FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Community Manager
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Fear of dating

LadyFlower
Community Member

Hi there, I’m in my 20’s and never been in a relationship. I have considered joining online dating to meet and talk with people. However, the thought of it and then potentially going on a date makes me very anxious. To the point that I would rather not meet anyone. I’m scared at the thought of introducing to my family, I won’t have enough time, I just don’t know what to do.

Any advice?

4 Replies 4

IsaJett
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Ladyflower,

Welcome to this forum . 20 is young and there is no pressure no timeline ..nothing that says that you should date . I feel it is best you just take it nice and slow and let it happen organically .Personally I wouldn’t recommend a dating online .

There are many ways to meet new people .

Don’t put pressure on yourself that it has to be a date .

make new friends.. join a new hobby group or something . Pursue a art or something ...so like u r doing an activity versus trying to find someone to date .

it could be a book club or something you enjoy doing ...and then you might meet someone or you might not ...but see there’s no pressure at all and that’s when things can flow a little better and it’s less daunting . The key is perhaps you are doing an activity that you enjoy and the rest will hopefully follows .

i hope this makes sense for you . Don’t stress about it at all ..as it will eventually happen . It usually comes around when you least expect it .good luck with it . I hope this helps you

Betternow
Community Member

IsaJett is right. Take it easy, there’s no hurry. More life mistakes are made by rushing into situations than by being a little late to the party.

I’ve never used a dating site but from what I’ve read, they seem to have their share of ugly stories. Try and enjoy a healthy network of friends of both sexes and when you least expect it, someone will ask you out.

And when that happens, one thing I can almost guarantee you, your date will probably be more nervous than you!

lonelyglassesgirl
Community Member

Hi LadyFlower,

I also sort of feel this way. I was raised in a conservative religion and went to an all-girls' high school, then studied a fairly female-dominated course, so I didn't really even have friends of the opposite sex from ages 12-22! I'm also pretty socially awkward anyway, especially in anything approaching a romantic situation, and I have to admit that this "fear of dating" is probably part of what's holding me back.

It's a real struggle. Sometimes I feel like I'll never feel comfortable enough to get close to someone (emotionally or physically), let alone become physically intimate.

However, I have had some success in trying to "get out there" and engage in activities in mixed-gender groups (e.g. hobbies, causes). This has made me feel more comfortable talking to guys and relating to them in social situations, and I have been on a couple of dates and was even briefly in a ?kind-of potential? relationship (it was LDR and then two dates that went badly, unfortunately).

I haven't had much success with online dating, but I've also not had many of the horror stories you hear about (unsolicited dick pics, etc); the worst is mainly 40+ year old guys liking/messaging you. (Nothing against 40+ year old guys but if I have stated on my profile that my preference is 23-30 -- I'm 25 -- then it's kind of creepy to message me when you're 52.)

Thank you all for the responses. It is something that concerns but it will happen when it does. I just have a panic attack at the the thought of a date and want that to change somehow. But it will happen in time hopefully