FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Job Capacity Assessment of Centrelink

searchingforgalaxies
Community Member

I have Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 2, Chronic Anxiety Disorder, Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder and was advised to apply for the Disability Support Pension, I have been requested to attend a Job Capacity Assessment on Friday next week, even though my doctor has made it clear that I am unable to work. I struggle to leave the house, I frequently cry and have panic attacks in public places as a result of my anxiety and sensory overload related to ASD.

Has anyone done a JCA and could give me an idea of what to expect? What do I do if they expect me to be working when I can't even go and get groceries...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

6 Replies 6

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

The rate of approvals dropped dramatically about 8 years ago. I applied and was granted only 3 months prior so was very lucky.

In my experience Centrelink don't recognise your own personal doctors, therapists or psychiatrist as much as we'd like them to. Perhaps because that could be a loophole for a few. So you might be called upon (If you haven't already) to attend an assessment to an "approved" Centrelink medical professional For a report.

So let's say Clink, conclude you can work 8 hours a week. Then, sorry, that's their decision, you have to apply for jobs seeking that amount of work time.

Centrelink make their decisions based on many factors, age, disability type, etc that lead to a "capacity". If you are say 21yo and they approve you for DSP forever it means the taxpayer has to pay you payments for the next 45 years. If that situation was common then the country would suffer too much financially. If you were 57yo like I was 8 years ago, I'd paid taxes for 40 years before applying. See my point?

As unfair as it seems there is a reason behind every decision.

Good luck anyway.

TonyWK

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there

Do you have a support person who could go with you? These appointments can be quite unnerving.

They will ask you a lot of questions, and my advice is to give them as much information as possible, to convey what you can and can't do. Don't assume they have any knowledge whatsoever, even though you have provided information to Centrelink. If you can't leave your house sometimes, or you can only do so with a support person - say that. If you have difficulty concentrating or following instructions - say that. If you get tired easy from being around people or experience sensory overload - say that.

The person doing the assessment will be reporting back to Centrelink, what level of work they think you can do, based on what you've conveyed to them. So be very, very clear.

I honestly can't believe they're still doing this to people - but here we are. Please lean on your supports during this time. It's not a nice process. And remember, all decisions are appealable. If you don't agree - say so.

Kind thoughts, Katy

Hi Kat I suffer from schizophrenia have a carer that makes sure I take my monthly injections and daily tablets which makes me really tired I can't leave the house without her and I get extreme anxiety when left alone I can't trust anyone else to be around and I can't be out in public on my own and don't like being around radiation I can't focus or learn new things as I get older It gets worse now my DMA Is by video link up on telephone and I will have my care with me she explained her opinion that most of that to the JCA on the phone, do u think I will have a fair chance just with that it's all true

Sketchy1
Community Member
Does anyone know schizophrenia and have done a disability medical assessment what are some of the questions I can't believe I'm not already on DSP I worked for almost 10 year's straight before my illness got to much that I was a danger to myself and workmates around me boss even gave me have time off to have a break and get better but I got worse 4 years later on monthly injections still have syptoms just not so severe no way I could hold a job, before I had my Job capacity assessment last week a centrelink lady on phone said I come under not being able to hold a job for more then 7 to 14 hrs a week and that qualifys for DSP I have my Disability medical assessment on the 2nd of march video link up by telephone will have my carer with me

Hi there

I’m sorry I can’t be more help. I’m glad you have your carer to support you through this process. I’m not sure of their qualifications, or familiarity with the welfare system. There are some agencies that provide advocacy services for people seeking to gain access to DSP and/or NDIS. It may be worth getting in touch with one for support/advice if that works for you. I understand you have trust issues, perhaps your carer could support you with this, if it’s what you wish to do. I wish you the best with it. Take care. Katy

Amelia02
Community Member
Searchingforgalaxies and Sketchy1 - wish you the best of luck, agree with advice about leaning on your supports. I really hope you receive what you need.
The reasons you allude to behind refusal have nothing to do with health, TonyWK. The government shift the responsibility from themselves so it looks like they are delivering wonderfully economically.