FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is depression a natural reaction to an insane world?

Unbeliever
Community Member

This is a thought I have been pondering for a while.

The default to view depression as "something wrong", or a "brain chemical imbalance" or as "a disease" or something that "needs to be fixed" or requires "medication" or "therapy" appears to be the most common response of practically everyone. 

From doctors, to psychiatrists, to therapists, to the general population, to the depressed individuals themselves... the universal belief appears to be that "the person needs to get help".

But what if... the living in depressed state is correct? What if it isn't an "imbalance" or isn't something "wrong"? What if being depressed is the only natural state to be in for an intelligent, empathetic, compassionate, informed, thinking individual to exist in the current state of our world?

What if to NOT be depressed about is the true indication of mental sickness?

I'm not saying that being depressed is fun in any way... most people on this forum would be well aware that it sucks. But that is not what I'm saying. 

What I mean is... could existing in a state of depression be completely natural for someone living in a place where so many things are obviously terrible... both on a personal level and in the world as a whole?

My reasons for this perspective are numerous. Far too many to write in only 2500 words. But basically...

The real world is an extremely depressing place for any person that cares at all about anything outside of themselves.

Eg. If you care about animals... the reality is many beautiful species are already lost forever, many others are so close to the verge of extinction that even if everyone worldwide decided to do everything they could to save them... they would still be lost. At home there are people that still buy people animals as christmas gifts, refuse to desex their pets, the massive amount of pets put down in pounds annually. There is backyard animal cruelty, the dog racing industry using live bait, shooting race horses with legs, women's hormonal treatments for menapause, the meat industry, birds choking on our plastic half a world away, overfishing. The list goes on and on.

It is reality and it is depressing. Care about animals and feeling "depressed" about it IS correct. And that is one tiny subject in a plethora of subjects.

3 billion people in starving poverty, the water wars, religious fanatics, corrupt governments, womens rights violations, slavery, wars, child rape, etc etc

It's the people that are not depressed that worry me.

253 Replies 253

Great Post Ewart!

I haven't come across this thread before which is probably a shame. I enjoy philosophical chats, however the creator; Unbeliever, hasn't really kept things running. So it's no wonder I've missed it.

I don't actually agree or disagree with what's been said. I know that sounds like a fence sitter comment, but the fact is, focus in the moment can change dramatically over the span of a day in my case.

My depression slips in and out from physical reality to doom and gloom to goal oriented to fantasmical ideas/what if's and back again. Am I normal? I bloody hope not! The thing is though, I just might be considering our world.

I'm thinking Unbeliever may have hit on something; evolution. People, society, culture etc evolve out of survival, desire, power, procreation and the plethora of reasons we continue to exist as a species.

We've evolved quicker in the past 100 yrs than at any stage of evolution. The culprit? My opinion is the humble 'wheel' and the mindset of 'progress'.

My friend tells me he hates the term 'moving forward'. I didn't quite understand in the beginning but I'm right there with him now.

My ideal peaceful place is basically static. My age at 57 sees me more inclined to slow down and reap the rewards of my efforts, but in fact it's more a case of paying the piper.

As society/technology evolves to keep up with the Jones's, our brain capacity has nowhere to go except retreat or evolve as well. Ergo...chemical imbalance.

I became IT savvy in the 90's to be more competitive in the job market. Now it seems life without technology is considered a poor existence.

The amount of micro-waves, radio-waves, alpha, beta or whatever waves are interfering with our own brain waves, is creating intrusive electromagnetic fields on every inch of the planet; we can't escape.

Along with this is our increasing intellect. Obviously gene's have much to do with things too, so blame or what to do isn't a one size fits all hypotheses. But the indicators are there taking into account these variables. Yes, I'm a stat's freak.

Is depression an acceptable response to life? Well, yes.

Sara 🙂

ewart
Community Member
Yahoo, well said JS, perhaps we've nailed it and should now be famous. Perhaps depression is an acceptable response to life and we are the anointed ones. I am becoming more and more comfortable with my illness as I continue to challenge "it" by not giving in to "it". And perhaps "Unbeliever" is right, and everyone is out of step but us 🙂 There may be a degree of flippancy here but I DO NOT under estimate the mental illness that is depression and anxiety.

Booyar!!! Well said Ewart!

You made me laugh out loud. I love your facetious cheeky 'way', it matches your smile. lol

I wouldn't mind us being called the 'Anointed Ones'; actually, it increasingly pleases me each time I read it! Ha ha Sorry, that's the depression talking. Ah ha ha ha 🙂

What a versatile word! Depression/anxiety could be used to excuse many of my not so great idiosyncrasies. But alas, it isn't who I am, it's what I have.

Although I've accepted I'll never be the same person I once was, it doesn't mean I can't be even better. I know this sounds contradictory, (and maybe a little conceited) however my MH has spurred me into living a quality life as I notice trivial or unimportant things less and have let go of pointless goals and desires.

MI brings me back to earth and forces me to look at the 'simple' life as my baseline. A cottage in a lush green valley; babbling brook that never runs dry due to mining; plenty of land for crops/animals and like minded people to share my life. Sigh...

And; I would never call you flippant! A fellow traveller with intellect and humour's a big plus on here. Welcome and thankyou...

Imagine if MI was an evolutionary glitch, (too much, too fast) and the cure was to go backwards. Hmm...food for thought.

Sara the Just 🙂

Carla09
Community Member

Hi unbeliever,

I agree that the state of the world is definetely contributing to our depression. I think that things are definetely much easier now than in the past, however I think in the past people had more a sense of community and I do think the rise of individualism has atomised us all..and there are probably benefits but also has left people feeling disconnected from their community, their past, their family. People tend to move away from family to pursue careers but it means that we can no longer depend on extended family to assist us with the care of young children or count on family to care for us when we are elderly.

Hey Carla, Ewart, Sara and everybody

The country with the lowest rate of dementia on earth is India...Just food for thought...(Maybe diet?)

The world is going too fast too soon (as per Carla09 and Sara)

Just my view on the thread topic....accurate yet woefully 'blame depression on someone else' thinking

Depression has been around a very long time and is a badly named illness to start with as it doesn't reflect the true pain and mental anguish of this awful condition.

Just my humble opinion on Depression..

• The fast pace of our lifestyle and advances in technology
  • High expectations of what is expected beyond our own capabilities
  • Dysfunctional/Toxic childhood years are a catalyst
  • Genetics... as depression is partially chemically based thus a physical illness to begin with..

My Kindest thoughts

Paul

Hi Paul;

I don't think anyone's blaming the world for our disorders or don't recognise our pain; I think people are frightened.

We're scared to say yes, and we're scared to say no. There are so many influences today that didn't exist when you and I were young.

Manual jobs hadn't been taken over by robot arms in factories, and community meant people in our town instead of around the globe. There've been so many mistakes made, seemingly unaware of the consequences to our lifestyle and connection to earth and each other.

Corporate company's have taken over the world. "1984" Big brother is in charge instead of Mother earth. Nature is on its knee's and we're still asking why 'depression'???

We're killing ourselves, each other, nature and our planet. Human's are accountable and will pay the price; this generation or the next. Do you think anyone of this current generation knows how to make a home made compass or even read one? Do they know how to survive if they're lost in the bush? Oh that's right...Google maps! That's if their phone's charged...

Our skills are in line with corporate policy, not instinct. Survival of the fittest has gone from physical and procreative prowess to religion, money and now 'things'. Oh how proud our great grandparents must be!

I do think about this stuff a lot; I do. But all it does is make me sad and scared. I'm alone; I live alone and I'll die alone. That's scary shit. Tell that to the corporate policy makers.

Sara

Hi Sara

You have a gift where wisdom and clarity is concerned. I always have a good sticky beak at all of your posts and learn a great deal from them. I understand that like many posters we seem to be in the same boat where isolation is concerned. Absolutely spot on Sara

I posted from the viewpoint as per the thread title. People in the 1800's didnt have a 'label' for depression but the symptoms would have been identical yet frowned upon 1000 times more than now

My kindest thoughts

Paul

Hey Paul;

I think the term was melancholia or dysphoria. Women moreso, as men weren't supposed to get depressed; they drank each other under the table and cried as they staggered home. This was allowed without reprisal for some reason, so at least they got to cry. Pretty bloody sad actually...

Sara

Guest_128
Community Member

Ok all,

When you are born you have nothing except maybe some f genes.

Then because you know nothing you are raised and brainwashed into whatever situation you are in. Those around you are doing what they have been brainwashed with. No ones fault back then.

So on and on and on it went.

Gread,hate, power,strength,better better,more,more,me me me.

Yes there are two different humans, Them and Us.

For the animals,most of US love them more than the others.

What to do?

Most of us would like it to just stop.

So I am Dory!

Just keep swimming.

Later

I__Human
Community Member

Hi Unbeliever (and everyone else),

I found this thread so interesting it encouraged me to join. I feel the same way. To be honest, it surprises me that the suicide rate isn't higher with the state the world is in. It often feels like the ones who seem to be holding it together are the ones with the real problems (or maybe they're just really good at living in denial!) It is often said that the most intelligent and creative people tend to be the ones who end up with depression, mental health issues, alcoholism, etc - coincidence? I think not.

Also in regards to your thoughts on depression vs. apathy, I have often thought this. I was on anti-depressants for a time some years ago and found they stopped me feeling depressed but they also stopped me feeling anything at all - apathy is completely the right word. I simply stopped caring about anything. I think there is a definite connection between depression and strength of feeling, or caring about things. It's like, we get depressed *because* we care so much but the world is unresponsive to our concerns. I'm sure all the people who are apparently free of depression care too, but it seems they have found a way to temporarily shut off the intensity of their feelings as a coping mechanism so they can get through the day.

I have a favourite quote I'd like to share with you: "The world is a comedy to those who think; a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole. I've always taken that to mean, if you place the focus on feeling, of course you're going to feel torn apart by all the terrible things that happen in the world. But if you can manage to put those feelings aside and step back enough to see the world purely intellectually, you can appreciate the comedic absurdity of the situation we collectively inhabit on this spinning ball on an outer arm of the Milky Way, here but for a brief moment but all carrying on as though we will live forever and many of us wasting our precious moments on things that ultimately don't matter.