FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

Hi whocanhelpme,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us here. It takes a lot of courage to reach out to our online community and we’re really glad that you have.

We are sorry to hear that lockdown and unsupportive friends have got you feeling so low that you are questioning your purpose and that you don't feel like living anymore. We understand how hard it can be to sit with such strong emotions, so we want to remind you that all life is important, including yours and you have significant strength and deserve to live a happy life. 

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

It could also be worth getting in touch with Kids Help Line. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under.

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Adalaide
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I still very much struggle with maintaining my depression but over the years I have found a few things that have really helped me to feel much better.

1. Sometimes listening to what your body wants you to do is the best thing. Of course, this only refers to doing things like allowing yourself some extra sleep or taking some time off of work (if you are able to) to rejuvenate when everything in the world feels too hard.
  2. Journalling!!! This can look so different from person to person but writing down your thoughts can help differentiate between those thoughts that are valid and those that are not. It also allows you to realise that thoughts aren't fact.
  3. Talk to the people around you. Getting support is hard and it can make you feel less than, but remember that you would never think less of someone you love experiencing something like depression so they won't do that to you.
  4. See a psychologist - this is so important to find some incredible tips that are more unique to you plus it gives you someone to talk to about all of your thoughts.

I hope this helps!

Hello everyone
this is a useful thread so I wanted to bump it up the list.
If you are reading this for the first time there are many interesting amd helpful threads here.
it is a good place to share your experiences of what helps you.

I so identify with you Nettie. It is so terribly frustrating wanting to get things done but not having the motivation to do anything. And yes having a hubby that just doesn’t get it. If you don’t know what to do, you do nothing is his motto 😞

markinqld
Community Member
Just wanted to share this video of-Born too be alive disco contest as it always seems to cheer me up when I'm feeling depressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1LP81eSKY

Mitten
Community Member
I'm not used to this place so idk if this I where I talk about this stuff but recently I've just been crying non stop having dreams where all my friends leave me and in som of them I S/H it scares me but the stress of grade 12 has made my depression worse to the point where I can't even do my school work anymore. I can barely find the effort to get out of bed and if I feel genuinely happy I start to hate myself because my brain tells me I'm just faking being depressed. It doesn't help that my grandpa died at the start of this year. Everything had just gone to crop and idk how much longer I can push through

Dear Mitten,

Thank you so much for coming to the forums and bravely sharing your experiences. We hope that you feel safe and supported to continue posting on the forums, this is a welcoming and accepting community who offer genuine and honest advice and support. 

It is very common for people to express feelings of doubting how they feel, but only you can express those feelings. Pleae know you are in the right place to discuss, discover and express yourself and how you feel without judgement. We can hear that you are grieving following your grandpa's passing, please be assured this is a normal and healthy process following the loss of a loved one. It may feel as though there is no end to the grief and depression, but we as a community are here to support you on that journey. 

It sounds very distressing to have dreams of that nature and it must also make it hard to get a good nights rest. We would highly recommend discussing these issues with your G.P as they may provide specific techniques or aids to help you through this period of adjustment and asist with sleeping.

Please know that you're not alone with this, you can call the Beyond Blue Support Service at any time, on 1300 22 4636 or webchat via Beyond Blues Website https://www.beyondblue.org.au/support-service/chat . They can help if you feel you need someone to talk to or to discuss assistance that may be available for you.

Also avalible are Kids Helpline (for ages between 5 and 25) 1800 551 800.

It's worth remembering that immediate support is not available via the forums. Some days are slower than others, and some topics hit home with people more than others. The amount of replies received will always vary from day to day. If you feel that your safety is at risk please call emergency on 000.

We understand feeling that it can be overwhelming joining the forums, but we would love for you to continue to seek out further ideas and recommendations within the community. These are links to a relevant threads, https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/grief-and-loss/dealing-with-grief-and-loss
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/depression/self-help-tips-for-managing-depression 

We hope that you find help and support through the experiences and knowledge shared by the great Beyond Blue community, please continue to share with us and engage on the forums. Thank you again for trusting the community to assist you and being strong enough to share your personal experience.

Warm regards
Sophie M

Scarab
Community Member
It seems so lonely but people are here to support you. I am new here and I hope I can give and receive support. 🙂

Maxeen
Community Member
I am lonely and got not interest in doing things I like doing

Dear Maxeen,

Firstly, welcome to the forums we are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. We hope that you find ideas, options and support from the shared experiences and knowledge of all our members. This is a safe space to share and express your own feelings, struggles and experiences without judgement.

Regards
Sophie M