FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dear Diary, a day to day look at self isolation

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

I have gone into self isolation . I will be alone and not seeing any friends or family.

I know we have other threads, but I would really like people to share their day to day thoughts and activities:

the highlights

the fun things

the frustrations

he things you can change

I think each day it would be good to share On thing that surprised me to day.

I would like you to share your ideas because it will help us all work out how.

So here is my first entry bit will be back later.

Dear Diary,

Day 1

I am not sure whether I am excited or a bit unsure.

I know I will need to distract myself and hide the chocolate biscuits.!!

I have a list of what I want to do but I think it is too ambitious.

One thing that surprised me was how much noise I like to have when alone. This may change.

Quirky

112 Replies 112

PhoebeWings
Community Member

Great thread!

Highlights:

Texts from my reunited son over in the UK. A few years ago he posted a photo of himself age about 6 yrs old. The only photo I have of his childhood. This week I cropped and edited it to focus on his beautiful eyes and plan to have it printed onto canvas.

Fun Things:

We found a lonely tomato plant growing amongst weeds in an abandoned vege garden per the previous occupant of our house.

It had one glorious cherry tomato.

We were thrilled ( I know, we’re a bit daft like that 😉)

We didn’t pick it straight away.

We replanted in a large pot and looked forward to more...standing the pot out on our lawn, under a tree.

Next morning... tomato gone.

I’m still grinning thinking of the wild life opportunist who snagged it over night.

Frustrations:

Argh. Just the weird sense of things not being normal.

Things you can change:

Perhaps my listlessness. To be honest, I’m not doing well. I could probably change that.

My grief and sadness index is way too high. There you go. It’ll pass...

Phoebe wings thanks for your post. I like the story of your tomato.

Grief and loss is hard to cope with. Hope you are taking time to be kind for yourself.

Welcome to all who are reading this thread for the first time.

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Quirky & all,

I love this thread as a little space to reflect & share our ups & downs 🙂

Highlights: I’m grateful for our frontline workers. Technically, that’s not necessarily a “highlight”, but surely gratitude counts?

Frustrations: Sorry, I would like to vent. I hope that’s okay as it’s really bothering me...

I feel frustrated by people who are still congregating/gathering with others or going out for non-essential reasons etc.

My friend recently lost a patient to COVID-19. He is pretty distraught, as he had to make difficult (but necessary) decisions that meant the patient’s family could not say goodbye. The grieving family took it out on my friend, & screamed & yelled at him. He’s a doctor & was only doing his job.

People like my friend don’t get to “turn off” the news. They deal with this during all kinds of very long hours during shift work...he has temporarily moved out of home as he fears that he could unknowingly infect loved ones. So he is literally all by himself after work.

My point is this is serious. It’s not a game. Yet I feel some people still don’t seem to take it seriously. I think it’s sometimes even due to blatant disregard or self serving behaviours.
That upsets me...

Fun: not sure yet

Things I can change: I am learning patience, stillness & letting go.

1 thing that surprised me: the question mark remains

Thank for reading & letting me share my frustrations.

Kindness and care,

Pepper

Peppermint,

Your Empathy and Compassion can be felt from here. Those are wonderful emotions, but they take a toll on us.

Having a heart as beautiful as yours is not easy. I am happy that you shared your feelings with us, for I feel the same feelings as you, in my own ways.

It is a mix of sadness, but it is also a warming feeling, if you let yourself realise that there is a flame inside you, warming and burning, even with all the craziness around us. That means you're a beautiful person, and some people haven't had yet a chance to have these feelings yet. Hopefully, one day they will. Hopefully without having to pay a price too heavy.

Right now, the most important thing we can do is focus on the positive and help others. Everyone needs some time for mourning, even if it is mourning for someone we never knew and only saw once. Let your friend, if you haven't yet, know that you are there if they need you. That comfort is important. It strengthens both and you can be sure, we are here for you too.

Guest_1055
Community Member

Diary

highlights - that I can now make a delicious homemade baked beans

fun things-
frustrations- I have difficulty with doing dishes. I get frustrated with myself that I am like that. The pile of them overwhelms me.

things you can change -

surprised me to day -

That's about it for today

Diary

Shell thanks for your diary entry.

highlights - I bought some needles and wool and am knitting the worlds shortest plainest scarf

fun things-watching parodies on youtube of songs on virus .

frustrations- I have difficulty with my moods
things you can change - I can stop procrastinating, I can have a routine,

surprised me to day - the way we can't have one rule for the whole of Australia instead of each state having different rules.

hanks everyone reading, if you haven't posted have a go .

It can be in any format. One sentence would be fine. I find it will keep a record of how I felt at the time.

Gambit87
Community Member

Highlights: My parents coming to visit me over the easter break. My mum told me that we were in the same zone (in WA, the government has divided the states into zones and you cant cross into different zones) and I was allowed to have 2 guests - so I didnt have a leg to stand on if I were to mention restrictions haha.

Frustrations: The usual staying indoors. Theres only so much i can do inside haha

Fun: Playing exploding kittens with my partner haha. Also getting into a pure strategy game on the playstation

Things I can change: remembering that this is temporary. Do a little more self care when I feel im getting into a rut.

One thing that surprised me: ?

eight
Community Member

exploding kittens is a fun game wish i didnt go from loving matt inman to being utterly disgusted by his art style for some reason i cant answer to myself

highlights: finished that big clean of my room today. cleaned the first half of on. thursday or friday i think

frustrations: i had to go through my bookshelf and i hate how i just. fell out of love with books. i had like an entire row and a half on my shelves full of series and series and series i read constantly when i was younger and now i've outgrown them all or they bore me or i don't have the attention span for those long series. i even have it in my notes app all the books i keep wanting to read and even if i have all the time in the world it feels easier just to stare at my screen until oh christ its eleven now time for bed

fun: on today's walk my dog who usually needs to be lifted over this grate bridging the path across a creek jumped across. i thought she was too old to be that agile huh!

things i can change: remembering to eat food. or at least not grabbing junk when i realise im hungry. im bad at reading my body's signals like that

one thing that surprised me: finding a bag full of freshly-bought shirts shirts that didn't fit me and finding their receipt that dates back to... 18/06/2018

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Eight, gambit, Shell, wandering around, Pepper and everyone reading anyone I missed,

Thanks for sharing your day and thoughts. It helps me.

highlights: Today I sat in the sun and just sat. I am grateful I have a lovley verandah overlooking a small garden.

frustrations: I seem to be tired and irritable

fun: sitting in the sun

things I can change: I can try to do more housework and make an effort.

What surprised me? the way people interpret isolation very differently.

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Quirky & all,

Wandering Around: wow, thank you so very much. Your words were completely unexpected, but so very much appreciated. It really moved me, & I was a little speechless for a bit...but in a nice way 🙂

Thank you for taking (making) time out of your day, & amidst whatever personal troubles you’re going through, to write to me.

Your time, empathy & thoughtfulness means a lot...

My friend did his best & followed hospital protocol, but yes, it will take time for him to process & grieve in his own way. Thank you for the gentle reminder to support him...

It does make me wonder about the psychological toll that these kinds of things take on hospital staff...it can’t be easy...

A warm thank you for being here for me, as well as others 🙂

Highlights: feeling supported & cared for.

Frustrations: (laughs) the usual...

Fun: I will be either reading or making art later tonight.

One thing I can change: again, I’m still working on patience & letting go.

One thing that surprised me: the unexpected kindness of a stranger’s post. Thank you Wandering Around 🙂

Kindness and care,

Pepper