FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

DOG, a New Years resolution;

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I have made many new years resolutions over the years, I think I've resolved to lose weight for the last twenty odd! My target this year is alcohol, so I am seeing how many Days Off Grog I can have. I started on NYE day so will have completed sixteen by the end of the fifteenth. Is anyone doing this? If you want to do it with me, just post your number of days. Anything else is optional.

Kind regards, John.

75 Replies 75

Ho John,

Congratulations on your 41 days. It's inspiring.

I've been in a full deppressive cycle. Even eating seems to be too much of a task at the moment. I was 8 days without chocolate, but today, I had some. It seems like it's been ages thoughz

Hey,

I suppose this is an update. Managed to drag myself out of bed and go for a cycle. Did about 9km too much though, broke my body down a bit. But I made it home. I remember there was a time I felt more of a sense of accomplishment when I did something like this. I'm not so tired and dehydrated or anything. I kept well nourished during the ride and after. But, at least I got out of bed once this week. 

I'm going to see a psychologist on Thursday. I'm not sure about if I should tell my family or how. What do you guys think? It's giving me a little anxiety.

How are you both doing?

Joelle

Hi Joelle,

I know it is common too spend too much time in bed for some of us, including moi, but I want to congratulate you for going out to exercise. That is fantastic!

As for your appointment, may I suggest that if it eases your anxiety, you keep the first appointment without telling anyone, then talk to the psychologist about your feelings about who knows about your treatment. I think people that admit they have a problem and seek help are very brave. It is all too easy to drift along without having to face the harsh reality of treatment.

I'm still alcohol free and eating okay.

Kind regards, John.

Hi John,

Thanks.  Hopefully the exercise will help me sleep  well tonight.  

I was thinking about doing exactly what you said; keep it to myself and get advice about broaching the subject.  Wanted affirmation for my thoughts, I suppose.  In all fairness I've been drifting along all of this time, but maybe now I think I'm ready to accept or face it.  Maybe I'm still making my mind up about it.  It is too easy to do nothing, But it also feels hard.

Good stuff, keep it up.

Sincerely,

Joelle

Hi Joelle and Neil,

44 DOG today.

How are you guys going?

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John,

Well done.

I'm doing alright.  Had a bit of chocolate today but, a small bit.  Nothing at all like I used to.  

Thanks.

What about you Neil?

Kind regards,

Joelle

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Apologies for barging in.

today I broke my 310 day abstinence from alcohol.

not good.

lookingforme
Community Member

Hi Hideaway,

Welcome to the thread. You're not barging in, so don't worry.

Can I ask what made you break that abstinence? Do you feel like you' do it again tomorrow? 

Throughout this thread we've sort of reaffirmed the idea that we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves when we do slip up. Just that tomorrow is another day and we can try again. So maybe, you can keep that in mind tomorrow?

let us know how you go, and if you need some support, you can find it here.

lookingforme
Community Member
PS - i should lso note that 310 days is an amazing accomplishment and you should be proud of that achievement regardless

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there LFM

No particular reason for breaking my DOG.  Just to relax I think.

Will I do it again tmw? Haha, the way I feel this morning, no way! 

Take care

k