FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

When buttons get pushed

Speak Your Truth
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Can anyone help ? My buttons have been pushed to the point of bringing on severe anxiety. Does anyone think this is curable ? I am desperate to feel relaxed and at peace again and to be able to enjoy my life. I don’t know how to cope
286 Replies 286

Thanks monkey magic, yes I could use a good vent. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !!!!

I have women friends who are good for a 10 second hug (quite a long time straight woman to straight woman) but I want the sort of cuddle that has emotional intimacy and comfort - like might be possible with some mothers (NEVER was possible with mine) or with a special man (if I had one - NEVER was possible with my father either, which is no doubt why I’ve always needed them so much). I do know a man who probably would be a great cuddle, but sadly NO - it would be sooo not right. As for seeking a cuddle ... that is sure to be fraught with problems in this world we live in.

So again ... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !!!!

Hi SYT,

i know what you mean about the cuddles. They do make a difference. Emotional intimacy and comfort, yes that would be nice. When I have anxiety I want to know I am loved and cared for.

take care

cmf x

Dear SYT

I briefly introduced myself in one of Quirky's threads. Now I've found your thread I would like to join the conversation if that's OK with you.

My primary diagnosis is depression but this also brings anxiety with it. Do you read much? There is a great little book called Living with IT by Bev Aisbett. IT is anxiety and this is a survivor's guide. Light reading but includes the hard bits. To read it straight through will take about half an hour. I find talking about anxiety in a humorous way at times can keep IT away. Not that I'm suggesting the topic is humorous but following your lead above.

You asked what the 3F are. Flight, Fight, Freeze. The names are pretty self explanatory. When we have panic attacks we often freeze, don't know what to do (even though we have some resources), and seem to be caught in a web that will not let us go. As a coping mechanism it can be good, stops us running away, flight, because we need to stay and manage the panic. Sometimes though flight is the right thing to do. I find our bodies in general know what to do. We need to listen to what we are being told.

Cuddles are great. My children and grandchildren always give me a hug when we meet. Even my sons-in-law on occasions. But of course these people are not always available when we need them. So what can we do? I believe it is time for us to 'cuddle' ourselves in some way. My first thought is having a pet. Perhaps a cat or dog. They are usually up for a cuddle. And they will stay with you until you feel better which is not always the case with human cuddles. If you cannot have a four-legged pet then what about a bowl of goldfish? Not a cuddly pet but in the past I have found it calming to watch them swim around.

Do something nice for yourself. A long, hot bath with your favourite bath salts etc. Listen to some music that you find enjoyable. I listen to some soft and calming music and I know I feel better when I start to play ABBA.

Prepare a lovely meal for yourself. Pamper yourself by making something delicious to eat, setting the table and have a glass of wine (if you drink wine).

When we are in need of someone but no one is available these are the sort of actions we need. Take responsibility to redirect our mood to something happier and give yourself a pat on the back for taking charge.

If you really need to speak to someone, try the BB helpline 1300 22 4636 available 24/7.

Mary

Hey SYT

Just wondering how you are.

😊

🌻birdy

Thanks for asking Birdy. It’s being such a difficult time. I am so miserable. Everything seems to be piling up on me even more

Dear SYT,

I am so sorry to hear that ... can I give you a biiiiiiiig hug and you can cry if you like and I'd hold you tight and make you a cuppa and just listen.

Would it help to talk about stuff? You can here if you would like.

🌻birdy

Is anyone there who can reply to this ?

I feel so bad today, so anxious and stressed out. When you feel so bad that you feel like you’ll fall apart and break down completely, how bad do you have to REALLY be before you actually do. I’m alone and doing the breathing, listening to calm music but it’s only helping a little bit. I want to cry but I can’t - I’ve got knots in my stomach, feel sick, can’t eat, head going round

Hi again SYT,

Does calling the BB helpline appeal to you, just to talk to someone voice to voice? If not, there is the online chat option which opens in about 15 minutes (3pm ... I assume that's eastern aus time, don't know where you are).

Or do you just want to talk here? I'm around if you feel like chatting, but I don't know how quickly the replies come through).

What's been going on this week SYT for you? Only if you feel like saying ...

🌻birdy

Speak Your Truth
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Is there anyone online who can talk with me now ?

I know. My last post was silly. I needed to say more. I’ve been depressed and anxious for a couple of months now and finding it so hard to get off this roundabout. I do the breathing and distract myself in different ways - music, tv etc. It’s hot outside today and I don’t feel like going outside in the garden or for a walk, and I don’t feel motivated to get in the car and drive anywhere. So I’m here feeling isolated and unhappy and anxious and lost with it all. I’m exhausting myself being anxious and worried and have so little energy. I know people to call but don’t want to load them up with my problems any more than I already do. I’ve lost SO MUCH confidence in myself and finding it hard to find places to go where I can meet people in an atmosphere where I feel supported and not have to put on a mask. If I just stay home and only go out to buy food or do other things I really have to do this will probably never change. Can someone please help me to with ideas how to break this feeling of being on a roundabout I can’t get off