FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

DOG, a New Years resolution;

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I have made many new years resolutions over the years, I think I've resolved to lose weight for the last twenty odd! My target this year is alcohol, so I am seeing how many Days Off Grog I can have. I started on NYE day so will have completed sixteen by the end of the fifteenth. Is anyone doing this? If you want to do it with me, just post your number of days. Anything else is optional.

Kind regards, John.

75 Replies 75

Anny
Community Member
Good on you for preparing John! 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear John, Anny and Neil, I have to congratulate all of you for your dry-out period, red and white blood cells shaping up again, turning around and going through the booze bus a few times, only joking, but by stopping the alcohol it brings your platelets back into balance and these are important because if they are all messed up it can cause a stroke. Well done. Geoff.

Anny
Community Member

Hi John,

No one knows for sure what might have been or what will be in life but yes one thing is for certain , 16 yr old girls do not like their dads being drunk at their party! 

I too will raise a glass ( mineral water ) tonight in honour of the special birthday.

Hear , hear DAY 20 is for Jessica!

Love Anny x

Anny
Community Member

P.S

If you feel like talking about Jessica please do. I'm sure we would all like to hear about her .

x

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi all

Just to clarify John – there were actually 8 beers that had that six hour expiry date on them!    🙂

And I agree with you 100% - taking up with a drink, the inclination to go for a walk after dinner is nigh on impossible;   whereas, if having DOG days, it is so much easier to get out for a stroll.

In my first week off the grog, I lost 900g.   Week two saw me lose just 200g.   So this week, I might ramp up my cardio a bit more – but it does generally go like that;   if you have a lower week, the following week will generally be a good reduction.  I think it’s all to do with the body workings/metabolism etc, catching up and getting rid of the unnecessary body parts (my nicer terminology of the word, “fat”).

Oh and Anny, it’s funny to read profiles of bodybuilders;  when it comes to their favourite drink.   The most common answer is either water;  or say a protein shake of some description;   sometimes a female will respond with a nice glass of white wine.   If I was asked it’d be either:   James Boags, Budweiser, Crown Lager or VB.   🙂   🙂

John, I will raise a glass of lemon iced tea tonight for your Jessica.

Kind regards

Neil

Anny
Community Member

Hi John ,

Just wondering how you are doing? 

Anny x 

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Anny,

Thanks for asking. I am keeping busy today and not dwelling on my angel too much. Still not drinking and plan to keep it that way.

Others have sent their kind thoughts, also, and Neil will have a lemon iced tea in her memory tonight.

She would have been such a beautiful young lady by now. (Now I'm crying a little bit, but still on the water!)

Let me know on your other thread how you went today!

Kind regards, John.

Anny
Community Member

Hi John, Neil , Tony and Geoff ( hope I haven't forgotten anyone ) and anyone who would like to join me in my goal. I am joining in the count.

I have just downloaded a new app . It's a meditation app called " headspace". They will be 10 min sessions and counted daily. 

I am going to start tomorrow and hopefully will post my numbers . I need to do this every day to quiet my heart and my mind. 

Will keep you posted . 

Anny x

Anny
Community Member

Hi folks!

Well I went through the 10 min but was hopeless , think I remembered what I was supposed to be doing about 8 min into it - yesterday after I posted I did the first one and due to novelty was much better - will get there . So day 2! 

John- DAY 21!

Have lots to say but am in a huge hurry this morning . 

Neil??

Have a good one !!

Anny x

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi all

I hope you got through yesterday ok John – I did raise my glass last evening and hoped that you were doing the same, perhaps with iced water or something similar.  And during those times, yes, it makes the abstinence just “that much” harder – so over the past week, you’ve had the memory of your beautiful young daughter, not to mention the session at the pub with your mates to cope with.  And cope with, you have and brilliantly so.   I can really see you keeping this streak going for a long long time now.

Another day ticked off for me;   today will be Day 19.

(I will make a quick proviso here though – and I think Anny has touched on this previously as well – that no matter who is doing this and how many days they’ve gone for;  that IF something comes along and there is a slight glitch for a day [or maybe a few more];  then that is absolutely fine and the number count will just commence again, when the process begins again.   I think the thing to think on with this is that, for whoever of us who is doing this – and the days chalk up;  but then something pops up and we have a little ‘drink’, we can always begin again;   and to know that prior to the little glitch, that the body has been grog free for X number of days and for that, the health process is all smiles and thank you’s for doing that).

Anny, great that you’re getting on board – albeit with a different quest, but a quest taken on is brilliant and I’m glad you’re able to share with us.  I also think the sharing part helps as well – to make us not only accountable to ourselves, but to others too.

Cheers with water,

Neil