FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel so alone and mis understood

AC66
Community Member

Hi all,

I am new to this and a bit nervous.

I feel so confused, everyone around me are making me feel so stupid and are all saying that I need mental help because of my way of thinking or how I feel. I know that I am an over thinker and I am working on it. Every time I ask my partner a question, he says that it's an accusation. Like  I heard a text go off at 1am so today I said " You got a text last night" and he is saying that the question is an accusation. I said that I wasn't at all, that I heard a text. That's all. He is saying that I don't hear the way I say this and if it wasn't an accusation, why say it at all.

I really can't understand it. I feel so alone and misunderstood by everyone. They are all saying that I need to get help and I don't listen. I do listen but no one is saying what it is that I don't listen to. I am hurting all the time.

Thank you all for your time

1 Reply 1

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi AC66

Thinking differently from everyone else isn't necessarily a bad thing. Kind of like if we're the most conscious person out of everyone we know, then we're going to be thinking and expressing our self in a far more conscious manner. This can sometimes be misinterpreted as 'overthinking', 'overanalysing', 'picking the hell out of everything', 'making even the smallest things and issue' and the list goes on. Take the text message for example and how you were conscious of the ding at that time of the morning. You expressed what you were conscious of.

I think this is where tone can play a big part, amongst other things (including facial expression). Whether we use a tone that reflects a simple observation or one that reflects a sense of accusation or one that reflects anger and so on, tone of voice is something that can be felt by others. I find that when I use a direct matter of fact tone with my husband, he can become a little defensive, misinterpreting that as an attacking tone. For example, if he was to say 'What time will dinner be ready?', I may say 'Six o'clock. I'm not going to call you at six'. It is a matter of fact that I'll have it ready at 6 and it's his responsibility to be at the table at that time. He should show up at that time out of courtesy. It's a direction I'd given anyone yet he sees it as aggressive because I use a direct tone of voice.

If you're a more conscious person compared to others or someone who simply likes to wonder out loud or someone who speaks in a more matter of fact direct manner and you tend to use a reasonable tone, I'd be asking everyone what their problem is. If we're also a deeply feeling person, there can be a tendency to express how we feel more than most would. Sometimes insensitive people will tend to question such a nature, shut it down a little or see it as a problem.