FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

Ruskaya
Community Member

I have major depression which is much worse at the moment because of the darkness (Melbourne winter). I am barely functioning and having suicidal thoughts. Seasonal affective disorder doesn’t even come up in a search. Does anyone know anything about lights for SAD? I’m already on double dose of antidepressants and am trying to find something else that might help. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Ruskaya

Welcome to the forums and to this kind and supportive community. We are really sorry to hear that you are having these intense feelings at the moment.  Thank you for showing such courage in posting and sharing that experience.   In addition to posting in the forums, we also invite you to call or chat to one of our trained mental health professionals who will also be able to listen and offer care; it’s completely confidential and available 24/7:   To call us, contact 1300 22 4636
To use webchat, Click Here 
  Thank you again for joining this community, we hope that you can join other conversations that resonate with you and read about other users and their journey to better mental health.   Kind regards,   Sophie M  

kitty21
Community Member

Hi everyone I am unsure what to do at this point. My sister has told me that she is struggling with depression at the moment crying almost everyday.

She is a mother of two and she is struggling at the moment. I to have depression and have trouble with expressing myself, especially sympathy in the moment. A couple of weeks ago my young nephew was having a bad tantrum and hitting both me and my sister he has never been like this before.

My younger nephew is 3 years old. My sister was in tears in this moment and I tried to comfort her but I couldn't figure out how. I am single and have no kids, so I sympathise with her but I don't know what it is like to be a 24/7 parent. She told me later that I lack initiative to help her, when I am at her house eg. washing dishes and helping her look after her kids etc. Which is so true.

I want to help her so much, because she has helped me so much, but I need help myself. I feel that I am putting a lot of pressure on myself, resulting in my own depression and anxiety attacks.

I have suggested to her to go out and do activities without the kids, because she needs her own identity but she is at the point where she is uncomfortable to do things like that.

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions will be helpful thanks.