FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Losing my mum

Janelle98
Community Member

My mum was diagnosed with stomach cancer less than a month ago. One month and my whole world has been turned upside down. The cancer has spread and there is not much doctors can do about it. Today she signed a DNR. She’s in hospital my beautiful mum I cannot lose my beautiful mum. It is just me, I don’t know how to plan a funeral I don’t even have the money for a funeral. I feel so alone. 

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Janelle98,

Thank you for posting to the Beyond Blue forums. We are so sorry to hear about your Mum, we know that this is an incredibly difficult time for you and please know our community and our councellors are here for you 24/7.

We hope that you have someone that you can talk to and some support during this tough time. It’s normal to feel fear, and despair during this time, grief has no set pattern, and everyone experiences grief in different ways. It’s also important that you take care of yourself and reach out to others for support. You can call our counsellors at any time, on 1300 22 4636. They can help you talk this through and will also be able to help you plan what's next so that you have that support in place. We'd also recommend talking to Griefline, on 1300 845 745 (6am to midnight AEST every day): https://griefline.org.au/  

We want to thank you again for posting here, you never know who may be going through a similar time and feel less alone as result of your post.

Kind regards,   

Sophie M 

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Janelle98,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums,

I am so deeply sorry sweetheart that your beautiful mum has cancer and isn’t doing very well…my heart goes out to you so much….No words I can say here will ever ease the tremendous soul and heartache your going through right now….

Do you have any close friends or relatives that can be there for you?…Sophie_M has given you some great support contacts…please use them if you become overwhelmed with everything you’re going through….

Most hospitals have social workers who are their for you if you need to talk and they can help you through this….please don’t be afraid to reach out to them as well as the contacts our lovely Sophie has given you…

So sorry, I’m not much help to you, please know that we all care about you and will be here for you, if you ever feel the need to talk..

Sending my love, care and a gentle caring hug to you sweet Janelle..

Grandy

Wreckitralph
Community Member

My brother was diagnosed with cancer. he was only 35. Brain cancer unfortunately, and terminal. He held out a year and a half and left his 2 kids behind and his wife. I am still so sad every day from it. But i can feel myself slowly getting used to it. 

I can't even pretend to entirely know what you're going through. but i am sorry it's happening. I highly recommend talking to some one. I suffer from depression and as soon as he was diagnosed i begun talking to some one to help me up to and after. Wish you the best.