FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here, looking for advice.

Cicero
Community Member
Hi there,

I have been struggling with depression since I was 14, it has always really been a part of me, a bedrock 'emotion' that is just normal for me to feel. My self confidence has always been 0, especially in regards to relationships, and I thought and accepted for a long time I would be alone for the rest of my life. I had contemplated suicide through my teens, wanted to do it, but ended up chickening out on many occasions because the idea of death frightened me. I'm 20 now, and recently by some miracle got my first girlfriend. I thought the depression would just go, however it has been quite the contrary. I still don't feel it likely or very possible she likes me very much, but I'm rolling with it, living in an ignorant bliss for now. We are planning on meeting again (long distance relationship), and I can't be in this state when we do. I just don't know what to do, other than obviously speaking to a therapist, but it feels more comfortable asking for help online.

Thanks,
Cicero
1 Reply 1

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi Cicero,

Welcome to the forum. Great to see you reaching out for some support. I am sorry that you are experiencing these symptoms. Having a low mood and low self confidence can be really hard. You are not alone and will certainly find some support here on the forum. There are also many options available online now a days. I will recommend a couple of options for you but it would be a really good idea to go and talk with a Doctor (GP) in any case. By talking with a GP, you can have a person assess your symptoms and can offer some suggestions to treatment based on your whole of health history. Doctors can also do a physical exam and rule out anything physical that could be contributing to your symptoms such as a lack of a certain vitamin or mineral etc.

Some suggestions for support that can be accessed online are as follows:

There is a program for people under the age of 25 called eheadspace that many people have found support though. You need to register and can chat with a counsellor. The link to visit this page is https://headspace.org.au/eheadspace/

Another option for some people is using a free program called Mindspot which is for people over the age of 18 and can help with low mood and worry. Support is offered both online and via phone support. You can visit the site and have a look at the treatment programs by going to this link https://mindspot.org.au

Finally, if you would like to have a discussion with a person on the phone, the Beyond Blue Support Line is a really supportive place where you can discuss a pathway to get care. You can contact the support line on 1300 22 4636 anytime. Beyond Blue also have a chat service which you can find at the top right corner of your screen.

There are many options out there and you have already started your journey by reaching out here. This is a really hard first step and it's important to be gentle to yourself during this time. Please keep posting and let us know how you go in getting support. You could be well on your way towards healing before your next visit with your girlfriend.

Wishing you the best possible outcome,

Nurse Jenn