FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to disagree respectfully? All ideas are welcome.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have noticed especially in social media but also in real life, that people find it hard to disagree with respect.

We have seen politicians being personal and rude to each other just because they have different opinions.

I don't think it is possible for us all to agree with each other but it is necessary for us to discuss our differences without attacking the personality of the other person.

How do you disagree with people showing politeness and respect.?

I encourage you to share your ideas, even if you find it hard to disagree respectfully.

I feel for our mental health it is important for us to be aware of how our comments may affect others.

Quirky

81 Replies 81

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks EM for your detailed answer.

I agree that people will disagree, I like discussing people who have different ideas.

Sadly there are those people who believe they are always right and then belittle you.

In debating one is told attack the argument but never the person.

we see public figures getting personal instead of arguing a point.

I avoid people who don’t respect my opinions.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sure quirky!

and that's well within your rights to do so! 100% agree.

The things you mentioned ....

"people who believe they are always right"

"belittle you"

"public figures getting personal"

Sometimes ppl like this are role models of how NOT to behave lol.

I'm certain this kind of stuff is abusive. (Gratefully I never hold politicians in high esteem anyway.)

Soooo once the red flags go UP, it's our decision and 100% right to ignore ignore ignore.

Love EM

Hi Quirky

The last line of your post caught my attention in relation to an issue I’m currently processing.

I hope it’s okay to ask, how does a person show they respect your opinion in a disagreement? Is it enough just to be heard?

Kind regards

Summer rose and everyone,

I think by not shouting, listening and remaining calm when disagreeing. Also say you have listened to their side but have a different opinion, or agree to disagree.

“Looking at things in a slightly different way, have you considered that [concept/perspective] could be a possibility?”

Between the poles,

I do listen to others and consider their perspective.That is a helpful point. Thanks.

I am thinking about listening and being respectful. I do thank you for your contribution. I think we can respect each other with out agreeing and we will never agree with everyone.

Thanks again for your ideas.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Disagreement, in its essence, infers disapproval for one holding a view regardless of how distorted it may appear to the recipient (or even in the presence of cold hard fact) - hence, disagreement is inherently provocative as individual perceptions are pitted against one another and defended more out of personal pride than finding evidencial solutions (as opposed to merely proving one's own case). To disagree is to assert there must be one who is right and the other wrong; thus the presumption of personal slur and subsequent indignation giving rise to elevated tensions. So to 'disagree respectfully' is somewhat of a dichotomy as disagreement is never respectful of the other's view. Equally, 'agreeing to disagree' can be akin to placing one's hands over their ears and shouting lalalala as it signals negotiations have reached an impasse - leaving the resolution hanging in its combative state.
Essentially, one should never feel compelled to disagree with anyone as it purports superiority of one opinion over another.
Perhaps seeking clarification of why someone believes as they do is as far as one should delve to avoid demeaning another's right to hold that view.
Then again, I have probably just demonstrated that I disagree with some comments made here (or even the very premise of this thread!). I don't. You all make your case very well and the message is clear: be considerate and value opinions that differ from your own. The world is getting smaller and we should fear homogenisation of thought.

Hi Quirky and all,

Thanks for this thoughtful discussion. I don’t want to loose track of it, so I’m also just tagging for now.

Lillylane

Tranzcybe

Thanks fir your detailed well thought out post.

I find it interesting how different people can interpret disagree.
I suppose I feel it would not be possible to agree on simple things like what food we like to eat let alone in political and philosophical matters.

I too do not want homogenisation of thought and welcome your ideas which have given me much to ponder.

Lily,and and everyone reading,

nearly a year since I last wrote has much changed. With many differences in how people view vaccines, and the way people see society,

there are many ways that we may disagree with others.

Are you finding it hard to be respectful when you fundamentally disagree with so done who questions your values.?