FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

talking a lot after starting meds

deprees8
Community Member

hi everyone,

dpress8 here just want to find out if i am not alone in this quandary. i have noticed when i first started taking the anti depressants and im noticing again that i am talking a lot more than usual i just want to know if im alone in this or did anybody else notice this when they started on the meds. im starting to worry that im talking to much when im out and people are staring to notice and "judge me". please let me know what your experiences were or if im totally "alone" in this cheers and have a good day people. and as i say to everyone i meet now. Smile.

4 Replies 4

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Deprees

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting. It's good you came here to get answers.

Talking more than usual may be because you feel better and more inclined to join in conversations. It's important to recognise what is happening and for how long. Some antidepressants (AD) have unwelcome side effects many of which disappear in a few weeks. Keep a record of these.

Medication is different for everyone. I cannot take SSRI because of the severe side effects for me. However a colleague taking the same AD had no problems at all. Consequently I never had what the psych called "a therapeutic dose". In reality I was fighting my depression on my own until I was prescribed an AD from the TCA group. As I often say, horses for courses.

Does the talking bother you? Do you feel you are talking about inappropriate topics or giving too much information? Do you feel that you cannot stop talking? These are the questions you need to discuss with your doctor. By the way, is it your GP prescribing the meds or do you see a mental health person? Whoops! I feel I am asking a lot of questions but most are for you to answer. In any case I suggest you see your prescribing doctor and tell him/her what is happening.

Talking too much as a result of taking meds has been my experience once and the psychiatrist stopped that AD. I found I was talking nineteen to the dozen. Listening to myself sounded weird but I could not stop. My psych thought it funny which I thought a touch unkind. I suspect he would have liked me to continue taking the meds because his complaint was that I found it hard to open up. However his sense of propriety said I should stop taking the meds.

There was no harm done to me but I was aware I may say something I would normally not say. How about you? So please see your doctor soon and tell him/her what's happening. There are many AD available and it is relatively easy to change your meds.

I have found that if my behaviour is different to the way I act usually I become self conscious and wonder what others are thinking. However it's only the people who know me who would see me as acting differently. It's possible other people may think you are a chatterbox and I guess that is a judgement call. But it's unlikely your talking would be seen as very unusual. I think we are our own harshest critics about anything we do. So make an appointment to see the doctor ASAP as this clearly worries you and it's one thing you don't need when managing your depression.

Mary

hi thanks for the advice yes i have seen the doc and i have mentioned that i seem to talk a lot but the thing is, is that i did notice before when i was on the meds that after a year i did find my zen so to speak and i was talking less than i was at the start. and yes i am aware that we are our self worst critics. but hey i must admit if it wasn't for the meds i wouldn't be were i am now talking to complete strangers and even making new friends. so i guess talking does help. oh well i will just wait for that year to roll around and see what happens again.

Glad to hear you are comfortable with your talking. Medication can help a great deal when we are depressed. It doesn't 'cure' us but it does help us to get to that place by reducing background 'noise'.

You have been down this road so you know what to expect. It's always good to know there is a solution even if it is a little way ahead. Glad you feel you are making new friends. Many people find it hard to make their first post but it does get easier. Talking to someone you have never met before is sometimes easier than confiding in a friend. I think, at least as far as BB is concerned, that knowing I would not recognise you if I bumped into you in the street so to speak makes it more comfortable to chat. A bit like talking to someone on the bus. You will probably never see that person again.

Mary

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi deprees8

Glad to hear the meds have given you a new lease on life.

Going back a number of years here, back to the days where my teenagers were babies. Was onto a great anti-depressant before becoming a mum but that particular dose no longer worked after having my 1st child (perhaps due to a shift in hormones/chemistry). The dosage was upped. I became a super chatterbox with an intense amount of energy. The intense energy was doing my head in a little so I had to search for a different anti-depressant.

I believe the experimentation aspect, trialing different anti-depressants, can have a bit of a mad scientist feel to it (or should I say sad scientist in the case of depression). You can sort of imagine yourself in a lab mixing chemical after chemical, searching for that Eureka moment. Leading up to that Eureka moment, some cocktails or anti-depressants may prove explosive, entailing intense unwanted side effects, and some cocktails may hold no significant reaction at all. At the end of the day, when mixing external chemistry with internal chemistry, it can become a matter of dosage and timing. Hopefully time will see everything balance out for you regarding your current medication.

In the meantime, try and remember that it can be easy for those 'outside the lab' to sit in judgement but if only the knew how finely tuned our chemistry actually is, they would applaud you for taking proactive steps toward mastering it. Being an active participant in our own biology is was makes us 'rad (profound) scientists'.

Take care 🙂