FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone had to spend days alone without anyone to talk to?

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi all, apart from here and a brief visit to church last night (to make it feel Christmassy and to just be with people) I've had day after day for weeks now with nobody at all to talk to. This time of year especially it's really depressing. Old friends that live far away are gradually losing contact with me - I ring them but they don't ring me. I understand they're busy with their live elsewhere but still it's hard when you're lonely. I'm going to a Christmas Eve service at the local church tomorrow night to at least be with people for a little while... but otherwise all day I'm alone, just me and the dog. Sometimes I strike up a conversation on BB but then the other person disappears and that's the end of that...

How are people meant to cope with prolonged periods of social isolation? I read, I watch DVDs, normally I'd go for long walks with the dog but thick smoke from bushfires and intense hot weather have stopped that. I go to a café alone sometimes. Any ideas/help?

3,069 Replies 3,069

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Hanna, it's sounds like a European Winter where you are! 
It's very cold here too tonight, was a nice sunny but crisp day though. 
We've turned the heater on for the first time in months tonight. Hope it makes things toasty! 

I read all your posts since you came on yesterday. Wow you've certainly seen a lot in your work. 

That's a great story about the New Principal listening to the students and then responding so well! 
I'm sure they felt a million bucks after that. 
I absolutely went thru hell with no school uniform after our house burnt down. My gparents bought some awful shoes from the Op shop for me and they had nails sticking into my feet through the soles. I persisted in wearing them but was picked on. 
Eventually my feet developed such horrible plantar warts. My gfather took me to the podiatrist for months in efforts to scrape them off. 

I've found feelings of poverty have never left me. It's just me now. If there's any money leftover after bills, I buy long lasting food for the cupboards and freezers. The kids all say "Mum's in 'holocaust mode' again", sometimes I don't even notice it until they say that. Might pay some bills ahead, even if it's $20 I'll do something with it to prep ahead. 

Hope you can stay warm! Having the puppers and fluffy kitties sure makes for some warm cuddles lol. 

Love EM

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi EM and everyone

I'm sorry you had that experience at school - kids can be horrible to anyone the least bit different.

We have a bleak, rainy cold day here today - and the ground everywhere is so muddy it's unpleasant to walk anywhere... it's been such a wet winter and now spring... I'm off to watch some Bridge videos!  I hope you and everyone are keeping warm and dry!

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Lovely Hanna, ecomama,Paws and everyone…..🤗.

Your so right with the weather today Hanna, it’s freezing cold and when I walk on my so called lawn….I sink and my slippers get all wet….

Are you learning to play bridge?….it looks such a complicated game…I do hope you can learn and joining the bridge game in your area….I really do commend you and am in awe of how your not to afraid to learn different things…..Way to go…🤗

I am all rugged up on my lounge today…too cold to be outside….

Stay warm and cosy dear Hanna and everyone…

Hugs, love and care everyone…🤗💕🦋.

Grandy..

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Grandy,

It's sunny here this afternoon but the wind is like ice!!!  I wish I could sit in the sun but it's freezing - I have the heating on in the lounge room, what can you do, it's too cold to have no heating... I dread the bill.  Yes I went to my first Bridge lesson the other evening, I have to say the people were the friendliest I've come across, we had a lesson for an hour and then had a cuppa and bikkies and a chat... Bridge is going to be so hard to remember all the different rules etc!!!  My goodness.  The others at my table had already played a bit, so I felt a bit anxious I was the only complete newby... they were very patient - there were two other new ladies, the others all men, very nice - at the end the other ladies told me they were very confused, which made me feel better as I was very confused!  Now I'm trying to watch Utube videos on how to play Bridge for beginners... yikes it's going to take time to learn this - but it was a nice social group, so if I could play it would be a nice way to mix with people..  I think it's going to take me a while!  

I'm thoroughly bored today as I couldn't even get a proper walk as the ground is so muddy everywhere I was slipping and sliding... and it was raining in the morning - I ducked into the library and that was it.  I wished the Bridge classes were in the afternoon and not evening, it was hard to go out at 7pm in the cold and dark.  

Just in case - I was chatting with a pleasant lady as our dogs played the other day - she watches animal rescue videos on utube - I told her many of those are set up and are animal abuse and please, please don't watch them -there are only a very few that are genuine - I managed to get one channel taken down as I kept reporting it... the ones overseas from places like India etc are especially bad - do please tell people not to click on these videos or watch them, as it encourages them to keep making them.  They do it for the money people donate.

I hope you are keeping warm with your furs there... I bought a book at the op shop so I might start that tonight - it's too cold to take Sam out to the dog park!

Hugs from us here to you there! oxoxoxoxo

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Hanna, Grandy, Kitty and EVERYONE reading, 

Wow Hanna you're really showing your bravery learning how to play Bridge! GO YOU again lol. 
My Nana tried on and off for years to teach me and in the end I had to say, I'll make the tea and snacks while you play but count me out! lol. Just couldn't learn. 

I'm an expert Uno player though so watch out lol. 
Love Backgammon. Can play Checkers but not Chess. My kids all love playing Chess, even my Grandkids can kick it so well! No moi, it's too much to learn. I just get too confused. 

So nice there are nice people to talk with while you walk your pup Hanna. I'm happy you're out and about meeting people. 

Tonight it's COLD. There's an icy wind and such thick cloud cover too. I watched lightning strike here and there as I drove down the mountain from work tonight. It was SPECTACULAR. So bright against the charcoal grey clouds with the sun shining right at them. I thought wow, I drove down the mountain at JUST the right time to witness this natural phenomenon. Lucky me. 

Only 10 spots of rain on my car window. It tried to rain a little while ago.. still threatening rain but nothing yet. 

Hey Grandy, do you need gum boots at the door to save your slippers? lol. 

Talk soon
Love EM

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi again Grandy,

I did find it hard to make myself go to the Bridge - after that group of women being so nasty I didn't want to have to deal with that sort of thing again... I nearly drove home again, don't worry!  But once I got there I could see other people going in on their own... I think the mix of men with the women helps as it breaks up the women's cliqueness - and the others had to go on their own too, and I'm sure like me they found it hard to do...

Have you started on your terrarium yet ((I always have to be sure I've got that word right!!!).  I've been checking out dog rescue sites on the internet - an elderly friend and her son are looking for a small rescue dog - they're in the city - her husband died recently and she is in her 90s, her son lives with her, he is mid 60s - they would like a little dog to cuddle and for company - I grew up near them in the city - it's very difficult to get a small rescue dog, they are mostly big doggies. 

I was going to go for a walk but I wussed out, it's too cold, so I'm staying inside and nice and warm and watching TV instead!!!!!!  

Hugs!

(Sam has had dinner, has two jumpers on, one over the other, and is fast asleep in his bed - he doesn't like the weather being THIS cold!)

Hanna3
Community Member

Oh and Grandy - I tell you who I sometimes like to watch on Utube (it's Utube weather tonight!) - I like a channel called The Vancouver Vet - he is in Canada and talks quite a lot about his lovely cats - I only found out last night watching his video about his cat Mr Pirate that he trained in Wyong on the central coast here in NSW!  He seems very nice and I like his face and the way his cats seem to love him.  Mostly he gives vet advice about cats...  I love the way Mr Pirate drapes around his neck and shoulders! oxoxox

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi EM,

What state are you in?  We sure have a strong cold rainy front coming through here... although I am better in cold weather, this is a bit much...!!!

I used to play a bit of chess long ago - I've never played cards at all - I bought a pack at Woolworths so I can practice the way they fan them out in their hand - all the others could do it but not me... I think Bridge is going to be very hard to remember - but I liked the social crowd there and I thought it's a handy skill as wherever you go, you can join a Bridge group - they said they had people come out from the city for the weekend and play and they get to all be friends.  So it seems like a nice, portable skill to have - but i'm going to find it hard!!!

I'm off to have a mug of hot soup and a bagel... and to veg out in front of the telly.  Keep warm wherever you are! 

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Hanna,

Sorry I haven't been here.. I've been laid up with a migraine... I still have a headache but at least the otc meds have taken the edge off it.

Well done going to the bridge session... especially at that time of night... I think you will pick it up pretty quickly... you are accustomed to doing complex things... playing the harp isn't simple, nor is chess... plus I get the impression you enjoy challenges.

It seems we had some good soaking steady rain over the last few days... at least every time I got up for Woofa it was raining... today had a brief period of sun, though the wind coming in through the open back door was freezing... but it sounds like you have had too much rain if you are slipping & sliding when you try to have a walk. 

I'm surprised your friend is having trouble finding a small rescue dog... so many rescue groups are being over run with dogs... mostly it seems with dogs bought during covid that now the person has returned to work they think the dog is too much trouble... something that makes my blood boil.

Stay warm

Hugs

Paws

Hi Paws,

I've never had a migraine but they sound nasty - hope you're feeling better now!

It's going to get to minus 3 here tomorrow night and i have to go to Bridge!!! I wish they would have it in the afternoon!  It was such a friendly crowd with about a dozen new people... but gosh it's a difficult game.  I chatted with my old friend in coastal town yesterday, a friend of hers plays and holds Bridge parties all over the north coast - she said it took her friend a year to get comfortable with the game, which makes me feel a bit better - it was confusing the other night, but we were all confused.  I can see it's a valuable social skill to have, as wherever you go you can join the local Bridge club and join in.  We had a nice break with a cuppa and snacks which was pleasant.  If I can get to be just a reasonably competent player, enough to play a social game, I'll be happy.

Yes my friend can't get a rescue doggy - they are so fussy - she had one before, and her son lives with her and will walk it - there are heaps of big dogs and dogs with health problems, but a middle aged rescue small dog is terribly hard to find, and she keeps getting knocked back - and they are good dog owners.  The rescue places now keep saying you should have two dogs not just one... so she misses out because their previous little dog died.  I can't see how that necessarily works - I ran into a couple here recently with two dogs on leashes and one was snappingat the other - they said the original dog had never got used to the second dog and kept snapping at it even a couple of years later.

I'd like to learn Mah Jong, but they only play it at 9.15 am!!!!  i don't want to have breakfast and then sit down and play a board game for 3 hours...

Yes I like learning things, but i'm not mathematically inclined.. so we'll see... hugs.