FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here

Noeleen
Community Member

I myself have suffered from depression, anxiety, PTSD. Due to a great deal of reason in my life. I am retired and coping with stress an anxiety. Recently a Doctor of mine committed suicide, then I found out my daughter had turned to Alcohol to cope with pain.

l live in the country and my daughters did not wish to worry me, I started picking up on the messages and twigged something was up. My eldest daughter was getting desperate and told me what was going on. I was in disbelief, then I found out how bad the drinking was getting. Last night I was on the phone with her for over an hour trying to help.

I felt so exhausted last night emotionally drained, almost in tears, they lived through years of alcohol abuse from their father I never dreamed anything like this would happen. Especially as they are now grown women.

I've had flash backs to my life, before, the images I never wanted to see again, trying to keep them out of my head has been hard. I usually get up early and go swimming before the day starts, I couldn't this morning.

If I can write away my feelings somewhere I know I will be okay, I thought after 10 yrs of journals I didn't need to keep writing all the time, but it's all coming back.

1 Reply 1

baet123
Community Member

Hi Noeleen,

Welcome to the forums and it is great to have you here!

Sorry to hear that your struggling at present. It is amazing that you are able to express yourself and are aware of your thoughts,feeling and emotions. I can tell that you have been through a great deal. You seem extremely strong, resilient, brave and courageous and these are amazing qualities which you possess. Your daughters must be proud of you and love you a great deal.

You mention you have suffered from numerous conditions throughout your life. Are you suffering from anything at present and are you receiving any medical care and treatment in relation to your emotional well-being?

You seem like an amazing and caring mother and I think it is important to be there for your daughters and provide them with a strong support network which you are doing. When people are engaging in destructive behaviours (drinking) and are consuming depressants, it is important to be there for them and let them know you are there for them which you are!

Please also be careful and take care of your own well-being. Having been through a lot, it is important to make sure that when you are speaking with your daughter and hearing about what she is going through this can have a detrimental impact on your own health. It is obviously having an emotional effect on you so please be careful.

Have you suggested to your daughter that she may need professional assistance? AA classes or even seeing a professional to address the underlying issues behind her drinking? As you mentioned, your daughter is drinking as a coping mechanism. This is destructive behaviour and addressing her concerns and the reasons behind "her drinking" is key.

Please also don't be too hard on yourself! You mentioned you usually go swimming early in the morning. That is amazing. Exercise, discipline and a routine is a great way to ensure and continue your own self-care and you should be proud of yourself! I too get up each morning at 4:45am and hit the gym. Some days it is extremely hard but it does wonders for our physical and emotional well-being. If you can't go or wish to take a break for a while, that is fine!

You can always write to us on these forums! We are always here and love to chat about life and things on your mind.

You have been through a great deal and you are an inspiration! Look forward to hearing from you again shortly and hope you are feeling better.

Nick.