FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Losing a child

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Please bare with me on this difficult of all topics.

If someone has never parachuted, how can they describe the event to someone that has never jumped? A soldier in war describing it...painting the picture?

We all have various experiences that define us as unique. So when it comes to losing a child parents often describe it as "indescribable". How can they paint that picture?

Most of us have experienced grief, the loss of a loved one but to lose a child is, it seems, on a higher plain.

As I've worked with victims of crime one challenge has been to find ways of obtaining relief from such grief. We as humans cant possibly compare grieving circumstances of such loss except that anger would rate as an added emotion with some. Anger at a perpetrator or someone seemingly or directly responsible can envelop a parent creating unimaginable intetnal anguish.

Getting a life back following such loss is often most difficult. The first rule of thumb is to have no rules. No expectations. Gentle ears, calm, waiting for that one signal that is positive towards moving forward with day to day activity.

There are ways to lose a child other than death. I've lost a neice to a cult. At 14yo she ran away from blood family. She's now 33yo, has children of her own and is estranged from most blood family still. Imagine the hurt the parents and 5 siblings feel? Their child still lives but near zero chance of reconciling. ..is also a unique form of grief. How empty?

Ive found there is not any "best practice" to move forward and pick up pieces of ones life to become productive following the loss of a child. One way to help is devoting ones life towards helping others in the name and honour of their child. A cause.

Memorials are common. Honouring your child's life by deeds, in a way allowing your childs life to result in a positive project of some sort of your choice doesn't have to be public if you prefer it to remain private. Grief can be very private or maybe public especially if fundraising.

My good neighbours son passed away in a car accident. Days later his daughter in law had items owned by his son to collect. Amongst them were 50 potted rose plants his son prepared. His son adored roses. He took them home, planted them in a special garden, takes cuttings and pots them for others in town. He never takes one cent.

This small hamlet in spring is adorned with his sons roses. Wow!

Most of us cant relate to losing a child. We can find a way of their memory to live on.

Tony WK

11 Replies 11

HelloGail
Community Member

Hi White Knight 

Thank you for those words, it really does help. While I am researching my mother's family history, I have been helping others with theirs and it has kept my mind from wondering. Though my daughter is estranged from me, I shall still keep her belongings here should she one day reconcile. I have kept diaries from the day she was born to now. Maybe one day after I've passed she may read them and remember the good times and not the bad.

When my dog passed I planted a shrub and it is a lovely way of helping with grief and I know by what you said about the roses. It sounds lovely. Thank you. 

Hi hello Gail

I'm sorry it's been 2 weeks since you posted.

Keeping a diary, what a thoughtful mum you are. See nobody can take that away from you, estranged or not you embrace your motherhood and hold it dear.

Did your daughter stop visiting? Only talk if you are comfortable. For many of us the topic is tender. My youngest now 29yo is like her mum, toxic, narcissistic... very sad for me to even think about her.

TonyWK