FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Wife's possible depression ?!

LastChance
Community Member

Hi guys,

I have the suspicion that my wife has depressions. BUT, she is denying it, down playing it, etc. and not open at all to the idea to look for any kind of professional help.

She is a bit of a perfectionist and feels easily pressured. But our marriage is deteriorating and I am afraid that if I mention that, it will create even more pressure for her.

I already programmed the hotline's phone number into my mobile. Just in case... 

Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

6 Replies 6

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering if your wife's depression is considered as her problem, your problem, or the suggestion it is the cause of your deteriorating marriage?
Perhaps if we work backwards...
Marriage is insecure, it must be someone's fault, wife is depressed, ipso facto...
You are wise not to draw attention to her lowered emotional fortitude, but it appears you have already raised this (since she has denied and down played it) which may not be conducive to you being turned to for support - possibly could even be polarising.
I think you could be more accommodating to how she feels and provide space in a more supportive framework of tolerance and assistance as required.
Applying the necessary empathy might ultimately resolve the nub of your concerns over the marriage.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing in your marriage. It's clear that you care deeply for your wife's well-being.

And it can be hard to when you suspect your loved one might be dealing with depression and they're not open to seeking help. There are many reasons your wife would not want to entertain the thought as well. Perhaps you could let her know that you've noticed she's been going through a tough time and that you're there to support her in any way she needs.

You're already taking a proactive step by having the hotline number ready, and that shows your commitment to her well-being. Keep communicating your love and support. Patience and understanding are key during this process. Listening ...

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi LastChance

Your wife's blessed to have you on her side when it comes to care and attention. A lot of partner's out there will sit back and hope for the best when it comes to their spouse 'snapping out of it, so that things can go back to normal'.

I think there are a number of reasons for why someone may not acknowledge depression as being a factor in their life. Perhaps

1. They may not recognise the signs of depression, in themself
  2. For them, there is some stigma associated with the word 'depression'. Maybe they've been led to believe depression is a weakness and it indicates they're 'weak' or 'failing' in some way
  3. If you can imagine a depression as being like a deep well in the ground (an actual depression), a person may not recognise themself having gone into it but as it gets deeper and darker, it's only then that they can begin to really feel it. Others can spot them having gone in. I've actually had a couple of people in my life, on occasions, express their fear I was in or going into a depression. On such occasions they were right and I just never saw it. If it wasn't for them, I would have continued going deeper

Just a few reasons amongst many. With that last one, it's basically through my own experience that I've come to define it in that way, as a kind of well below ground. I think we can be flying high, really happy and excited about so much in life. We can be grounded, not flying high yet not depressed. Then there can be a lack of joy, happiness, excitement etc etc, while feeling no satisfying sense of grounding (which can point to a depression). So, basically sky (feeling high), ground (feeling grounded), below ground (feeling a depression). Each has a feel to them. Of course, flying high with an occasional sense of grounding is ideal but things, unfortunately, don't always work that way. Btw, with that proverbial 'light at the end of the tunnel', with the well scenario it becomes the light at the top of the tunnel.

I think being 'too grounded' can be a problem sometimes too. If someone's always been a bit of a high spirited excitement seeker or adventurer, for example, settling down (to ground level) can feel somewhat satisfying and safe yet that kind of life can lack the kind of highs they used to thrive on. There can be a fine line or brink between being constantly grounded and going into a depression.

Perhaps the ultimate question, when someone is too grounded or depressed, 'How do I raise them?'. It sounds like you are trying to raise your wife, to be more conscious of where she now finds herself. Hard to pick the reasons for a depression sometimes. Does a person need more highs and inspiration? Do they lack the kind of vision they need, in order to see a happier way forward? Could it be a low energy issue?

David35
Community Member

Perfectionists always feel pressure, because their standards are unnecessarily high. I know because I'm one and it can get in the way of enjoying life. Perfectionism is about fear of failure. Rather the feeling of failure, worthlessness. If you can somehow comfort her in times of failure you can essentially teach her not to put so much pressure on herself. People often say to me that I am my worst enemy. Meaning that no one else would even notice the mistakes I make in life, so why do I chastise myself? It's the fear of rejection, failure, etc that I find hard to deal with.

Community Member

Hi there,

How is your wife today? 

Have you spoken to a psychologist yourself?

Community Member

I forgot to mention that you're support to your wife is lovely. To know that you haven't left because it's all too much & you don't know where to turn, shows how much you love her. Depression is complex & hard to navigate at the best of times. You have had some lovely supportive responses here.