FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Loss of mother

Chook81
Community Member
I have only just lost my mum and I'm feeling so empty, broken and sad sometimes I think about self-harm (I will not do this as I have two kids to live for). How do I try and get back to a normal life. I miss her so much.
4 Replies 4

music_man
Community Member

Hi Chook,

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Mum 2 years ago and my Dad a few months ago. I also lost one of my closest friends 1 week before my Mum died. My Mum's passing completely broke me so I can understand you feeling empty, broken and sad. I was still completely broken when my Dad died.

I don't have the answer as to getting back to a normal life or how long that will take, we are all different. It's something I'm still in the process of attempting to do. Some days are better than others. They say that time heals all wounds but I don't think that's true. I think we just slowly become more accepting of the loss, I don't know that we ever truly heal.

Take care

Jez

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Chook, please accept my most sincere condolences for the loss of your lovely mum and I'm so sorry that there are times when words of sympathy are difficult to acknowledge, we appreciate and accept that this may happen.

Here is a link to put into your search browser that may help you

-https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au › blog › missing-your-mum-on

There will be so much that will remind you and please don't be afraid to show your emotion and as well as contacting the link above you could visit your doctor.

My deepest apologies.

Take care.

Geoff.

Misstracy
Community Member

I lost my mum on the forth of may this year. I miss her so much, what I find even harder is watching my loved ones suffer. I don't wanna cry, or talk about it ,and after I spend a day around my family, its like she dies all over again. Time makes it harder my emotions are shot and I feel guilty( when I try not to think of her) . I guess you just got to ride the emotional rollercoaster. I hope to one day be allowed to get off. distraction is my best coping skill at the moment xo i feel Empathy for us all

Stui
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Misstracy,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. This is a hard time for you and very recent. My mother passed away two years ago and I bawled my eyes out at the time. I still think of her every day but the sorrow does ease in time. You have a lot of empathy to feel for others at this time and it is commendable. There is nothing wrong about trying not to remember her at the moment it is very hard to deal with all the emotion at once so allow yourself space to process things at your pace. It is a rough emotional roller-coaster but you will get through it.