FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sleep Anxiety lead to depression. How do I fix it?

Luckylukyno
Community Member

For my whole life I have struggled with sleep and it's not until the last year or so where I haven't slept at all. I would sleep for maybe 4 hours ever couple of days for a week and then I would not sleep for 7 to 8 weeks straight, it would then repeat for the whole year. It is not a choice, it's anxiety. I don't know what to do and im terrified that i wont be able to sleep again. The fear engrosses me. I feel like this is what's caused my depression. I never want to do anything, yet I feel so lonely, i feel it in my stomach. 

Another factor that's possible caused my depression is alienation from my family and friends...

to anyone who has been through a similar experience, i understand, you are not alone and it is important that we help each other through hard times.

2 Replies 2

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Luckylukyno

My heart goes out to you as you face such overwhelming challenges and such a combination of them. Good quality sleep can play such a major role in day to day function, in physical function and in mental function. I can recall the dysfunction that came from a depressing lack of sleep after I had both my kids. One of the main reasons I only had 2 kids was due to the mind altering sleep deprivation and the side effects that came from that. Completely understandable as to why sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture in some parts of the world. Sleep deprivation can feel brutal. Were the reasons for your sleep problems every identified at any stage over the years? Can you recall what may have started it all? Perhaps there are some significant chemical imbalances that need to be identified. The chemical imbalances, depression and anxiety that can come from a lack of good quality sleep (whether that comes from insomnia or even sleep apnea) can be so tough to live with. Talking to your GP about it all and perhaps considering a sleep study could be a step in the right direction.

Alienation from family and friends can definitely feel like another form of torture. Family and friends aren't simply people, they're also resources for overall well being in a number of ways. So it's about losing resources too. I've often found coming here to be a good resource for my mental well being. I've had a number of people lead me to great revelations over the years, shedding light on what can sometimes feel like a very dark part of life's path. There are some truly beautiful guides on the forums here. Glad you're using here as a resource. Do you have any others?

David35
Community Member
I suffer from insomnia too, although not as bad as you mentioned. Lack of sleep makes me feel irritable, touchy and argumentative. Have you tried talking to your gp?