FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

When will my depression lift its been over 3 weeks

M_down
Community Member

Hi,

i feel soo bad. This is the 3rd time I get depression first 2 times were 10 years apart and I really didn't know much about depression. Ladg eposiode before this I've was 3 years ago. I was put on medication and started to feel better in 2 weeks.  I'm so scared I will live my life like this. I have 2 daughters and a loving husband . Work wise I have some challenges and want to quit my business which I started a year ago and go back to my career. I have a problem of doubting everything including my dr assurance I will get better but it takes time. Anyone here who had depression lift and how long did it take and how u start to feel better. I can't remember how I got better the last time. Is it one day you wake up and feel better or a gradual thing. I'm desperate to feel better soon. Each day I wake up hoping I'm back to normal and get so disappointed when i''m not. I'm so testy and scared of not getting better

10 Replies 10

gld
Community Member

Hi M down,

You are putting a lot of pressure on yourself and i feel this could be hindering your recovery. People could talk about the length of their journeys to feeling well and each person has had a different experience that has triggered it as well as yourself each recovery time could be varied.

It is important you look after yourself to seek out the support you desire and this forum is a fantastic place to come read, post to give hope to hold on to throughout our journeys. In your post you have mentioned you are currently working on your medication with your doctor and sometimes it takes a little time to tweek. Good on you for taking the first steps to gain support from your doctor. Having a loving family is another wonderful support.

M down you have a lot on your slate and could benefit from some me time for some relaxation even if it is for a short time each day. This sort of thing has the ability to forget about the issues we are experiencing while doing so. In the past setting some time aside to worry each day has the power to contain the worry throughout the day as you have set a amount of time to do the worrying.

Give yourself time that you need to improve your well being and find releases that work for you to ease the pressure off you.

Gen

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi M down

Sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. I know how horrible depression is. The length of how depression is different for everyone. Some people may only have a really rough period for 2 weeks and some may have it for 6 months. Some have it chronically but it goes through really rough patches and mild patches. It is hard to say how long it will last in a given person. It maybe tempting to look at how long it lasted last time it hit you, however depression doesn't always work like that. The black dog may not return as the same bread so to speak. Sometime it hits harder, but that doesn't mean it can't be controlled and you can't get better. It just means you may need support for longer. I as well friends have had different bouts of depression and I have always come out the other end. You just need to remember that this isn't forever and it will get better. But use your support systems. Talk to your GP, friends and family if you want to. Try not shut down and don't be ashamed of it as it is nothing to be ashamed of.

BballJ
Community Member

Hi M down,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

One thing I have learnt about depression, anxiety or mental illness is the recovery takes a lot of time... there is no quick fix... medication takes time.. I remember the doctor saying it takes about 8 weeks to feel the full effects for me, but your body has to adjust and from my understanding 3 weeks just isn't long enough I may be wrong so please correct me if I am. We all want it to stop as soon as possible but it is a journey to recovery and I know it sounds cliche but it really is. Just keep going and following your doctors instructions.

My best for you,

Jay

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello M down, no one can say how long your depression will linger on, because everybody is different, some people react much quicker to medication while others struggle with it, but even though you maybe able to overcome your depression that doesn't mean that it's gone forever, because unfortunately all of us still have it, ready to take control over us at any time.
Having your own business maybe a gamble which will cause stress and anxiety, so this could be the underlying problem, that's what only you will know.
My depression started to lift once the divorce was over, the house sold and living by myself in a rented house, however it wasn't instant, because there were periods during the day that were difficult.
To wake up feeling better is much the same as a gradual thing, no different than when you take a headache tablet, you begin to feel better but it's not instant.
If this medication doesn't seem to be working, then your doctor may want to change it, but stop your own business so that you can go back to what you want to do. Geoff.

M_down
Community Member
Thank you all so so much for your kind words. I really need them and need the reassurance. Last time it hit I think I started to feel better after 2 weeks, that's why I'm so anxious. Do you think speaking to a phycologist could help? I need someone to tell me how to cope until it lifts. Every morning I feel a mess a complete mess. I feel so scared and agitated. I feel I will live like that forever, I have been crying none stop for the last 3 days. The weekends are horrible. Even though I have my loving and extremely supporting husband and 2 daughters, I still feel soo down and flat. I feel I will live like that forever. What changes to my life can make me feel better. I want to come out the other end. What help is out there other than the medication until they work. Also do you think that  medication may not work this time? I keep reading confusing things on the internet which scares me more. I also want to sleep. Before my dose was increased I started to sleep better, now for the last 3 nights I can't sleep I'm so stressed. I need encouragement from people who experienced the same thing. What do you do to get through the day. I have 2 beautiful daughters and they are confused to see me cry all the time. Please advise.

Hikarue
Community Member

Hi M down. Welcome to the forum. 🙂

Firstly you can congratulate yourself that you are taking extra step to help yourself by coming to the forum. From your post, it seems like you are using medication to sort out your depression problem. Were you also using medication for your past depression? Have you tried other methods other than just relying on medication to do the quick fix?

Like what gld said, I agree that you are being too hard on yourself. Recovery takes time and if you don't give up hope it will eventually heal. I had 2 series of moderate to chronic depression in the past and it took a few years to recover. Coming from an overseas country which do not consider depression as a serious health issue, I had to sort it out myself. I never took any medication and the only way I found was effective for me is to change my environment. So maybe try to take up something new, new hobbies, go to new places and make new friends.

From your post, it seems that raising 2 children, keeping husband happy and your work is a major challenges in life for your and it drains your positive energy. Therefore you need to find a way fill back your positive energy slowly. Be patient and don't give up. Talk more often about your problems to trusted /mature friends. Find a community or counselor that can help you ease your state of on mind and don't rely too much on medication. Sorting out depression also needs knowledge,skills and help from people. Good luck.

BballJ
Community Member

Hi M Down,

Defintely seeing a psychologist will help, I can't help but speak highly of them, have you ever seen one before?

I haven't dealt with depression to your regard, mainly anxiety but I have dealt with the no sleep and what not, there isn't quick remedies but it's finding things that relax you... mine is music, I listen to music and it calms me down, being around other people does the same for me. Medication is one of those things where our bodies react to each one differently but they need time.

Is there anything you enjoy doing that makes you happy?

My best,

Jay

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello M down, I totally agree with Hikarue which I forgot to mention in my reply and that's another reason why I overcame depression, was because I totally changed everything I had done before, in other words I turned 360 degrees and started doing what I had never done before, because if I still tried to do what I was doing before then how was I supposed to get better, but you have to do it slowly, othwerwise you will get lost and then not be prepared to continue.
Learn something new and build on from there. Geoff.

NiceOneGary
Community Member

Hi M down and i too am so saddened to hear that you are having a tough time. I am so HAPPY that you have taken the first step - and yes it is tough ... as i have read.

I started my meds about 4 weeks ago and felt much like you; i found two things have helped; 1. Exercise! I hate doing it but it makes me feel better. I drag my butt to the gym and try to do 20 minutes a day. It's sometimes nearly impossible to do but it will help and kind of 'softens' the hardship. 2. Avoid Stress. Easier said than down i know. I run my own business too and have tried to lay low for a bit while i start to feel better. Stressing won't help I am told ... then i get stressed about being stressed ... 🙂 Try and avoid any confrontations or 'bad' situations. I read through all the advice from the fellas above and it's good stuff. I know we/you/I will all get through this ok. Small steps. I wish you all the very very best mate!