FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Greiving for my child

Aquarius2014
Community Member

So at 14 years of age, and 14 years of doing it solo, my daughter no longer speaks to me.  Is there any other condition with such an awful stigma?

At the start of the year I had a 'nervous breakdown' or whatever you want to call it .... I was happy with status quo, however those around me decided I needed help, ie. locking up.

During my 2 week  voluntery "respite" my girl went to stay with her Dad, now 6 months later and I can no longer see her or even speak with her.  I just don't have much hope left to go on.

beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

1 Reply 1

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Aquarius, sorry it's been a couple of days for you to receive a reply.

I can relate to your problem in a couple of ways, but your despair, probably a bit of annoyance and wondering why is a great concern for you.

I am wondering whether your husband has everything to do with this, maybe he wants her to stay with him full-time, so has convinced her not to see you, telling her what he thinks is appropriate.

In regard to me, during the time that my wife left me and then divorced me, our youngest son wouldn't talk to either of us and was quite angry, so the relationship was non existent, which neither my ex or myself wanted, so I tried to ring him more times than I can think, he would eventually answer the phone but wasn't very friendly at all, so I decided that this communication wasn't going to work, so I surprised him by going to his house, which was 2 hours away, and as he was living with a group of guys it wasn't too bad.

Now as I have just moved he travelled 8 or 9 hours to come and see me, and the relationship has been good for over 10 years.

The other occasion is that it's my twin and my birthday coming up, but my eldest son and his mum aren't talking, and haven't been for awhile, so the party that was going to be planned, I have decided to cancel, because one won't go if the other goes.

She is upset because she doesn't get to see her 2 young grand-daugthers, and keeps asking me how they are going, but I tell her to ring and find out, but she won't.

Maybe you could send her a registered present, or perhaps ring your estranged husband and try and organise a meeting with the three of you.

I have to confess it's never easy to regain this relationship, especially if your husband keeps giving her information which may not be true. L Geoff. x