FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Does there have to be a 'life event" reason for depression

ewart
Community Member
The battle I continue to have is that there appears to be no rhyme nor reason for my mental descent into this involuntary melancholy. Yesterday, for no explicable reason, I felt in control of my emotions and went about my day just feeling "normal". It is such as great feeling when the weight has gone and yet today, right now, and for no reason that I understand, the elephant has returned and sits squarely on my chest and he won't budge. I read everyone's own experience with this "thing" and there appears to be a reason for most people in terms of their journey with this debilitating madness. I can't find a reason, well a conscious one at least. Family and friends need to find a reason and constantly tell me why I must be feeling the way I do. It frustrates the hell out of me because they're wrong but they need to hang their hat on something. Is it possible that there is no reason for this solo journey of torment.
5 Replies 5

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Ewart

From my whole entire time on here, I would have loved to have come up with just a one word answer and display that – just to show that I don’t have to write passages and passages of words, but alas, I’ve failed my quest again.

Your answer is a simple:

“No”

There doesn’t need to be a massive life changing event – because often those things can be accidents resulting in bad injury or worse – and then that would potentially fall under PTSD.

But that’s the whole thing about depression – it’ll just latch onto any of us.   People who you wouldn’t think would have a concern in the world, have the 2.2 kids, a white picket fence, a dog and a loving partner, steady job, yada yada yada, and still they’ll fall victim to this mongrel illness.

So if your family, friends wish to label it, they no doubt will – if it makes them feel better and that’s one thing to try not to stress about too much if you can.

Up days, and down days – we have them and we grow to endure them.  I think that’s all we can do, oh along with all the other mechanisms we need to be active with on a daily basis.

Cheers mate

Neil

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Ewart, I absolutely agree with Neil, the answer is NO, there doesn't have to be a reason why we get depression, which is why this illness is so tricky for not only our counsellors but also for us, or should I say that person who has been affected by this rotten disease.

A person could suddenly get depression when an event happens, that is so sad for them, but it's not because of this event that I become depressed, but people naturally would believe that this event has caused my depression, but it's not that, it's for other reasons which I don't know why, so in other words it's confused, in other words my depression has been caused by something in my life and not this event.

Sorry I haven't explained that too well, but again the answer is no. Geoff.

Yes!2Life
Community Member

Hi ewart,

Mine was brought on by a life event..
The Elephant is hanging around me all day and disturbs the night too.

Also, nobody will truly understand and you have to always be your own best friend. Trust your instincts for good and fight the evil as it occurs. Stay strong and study the anxiety and it's subsequent depression with a third person outlook.

That's what I've been doing.

GOD bless and Amen.

Yes!2Life

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ewart,

I related to some of your struggles. I agree that there isn’t always a reason.

For me, sometimes I have a reason.

But other times, like you, there is no rhyme or reason...

Kind thoughts,

Pepper

Hi,

I can only speak for myself and a couple of other people I know. For me I think it was a gradual descent. Each time something"bad" happened a negative thought would overrule a positive. A bit like the game of Reverso, except the board starts with all white (positive thoughts) pieces. Flip one or two pieces from white to black and no big deal. However, when half or most of the board is black pieces we might recognise that something is amiss, and then might seek help. The little things that chip away at the positive we might consider normal, believing that everyone goes through this. And as Geoff said, it can but at anytime, for any reason and all cases are unique. And in my case it is only when we hit rock bottom know there is a problem.

Triggers do exist, mainly for rising stress levels. But that for me is anxiety. And sometimes the polar opposite of depression.