with intent'. (Btw SS, I read Shakti's book 25 yrs ago and was mesmerised)

So for people who live in the realm (cycles) of receptors and transmitters, (our minds) the battle to explore reality and step out of our comfort zones becomes harder. Feeling in control is addictive; safe.

I welcome further comments or questions...I find this subject fascinating.

Sara xo

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

For an easy start, you could google NIMH<< Brain basics. It could help you figure where you want to go next. There is a "related searches" section at the end of the page, listing brain chemicals and specifically those chemicals that cause emotions.

Brilliant Star!

I read the whole info package from top to bottom. What a great simply written intro for newbies who want to learn about brain function and relationships to anxiety disorder and depression. I'm attaching the link:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/educational-resources/brain-basics/brain-basics.shtml

It had heaps about upcoming research and even had a simple case study. It's just what I'd hope this thread would become; information that inspires and educates, helping people to connect the dots.

Many, many thanks Star! Just what the doctor ordered.

The next step might include the relationship between our brains and the endocrine system; holistic chemical balance/imbalance. How the pancreas for instance, communicates with the brain. What other glands and organs produce and their purpose; chemical connective pathways in our bodies.

Understanding how our thoughts evoke processes of balance/imbalance re emotions and well being interests me deeply. I'm looking forward to our discussions continuing.

Waiting in positive anticipation...Sconnor xoxo

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Just an addit...adrenaline is from an endocrine gland, whereas endorphin's perform in the brain...body/mind connection.

Sconnor xo

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hell's grief...what on earth went wrong in my last post ???