FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Relationships with my boss. Is it too close?

Sueetties
Community Member

Hi
i haven’t been to this forum since 2018. I am back today wanting to see some posts how people are doing.

I have been working from home since when COVID started. It’s been over 1.5 years. I have lately had a strange feeling with my boss. I feel that the relationship is awkward as there isn’t a fine line between two of us. She can text me whenever what’s she’s doing and her children etc. I certainly don’t like to speak to her about my personal issues non do I like to be-friend with her. Not because she’s not nice but she’s my boss. I just want to talk about work related issues

last week I took two days off as I think depression kicked in again. I texted her in the morning that I wasn’t feeling well and I wasn’t able to work. My boss then sent me 4 lots of texts in that 2 days asking me how I felt and if I was able to get to see a doctor etc.

I admit that she’s kind of a caring person. But because we started from a colleague relationships. She was promoted to become my direct line manager about 2 years ago. The feeling has been awkward to me and I don’t know how to handle this!

I didn’t want to tell her that I want a bit of personal space. I started thinking if we are just too close! I started kind of withdrawing myself a little.

Am I thinking too much or is it a healthy normal relationships? I am an introvert person…

1 Reply 1

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Suetties,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing an uncomfortable situation with your boss. I agree with you that she is likely this way because you were previously colleagues and so she is trying to establish a more “friendly” vibe between yourselves, and she likely also genuinely cares. That being said, I completely get your need to separate work from home. The last thing you want when taking a few days off is to be messaged and reminded of work. I don’t think you need to confront her at this stage of discuss it with her in person, I think that you just need to keep doing what you’re doing, don’t answer the text messages and then just say in person something along the lines of “sorry I was busy doing x” and then answer the question. She’ll get the hint soon enough.