FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help- angry outbursts

Lilly18
Community Member

Can anyone relate,

I have suffered with what I call rage..smashing things, yelling and swearing I have no tolerance for absolutly anything. I know it's not nice for my children to be around

5 Replies 5

Munroscout
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lilly,

I used to get angry a lot prior to being diagnosed with bipolar. Meds and talking with psychologist have helped immensely. I’m the moment remove your self and breath deeply in through the nose out through mouth. Even 10 secs and you’d be surprised how much it helps. When calm try and find out what the root cause of the anger is. Write it all down. That “diary” gives ou a place to vent.

Hope it helps,

MS

Thanks for the reply.

Stopping in the moment and breathing is something I really need to work on, I have been saying that for months. When I get angry like that its like I NEED to get it out.

I have started seeing a psycologist, i find it hard to open up..I was doing good on meds at the start of the year then went down hill about 9 weeks in so dr switched to a different class of meds. Seems good but sometimes I feel high as a kite and rush rush rush. Then I get the angries back and I feel like a monster

Munroscout
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Talk to your GP about the meds. When I get manic it’s far more easy to angry cause your moving quickly and so is your brain. So it’s easy to get frustrated with other people moving slowly, traffic jams, others leaving tools etc. Its hard to breath at first but close your eyes and try thinking of a place you love then start breathing. Know your triggers also. When I start to get angry I start to bite my bottom lip. At that stage I remove my self from the area and mentally go to cradle mountain to relive my last holiday.

Best wishes

MS

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Lilly

Hello and welcome. Thank you for this topic which I believe affects many people and who find it difficult to manage. I was talking to my psychiatrist this morning about that very topic. Have you ever spoken about this with a mental health professional?

Having several deep breaths before you start to speak is a good idea. I know it's hard when you are so filled with anger that it's all you can see. I have found that physically removing myself from the situation is a good start. Go and do some self-talk about why you are so upset. Remember you are only responsible for your own behaviour, not others.

Writing about the incident is a good plan. I think you will gradually gain some self control once you see actions written down and realise how much your actions add to the conflict. Learn how to take your emotions out of the equation. Not an easy job I know and perhaps having the services of a psychologist may suit you best.

Mary

Thanks Mary,

I did tell my psychologist about it, i had ripped and kicked off wardrobe doors, smashed laptops, smashed carton of eggs, punched walls, smashed photo frames, my 2yr old was being fussy at breakfast so I threw the bowl at the wall and smashed it. I even thew the vaccume cleaner. 

That's when I got on meds, did ok for a few months started getting verbal and very nasty, switched meds did ok for a bit now I have started smashing things again that I have had to pay to fix.

It's a horrible feeling 😭😭

I havnt told anyone about the vaccume cleaner incident, im too scared. Im scared that i cant get this under control