FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My family is being controlling in my medical life

yeah_coco
Community Member

Hey all, so i’m almost 21 and have recently had some issues regarding hormones. so im starting to show signs of PCOS such as hirsutism (male pattern body hair e.g. chest, back, chin) and irregular periods however blood tests and ultrasounds show nothing unusual and there’s no signs of PCOS at all. So my doctor at this point thinks it could just be uneven levels of my androgens and isn’t anything serious but the course of treatment would be the birth control pill. 

i’ve taken the pill before but it really counteracted my antidepressants and my doctor was not comfortable with that side effect.

Now i know at the end of the day it’s my choice to take these pills and the doctor has told me the only negative effect of not taking them is my hormones not fully regulating and possible self esteem issues (due to having thick facial hair like a teen boy’s beard) but my family is actually trying to force me to take these new pills. i’m not comfortable taking them as i feel it’s for no actual reason since the hair is only a cosmetic issue and isn’t showing any underlying conditions. im not bothered by having the hair but my family is, so how do i tell my family to respectfully mind their own business as it’s my body and my choice. 

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Yeah_coco~

Welcome here to the Forum, a place where many younger (and some even older) people have difficulties with their parents.

I"m sorry you have this condition at the moment but admire the sense wiht which you regard the problem.

May I ask do you often have disagreements wiht your parents? If so how have you handled it in the past?

I guess if this is an isolated instance it may be a genuine regard for your welfare, a lack of understanding of the medical side, or embarrassment as to your condition showing.

How you approach the matter of course depends on these or other motivations.  One obvious thing is simply to say that due to serious adverse reactions between medications your doctor considers the pill is currently contra-indicated. That in itself should be enough

I guess the only other thing I'd say is to remain flexible, keep observing your condition in conjunction with your doctor and if more serious effects of PCOS  become apparent rethink your situation.

Croix

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi yeah_coco

Can't help but wonder whether you're a bit of a researcher and have any interest in researching natural ways to lower androgen levels, while also looking into what tends to raise them. So, it's not so much about how you appear and more so about developing the ability to naturally manage hormones, which could be something that comes to serve you throughout your life. This way, you could also say to your family 'I've chosen to manage my hormones naturally, without medication'. How far you want to take this is up to you. Whether you choose the path of basic research or one of consulting a naturopath or an entirely different path, could end up being a bit of a rabbit hole experience as you gather more and more knowledge and understanding of how the human body works in certain ways (its chemistry and chemical side effects included).

Being a mum, I can understand where your parents may be coming from. While the hirsuitism is not a problem now, perhaps in their mind it may pose problems (like with self esteem) as it possibly develops to a point you're not comfortable with. My 21yo daughter faces the opposite problem, with hair loss. While it never bothered her too much up to a point, it's something that does play on her mind more and more as she's gotten older (impacting her self esteem to some degree). I feel for her so much, perhaps the same way your parents feel for you.

With you already establishing the pill as not being the best way to manage, I can completely understand. Myself, I can't take it as it triggers depression for me. Based on my own experience with depression, the difference on the pill and off it is more than obvious. I think, at the end of the day it's about perhaps considering alternatives if you decide you need them further down the track, as an option. Of course, the choice remains yours. 🙂