FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don't talk about my anxiety with my offline friends

Photography_lover
Community Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Jess and I'm 23 years old. I love doing photography as its a passion of mine, love animals, love walking/doing exercise, cooking and being with family and friends.

I have been with this pesky mental illness, anxiety, since late 2014. I recently came onto the internet looking for forums and found this website. I got sucked into reading the anxiety forum a few days ago and I thought it was about time I made an appearance as we're not alone in this world.

I'd love to chat to those who are experiencing some sort of anxiety and hope to make new friends as I don't talk about my anxiety with my real friends.

Hope to chat soon, Jess 🙂

109 Replies 109

Hey there startingnew,

Thank you for the warm welcome 🙂

I come on here and feel as though everyone relates to one another, which is great in a way. What do you think causes your anxiety, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh awesome 🙂 I've loved photography since I was about 17-18. It's definitely my happy place. As I've mentioned to Mary, I photograph nature, flowers etc with my macro lens. I love doing pet portraits and lately have been getting into landscapes again. I moved from my hometown nearly 10 months ago and used to take A LOT of landscapes since it was surrounded by farm land but since moving into a much bigger town, I have found it difficult to photograph landscapes. But am slowly getting back into it which is great 🙂

What things do you tend to photograph?

Hi Sola,

Anxiety is so unpredictable at times. It's been with me for a few years and it's only now that I want to learn how to deal with it. About 2 and a half weeks ago, I fainted outside of the shower.. felt dizzy and went against sitting down, and then woke up with my face on the bathroom floor. I gained a huge lump and bruises on my chin and also a huge bruise on my left forearm. The only thing that woke me up was the shower running on the back of my legs. Such a strange thing when you do these things and you didn't feel a thing. This episode is when I realized that I needed to do something.

I have been on medication since I was diagnosed. I feel as though my meds don't fully help with my anxiety but I really don't want to be drugged up that I don't feel anything, wouldn't feel normal to me.

Magnesium comes in tablet form correct? I'd be willing to give that shot if it really works.

Lets figure out how to cope with anxiety together Sola 🙂

Hi Johnno,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Only been on here for a few days and am already finding it helpful. Talking to people who can relate, helps a lot.

Oh excellent, another animal and photography lover! Beagles are so gorgeous, but hey any dog is gorgeous hey? Great names by the way. I bet they give you heaps of joy 24/7. As I mentioned above, I already do pet portraits and have done a few paid shoots already 🙂 My clients have been very happy so far.

I have also taken that action up of seeing a GP (tomorrow) and hopefully going to get a referral to see someone. I am a little impatient and want to get the ball rolling, time is crucial these days.

Thanks again, Johnno

HI again nice to hear back from you 🙂

my anxiety is casued by alot of things- ive had a very traumatic childhood and alot of things around me going on and it has stayed with me till now. so i guess it varied between people but i find a common one is the uncertainty, overwhelmed, and fears whether they be rational or irrational- theres often a reason for these irrational fears might not be visible to others but they are to us and the way we think- both of these seem to be a common trait among those with anxiety. and you can ask any questions you like and myself as well as others will answer as best we can 🙂

i love photographing nature and animals too! i like going to rainforests sometimes as they offer some unique picture scenes and i also own horses myself and they are pretty picturesk 🙂

Hi Jess

Thanks for your reply. Gee you must be a good photographer if you are selling your prints. Good on you!!! I hope that you are successful in finding some good professional help for yourself. Something else you can do which helps me is practicing mindfulness. Totally focusing on the present. I do it playing my guitar, working out at the gym or even doing the dishes. Try not to think of the past or worry about the future. I know it's easier said than done but give it a go.

Best wishes

Johnno

Hi Jess

Just a tip. There is a government funded scheme called a BOMH which entitles you to free visits to a psychologist. You can apply for it through a GP.

Johnno

Hello again 🙂

I am sorry to hear about your traumatic childhood, I can only imagine what you went through.. I can relate with the uncertainty and being overwhelmed etc. I'm always worrying about the things that haven't haven't happened yet.. So at the moment, I'm trying to take it one day at a time. We anxiety people suffer a lot more than regular people. And as you say, normal people may not see these visible traits so it's hard for them to understand.

What do you do to keep yourself busy? I like to do things with my hands, being tactile keeps my brain busy and keeps those negative thoughts away 🙂

Wow, these interests just keep building up! Awesome 🙂 I absolutely love being out in nature as well, it's my happy place and escape to reality. Rainforests are some of the best places to go.. the peace and the smell.. well the smell is amazing in my opinion. If you get what I mean 😉

Wow, you own horses? Not on a farm are you? How many do you own? I've never owned one and am a little scared but I know that they can be some of the most gentlest animals. Good for therapy etc.

Hi Johnno,

No worries. Thank you for replying and the nice words 🙂 Haha, I have been told that I am a good photographer and believe I am (trying not to be cocky). I haven't exactly sold much of my work but am slowly building up a clientele. I created calendars last year and sold about 4. You get such pride when you know someone has your work inside your home!

Like I said above to Mary, I have eliminated my trigger for a while and am trying to focus on myself. Taking it one day at a time.
I envy those who can play an instrument! I love the sound of the piano, makes you sleepy.. I have also started back at the gym after a months break, makes you feel good and keeps the anxiety low 🙂

Ive been through
mnay things but im working on those at the moment and while its not
easy at least im trying to get better hey.

Its good being here
because even though they dont 'know' me they do know me and often
more then those who do actaully know me.

Hmm what keeps me
busy- well I have 5 horses that need care, im a full time carer for
my pop, I look after my 2 younger sisters a lot, plus I do part time
care ownership for horses at an aggistment centre- so I get paid to
take care of others horses when they cant do it or when they go on
holidays.

Oh yes the smell of
rainforests are very good esp when im near the waterfalls. Theres one
near me that has a great waterfall but many leeches yukky -they creep
me out

but I do like to go
there everynow and then.

I love looking at
nature pics too, I sometimes imagine myself there being in the peace
and quiet and enjoyingt he sounds and sights and smells it has to
offer- do you do that too?

Yeah ive owned
horses before I could even walk. I was riding them too before I could
walk, ive got quite a few pictures of me on a horse a baby. No Im not
on a farm, im not lucky enough for that though I wish!
I personally own 1
horse but in the family we have 5 and I take care of all them quite abit by myself.

That's exactly right, you can only do what you can do to get better. It's worth the shot 🙂

While I have eliminated my trigger and being here, I have found it very comforting to express myself. It's a safe place to be in my opinion.

You certainly have a lot on your plate, which is good in a way. Makes getting out of bed, worth it. Sounds like you have taking care of horses in your blood-everyone has a something like that. You also love to help people in need which is an awesome trait to have, I also love helping people.

So jealous you have a waterfall near you! But the leeches, well.. wish they could go away. They seem to spoil this wonderful location it seems.

After I get over the awe of nature photos (thinking how on earth they captured the image) I do wish I was there, not so much imagine but just wishing I was there.

People who have animals like horses, I take my hat off to you as they are very high maintenance and time consuming. But it's all worth the hard work.