Relationship and family issues

Anything to do with managing relationships and family, including parenting, separation, loneliness, divorce, family and friendships.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: 3 important tips to get the most out of this section
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following... View more

Hi everyone, The Relationships & Family Issues section is one of the busiest here on our forums. It's also one of the areas where we find members can get themselves into trouble! Before posting here, take a deep breath and be mindful of the following 3 tips: 1. Do you really want to share this with the world? This is a public forum. Are you thinking of posting something that could identify you to a friend or family member? Once you've posted, you can't delete what you've written and we don't take posts down from here unless they've broken one of our community rules. This is because our members spend a lot of time composing replies, and there is a much wider audience that gets a lot out of reading what has been written. It's not fair to ask the community for support, then ask to have it removed once you've read it so others can't also benefit. Use discretion when posting here - think about the level of detail you are sharing, and think also about who might know you are posting here. Also, please keep it clean: this is an all ages forum and explicit discussions about sexual problems are not permitted. Threads and posts of this nature will be removed and your account placed on a moderation hold. 2. What do you want to get out of posting here? Relationship and family issues are stressful. Members sometimes post here seeking advice about a relationship that has broken down, but find themselves getting upset when they don't agree with the response they get. This is a peer support forum, meaning we are not mental health professionals. We are people of all ages and backgrounds, with a wide range of life experiences. While we aim for our discussions to be conducted respectfully, people here will respond with the truth as they see it, from their own experiences and perspectives. We are not here to take sides. Offence is almost never intentional, but it can be sometimes taken. The advice you will see here is not intended to be a substitute for professional counselling. 3. What other support do you have? Most people posting on our forums (about any issue) use this space as a supplement to other supports. This forum is not and cannot be a substitute for offline supports, but it is often a good place to start the ball rolling and find the courage for seeking help. If you are relying solely on an internet forum to resolve your relationship or family issues, you are likely to be disappointed. Check out the Healthy Homes section of our Healthy Families website for further information and resources.

All discussions

Rhianna_n Absolutely fuming...
  • replies: 2

Hi there, A little long but context is important... A month ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. The pregnancy itself was fine, no issues or complications. At one of my prenatal appointments I discussed the fact that my living situation wasn’t i... View more

Hi there, A little long but context is important... A month ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. The pregnancy itself was fine, no issues or complications. At one of my prenatal appointments I discussed the fact that my living situation wasn’t ideal and was promised help via a hospital social worker. For four months I was promised to be high-priority for housing, something I’ll admit I felt too proud to take but wanted as a temporary option for me and my baby so we could be safe until I got back on my feet. I felt good about escaping a domestic violence situation and overcrowding and looked forward to the birth. Fast forward to 5 days after giving birth in a hospital with no visitors because of covid, having endured a 36-hour labour that was painful and needed medical interventions that terrified me, the social worker announces that the hospital can no longer keep me there and the house she found for me is deemed unsuitable so if I have no family to house me, my son would go into foster care. I had no choice but to return to my parents house with a manipulative mother. She never congratulated me on the birth so I hesitantly sent her a message updating her about the baby. That same day the social worker announces that child protection workers have been contacted as a complaint was made against my baby’s father. I 100% believe that she made the complaint along with my dad. They have no grounds to file one. In fact, I spent 10 years in a house with her while she drank herself stupid nightly, didn’t feed me and my siblings, verbally abused and manipulated us, refused to wash our clothes, assaulted my dad along with many, many other things. And her emotional abuse and manipulation is still happening. I’m scared of her and I feel pure hatred towards her. Honestly, if she dropped dead tomorrow, I wouldn’t shed a tear. I hate how she makes me feel and I hate how angry and jaded I’ve become in what should be one of the happiest times of my life. I’m not sure if others have experienced similar, but it would be nice if anyone could offer any ways of coping until I can leave and be free of both her and my dad. I really needed to reach out as I feel alone and severely depressed.

Dayon So close yet so far
  • replies: 8

My husband always go home from work and sometimes he got 2 weeks off from but I can't feel his presence because we don't eat together,we don't sleep together same bed but different sleeping time he slept after lunch up to 7 in the evening and my slee... View more

My husband always go home from work and sometimes he got 2 weeks off from but I can't feel his presence because we don't eat together,we don't sleep together same bed but different sleeping time he slept after lunch up to 7 in the evening and my sleeping time is 8pm he would go back to bed maybe 12 midnight i'm not sure because I already sound asleep I haven't experience cuddles before going to sleep we can only have sex when I followed him to bed on his afternoon sleep but sometimes he will refuse if I will hug him because he said his tummy was full and I will feel neglected plus I'm the one who will always drive when we are having sex he will just lay in bed and just let me do all the things until I get pregnant still the same I always do the first move and he is like dead lying down I felt embarassed of myself and felt he doesn't love me until the baby came out so I am too busy with the baby and gets tired all the time and got no time to follow him to bed when he will have his afternoon sleep because I need to look after our baby and our marriage become sexless now for 9 months I' m still 34 and he is 54. And all I have to do is look after our baby and household chores and his routine is work watch tv drink smoke and sleep . I felt so alone and neglected plus I don't have a job so I don't have any money. Questions is that because of his age that's why he is not interested in sex anymore or he doesn't love me? How can you leave a husband like this when you got no job and with 2 children one is 10 year old and the other is 9 months hard to live in the relationship where you felt unwanted but can't survive on your own when you leave.Please I need some advice.

FayS New parents
  • replies: 1

Been blessed with a beautiful baby 3months ago and been over the moon. My husband has been helpful but we are now struggling as a couple on emotional level so much so that after having a yelling episode at each other he said let's get divorced. First... View more

Been blessed with a beautiful baby 3months ago and been over the moon. My husband has been helpful but we are now struggling as a couple on emotional level so much so that after having a yelling episode at each other he said let's get divorced. First thing I'm hurt that he thought about it as an option second thing, idk if I'm ready for divorce. He's right now complaining about how I'm not able to be intimate with him which I find hard as result of postpartum pains/harmonal melt down etc and how I react towards what he says. He pushes me to verge of anger and expects patience. I'm so lost. We were not like this and have been married for over 6 years. I have been independent and working before baby and now on mat leave. Idk who to turn to talk it out but I do know he's wrong and expects a lot for now and I am not able to control either. I need help plz!!

Overblue stealing from my wallet

My partner steals cash from my wallet, have resorted to hiding my wallet, she finds it anyway. Im thinking of writing a note and taping it to the money so she knows that I know.

My partner steals cash from my wallet, have resorted to hiding my wallet, she finds it anyway. Im thinking of writing a note and taping it to the money so she knows that I know.

JT85 Wife had affair for 2.5 months, while we were trying for babies. Help!
  • replies: 6

Hey everyone, My wife and I have been married for a year, and I just found out she had an affair with a druggie. whilst this was happening we were trying for kids. She made me go get baby furniture whilst this was all happening. I work in mining on a... View more

Hey everyone, My wife and I have been married for a year, and I just found out she had an affair with a druggie. whilst this was happening we were trying for kids. She made me go get baby furniture whilst this was all happening. I work in mining on a 7/7 roster, during this time we had never been happier. I knew something was happening but she said I had developed anxiety and got me medicated. Now I don’t know what to do, As she’s my wife I feel like i owe it to her to try but I keep finding out stuff and it makes me feel worthless. Please give me some advice.

Overblue *trigger warning* It says something about a relationship when you wonder if your partner is dead in their room

When I came in the garage from mowing our acreage yesterday about 9:30 am I was surprised to see my partner up and awake having a smoke. She says "I thought you were dead in your room because your door was shut and you were not up when I went to town... View more

When I came in the garage from mowing our acreage yesterday about 9:30 am I was surprised to see my partner up and awake having a smoke. She says "I thought you were dead in your room because your door was shut and you were not up when I went to town" She doesn't go out much, and I was surprised she had already been to get her eyebrows done at the beauty salon. It says something about a relationship when you wonder if your parter is dead in thier room, but you dont go in to see if they are alright. To be honest, I've thought the exact same thing many times, over the past few years, wondering if she is dead in her room. I didnt want to go in and see either.

Lost27 Big fight now feel nothing
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone I need help, So my bf was abused when he was younger and attached himself to lying to save himself and has become a habit and never had an adult or anyone to teach him to become an adult. He is not abusive or anything he loves with every... View more

Hey everyone I need help, So my bf was abused when he was younger and attached himself to lying to save himself and has become a habit and never had an adult or anyone to teach him to become an adult. He is not abusive or anything he loves with everything. This I know. Now fast forward to being with me o have had to help if with being an adult like money budgeting and not being so lazy which I know some people need help with. But the proble is he has lied to me quite a few times. Yes, they arent massive lies but I have told him how any type of lie hurts and the truth is always much better then me finding out because I always do. He says everytime he wont do it again and that the reason he does it is because he is scaredbwhay I am going to react and he used it as a coping mechanism when he was young. For example I kept asking if he had messaged his grandfather over and over and kept saying no until he said he that he did and come up with this whole conversation he had. Which never happened. After I while I said that I would take I anymore that one more time and I'm gone. Then fast forward a month or so we where talking about him graduating college and kept making up thinks like he doesnt have his degree because his parents have it then it was he never printed it to he only did online classes. He said he was worried i would think less than him if he did just on line classes than normal college. I wouldnt care either way. This time I said I was done doing this and that we need a space for a bit so I can think. We didnt sleep in the same bed and I'm not allowing kissing or anything. I think this time he really thinks I'm going to go. I dont even know I'm really confused. I feel like I should go because I said last time I would but I dont know. He said he will show me and he said has been stupid and it has been really hard to brake these habits but he does not want to lose me and he never wants to do this again and needs to grow up. He has gotten better. He was worse off when I was first was with him. He has grown into such an amazing man. But at the moment I am confused with how I feel. Half of me wants to kiss and cuddle him but then half of me feels so numb. Like I feel nothing. I dont understand what I am feeling or what to do. I understand they arent massive lies or chetching but it still hurts and I'm just ahh Please help

Queenbee8 Feeling heartbroken and alone

My husband has betrayed me and I try to forgive him but he has done so many things to hurt me. I have no one to talk to and I don’t know what to do anymore!

My husband has betrayed me and I try to forgive him but he has done so many things to hurt me. I have no one to talk to and I don’t know what to do anymore!

contrarymary My partner sees my mental health problems as a failing on my part
  • replies: 11

I have been to my GP about my stress and anxiety which is mainly due to health issues I think I have things wrong with me that I don't. E.g. a headache is a brain tumour I tried to explain to my partner that my GP referred me to a pycologist and he w... View more

I have been to my GP about my stress and anxiety which is mainly due to health issues I think I have things wrong with me that I don't. E.g. a headache is a brain tumour I tried to explain to my partner that my GP referred me to a pycologist and he went mad saying it was all in my head, snap out of it, no one he knows is mentally ill. It doesn't help that the subject can't be discussed at home Has anyone overcome this resentment I will go to appointments it will help to speak to someone. It will help me to discuss my issues My partner and I are both in our 60s and grew up overseas when mental health was kept behind closed doors Any advice appreciated

Pureison How do I overcome this?

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my story, please correct me if I'm wrong. I guess the thing I'd like to talk about is how lonely I'm feeling. I don't have a lot of friends to hang out with,... View more

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my story, please correct me if I'm wrong. I guess the thing I'd like to talk about is how lonely I'm feeling. I don't have a lot of friends to hang out with, and the friends I have now all busy with work and studies, (one friend even have kids and another friend I don't want to seem annoying and rely on them all the time) I'm in my late 20s and whenever I see someone get married or is having a baby I feel really sad and lonely. I'm not dating nor have I ever been on a date or had a boyfriend. I am too anxious to go out there and meet someone but I want to be able to have a baby before I'm too old to have one. I'm also scared that since I haven't had much dating experience the first guy I'll date will judge me and will use it as a turn off and be with someone else. I'm also scared because I am worried I'm not right for anyone and that I won't be good enough for them. I'm trying to look for a job that will help me gain more friends but so far no luck in that department either and I've been trying since last year... I've tried tinder and online dating but I get scared whenever they do message about a date... Whenever I see people post on social media, I get sad and lonely as well because everyone looks like they are having a great time with friends and sharing beautiful memories with people they love and I just don't know what to do anymore or how to stop this loneliness feeling because even at family gatherings I feel lonely because I'm the youngest there. I often thought about drinking or getting drunk just to stop this feeling for a while and have a bit of fun but I don't drink too often only with the friends that I have...