FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trying to deal with possible new diagnosis of BiPolar

Becca_Maria
Community Member
Hi, for years I dealt with the sadness and feelings of worthlessness as just that, I was weak and just get over it. It wasn't until 2015 or a bit before when I was formally diagnosed as "Depressed" (Im turning 40 this year). From there it has been a trial of medications until we thought we got it right. That is until now when my recent visit to Psychiatrist had him revisiting his theory to question "Mania". Long story short I hadn't been able to see this psychiatrist again till now, so more than 3 years later. First step now is to wean off the medication now that he believes has been basically a toxin to me and making me and my condition worse. I see him again next week for the next step, but basically now we need to delve into a new diagnosis of possible Bipolar. I honestly just feel so weird about it. Excited that I might be able to fix myself "again" but so nervous at such a confronting "disease/illness". How did you deal with a new diagnosis?
10 Replies 10

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Great question. First diagnosed 2003 with ADHD and depression. Rediagnosed in 2009 by another psych with bipolar2, depression and dysthymia. So took 12 different pills over 6 years and of course none worked.

My new diagnosis was exciting as I knew they got it right. New meds, it took a couple then- the right one came along, then found the right dose for me.

Bipolar is like being on a swing. One upward direction is mania, the other depression and for short periods in the middle is normality. The most compatible medication will lower those two extremes so you swing much less. You become more manageable.

However what remains of the illness will hang about. Monitoring it by you and your close family will see gp visits to adjust meds and at times therapy can be really worthwhile.

Finally, accepting your bipolar for being part of you. Remember, there are many people in society with addictions and attitudes that have far worse consequences we do as medicated bipolars. Also medication could be lifelong. The benefits are worth it...especially for those around you.

Here is something you can google

Beyondblue Topic depression is there any positive

Beyondblue Topic medication is a whirlpool

Beyondblue Topic acceptance, is this our biggest challenge?

Take care, relax and repost anytime

TonyWK

Hi, Glad to see that you're using this site. About 3 or 4 years ago I started looking here and got an Idea of the symptoms of BP and had a pretty good idea that I was BP2 that was pretty quickly diagnosed by a psychiatrist.

For me that was a very good thing. I was asked what I wanted to happen, to which I said, 'pill me, make me better'. This was a very simplistic answer.

I'll take a step back. I'm 48, so, properly diagnosed when 44, but pretty sure I had the condition. I loved the highs, all the energy in the world, the smartest person in the world and in ways able to be so creative and actually make some pretty cool things. (I did stand up comedy and did some html coding). Oh, BTW, I believe comics are over represented with mental disorders. Stephen Fry, Robin Williams and many many at the lower comedic realms. Back to topic

My bipolar was getting dramatically worse both high and low. Lows were terrible and after seeing others with the high, I realise that that was terrible too, but for others.

Finally getting treatment was very exciting (pills). and for me, it worked pretty much overnight. I may be one of the lucky ones. I'm told that for the people that it works for, it works very well.

So.... my friends around me can't believe the difference, my lows have gone. Just the normal lows that any one gets. I think my highs are far less so.

There is help, there are solutions. Massive problem for BPs is that organisation thing. I struggled with being organised and starting things terribly. I couldn't even use the phone to contact people. Now most of that is gone. Made a massive improvement to my life.

My end note. There can be soooooo many positives to come from this. And I hope the solution and or diagnosis works for you.

Oh. For me, I wear my BP as a badge of honour. While there is still prejudice and misunderstanding out there, I find that this is lessening. I refer to my medication as crazy pills, in a very irreverent way, but also explain about my body's chemical imbalance and the way that it makes me act without the pills. But the lassaifare way might come from my comedic background.

Cheers. Exciting times.

geoff_s
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I am an 82 year old medicated and living a 'normal' Bi Polar life

My GP initially in my mid 30's treated me for anxiety for some 10 years

My family suggested Psychiatric help ,,me reluctant, so my disrupting life raising a family and running my own business continued.

At last Psychiatric help and a changed life with the 'Demon'pacified.

PLEASE GET THE RIGHT HELP EARLY That way those around you can have the benefit of a more peaceful life

Becca_Maria
Community Member
Thankyou! Instead of nerves I now feel a little excited but mixed with impatience. I just want to be fixed now!! Getting out of the low's is getting so much harder. Onwards and upwards fingers crossed

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Welcome Becca_Maria,

I've also had similar experiences but not BP. I must confess that when you finally have someone who agrees that you've been on the wrong medication and weens you off the old stuff is quite a sigh of relief!

But the other flip side is: getting a different label and adjusting to that. I always find it a relief just to have a label. At least you, then know or can find out, what is normal for you. You know that you're different so how are you different? Being able to find this out is always a huge relief!

I agree with you that getting over the lows is much harder. So I suggest that when you get the lows to expose yourself to more sunlight where possible. This generates serotonin which makes you feel good and better to generate positive feelings in your brain.

Don't hesitate to ask your psychiatrist for referral to psychological therapy either. Trauma therapy can be very beneficial to many. I also wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you have definitely got BP without further tests, and you have been weened off your old medication. I suggest that you be patient with your psychiatrist for now and make use of the suggestions that Tony WK gave.

Take Care.

Irene.

bushwalker
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I too would like to provide some insight to this condition. I was finally diagnosed with BP around 8 years ago. ( and I am now 60 yo) . I had previously been treated for depression for over 20 years which only complicated my BP. Once I had been diagnosed and treated my world changed. I also miss the highs but do not think I could ever go back. A great psychiatrist helped me move in the right direction and medication, continuing to live a healthy active life - not touching alcohol has put me in a good place. I too have spoken to close friends and family to give them a better understanding. I am lucky to have a very patient family who now understand those mood swings and dark moments that I struggled though in the past.

So I too can say all is good, I can live with my medication - it is all worth while and has changed my life completely.

Thankyou Irene, such helpful words x

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

No problems Becca_Maria.

Just remember that changing of any medication is quite a major adjustment for your body, so changing things too frequently will not necessarily allow the full benefits to kick in. So whilst your waiting for this to happen, make full use of this forum, think positive.

One thing that helps me to be positive when I am down is to write my negative thoughts in a journal. NB: this does not work for everyone. Write down anything that is negative and just brain storm your whole thoughts out onto the paper, and gets it off your mind. This can free you up mentally. Once you've had a chance to let go of those thoughts you can later go back to them and when more positive consider ways to change those thoughts. If using a journal, I have a negative page on one side and positive on the other.

Being able to replace negative thoughts with a more realistic and positive perspective can make a big difference. When we are stressed we are always inclined to think the worst possible scenario; but in reality most of the time the worst does not happen.

Take care

Irene.

bushwalker
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Becca

I would like to share my story. I think it will be helpful. I am older (60) but I was diagnosed with"depression" over 25 years ago and was put on anti-depressants. Over the years I was put in some rather stressful situations and ended up in hospital. I ended up seeing a psychiatrist believed from a few sessions that I was in fact possibly bipolar. I was taken off my other meds and was put on the appropriate meds to deal with this new diagnosis. This has changed my life, I have never been in more control of my life but I have also made lifestyle changes to complement. Lots of exercise, dont work long hours and no alcohol. Bipolar has changed my life now that I understand what I have lived with most of my life. The medication is not an issue and I look forward to enjoying a very long life with my family.