FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do antidepressants make your life less stressful?

BlissfulPilgrim
Community Member

I know some people suffer from depression as a chemical imbalance, and others are depressed because of their circumstances. If there is no imbalance, then it is unlikely antidepressants will help. Or do the drugs just make you numb so that you learn to just put up with the situation, rather than dealing with it? Like brainwashing, instead of fixing the problem you just learn how to put up with the suffering in a socially acceptable way.

Then throw in the therapist for good measure - they can tell you how even though your life is stressful, you are just dealing with it wrong. Maybe I am not dealing with it wrong. Maybe I just have TOO MUCH STRESS. What can a therapist do about that? How can a psychiatrist make your life less stressful just by talking about it? Talking doesnt change the circumstances. All the psychotherapy in the world wont make people any nicer, or the world a better place to live in.

21 Replies 21

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello again BP

What do you think about my answer in your other thread? I do hope you found it useful.

I think there is a bit of a mix-up with your use of depression and medication.Depression has often been described as a chemical imbalance in the brain. In reality mental health professionals are moving away from using the chemical imbalance expression.

If someone is clinically depressed then the same things are happening in that person's body. We often here people say they are depressed because.... In reality they are sad, unhappy, hurt, frustrated, do not sleep well etc. because life has thrown a curve ball. While these circumstances may make for a complicated and difficult they do not make anyone automatically depressed. They certainly would benefit from help from a doctor or psychologist to help sort out the best way to manage this, they will not be given antidepressants (AD).

AD can help people to relax but not to become numb. Generally you must have depression to be given AD. It's a bit like giving someone antibiotics because they have the 'flu which is a viral infection and does not respond to antibiotics. If however you had the 'flu and a chest infection you would probably be given an antibiotic to heal the chest infection, a bacterial infection.

To go back to the vexed question of how can a psychiatrist make your life less stressful, the short answer is they cannot do this. What they do is help you to see the cause of your stress and work with you to manage that cause. If for example you believe your workplace is causing you too much stress you can leave. But if you basically like the job but think working in a different building would help to keep you healthy, then you can your employer to have the space inspected.

Everything that causes us stress is not part of a mental illness such as depression and we need to work out how we can manage these stressors. ADs are not intended to make you sleepy or numb. That is not what they are for. They do help to keep your brain under control which may mean talking with your GP to discover what you need to do. It is then up to you to get on with the job with enthusiasm. Nothing will work while you sit until you decide to take charge of your life.

Hope that answers your question.

Mary

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello BlessfulPilgrim

White Rose is spot on accurate with her counsel as usual. She has extensive experience where depression/anxiety is concerned

I find that antidepressants are not numbing or have a tranquilizing effect. My job performance increased as well as my quality of life too

Just my humble opinion.....AD's do provide us with a solid foundation on which we can heal more effectively using counseling and all the various coping mechanisms too 🙂

I hope you can stick around the forums BP....the forums are a safe and judgement free place for you to post

My kind thoughts

Paul

Unbeliever
Community Member

BlissfulPilgrim,
Absolutely awesome question. You're a "thinker" and not a... well, you know. One of those "other" people.

I'll cut and paste something I wrote the other day on my thread that you may find relevant.

The problem with naming such a "widespread and amorphous" condition as depression as a "mental disorder" is that once someone has been "diagnosed", it often becomes their identity and takes on a life of its own, even when an individual is reacting quite naturally to stress, financial problems, loss of a loved one, or just simple confusion about a complex world etc etc.

On an individual level, if those problems and stresses are ongoing, daily and continuous, then rationally any "depressive" feelings resulting from those things will also be ongoing, daily and continuous. Therefore that would not be an "illness" as much as a person who is in full understanding of their current daily circumstances.

In this scenario, there is no "brain chemical imbalance" regardless of whether it lasts for years or even decades. Daily and continuous real life problems in your personal life that are not "happy" situations to experience... would naturally make you feel continually sad.

*Although, whether exposure to these conditions for too long a period of time would condition your brain to be depressed even after living in this daily scenario had ended and your situation had improved, that is a completely different issue. In that case... quite possibly then there could be an imbalance (this is being studied at the moment and so far is producing some interesting evidence).

Regardless, in the specific scenario you have described... then no. Anti-depressants could only succeed in altering your perception of your own real world situation. Which if your current perception was an accurate interpretation of your current circumstances... then obviously what you have described as "just put up with the situation, rather than dealing with it? Like brainwashing"... is not as far away from the truth as many people would like to admit (it scares them too much).

So unless your perception of reality is currently skewed it is likely that pursuing ways to deal with stress would currently be a far better application of your money and time.

Of course without knowing you directly and if what you "stress" about deserves that level of stress... that is mostly guesswork. Everyone is different and "knowing someone" via this medium alone is "virtually" (pun intended) impossible.

Thanks for your replies.

To Mary and Paul - after reading your answers I feel like what I have tried to say has been misinterpreted.

To Unbeliever, my stress comes from having to move more than 40 times in less than 40 yrs and being unable to have the means to change this situation. If my relationship ends, I will be homeless, again. I have no money to spend. What I need is secure affordable housing - not to change my perception so that my current housing/income situation is acceptable. If the solution was to change my perception - then getting stoned every day is preferable to antideppressants. So, what can I DO to remove the source of the stress?

From what you are saying, it appears that what you are "stressing" about is that you feel that you have (and have had) little to no control over the direction of your own life. That you are forced to "go with the flow" rather than have the power to forge your own path.

Believe it or not, but this may be one of the most common "stresses" effecting people currently worldwide in one way or another (although many do whatever that can to avoid thinking about it). However, I get the feeling that this is not an option for you, and even if it was... it is not an option you would want to take. This I can relate to.

Again, referring to the limited details that you have provided, it seems that what you need is a feeling of control over where you are going in your life and to have options (backups) available to you if/when things "fall apart" (which I'm guessing is what you repeatedly expect to happen because too many people have disappointed you before... am I right?).

I noticed on another thread that you mentioned about "being homeless if your relationship ends"... so I can assume that for some reason the thought of your relationship ending sooner rather than later is seriously plaguing your mind recently. Whether this is because it is a relationship that you want to escape from (but feel that you can't because you have nowhere to escape to) or because you believe that they are wanting to leave you... I can't be certain. But, again I get the feeling that this is far from the first time that you have been in a similar situation.

Unbeliever
Community Member
Everyone makes mistakes, but in order to get control over our own lives there is a very important first step... we have to start taking responsibility for our own choices (both past and present). Only when we do this can we start to take control instead of constantly giving it away to the others that surround us (and as a bonus enable ourselves to make better choices that put us in stronger positions in our lives in the future).

I don't know how exactly you arrived in your current situation. But in order to get your control back you will need to start making choices now for your "future self"... the person you will be years from now. So that "they" will never find themselves in the position that you find yourself in now. And when I say "now", I mean quite literally "today".

The specifics of these choices you need to make I cannot say (partly because it is an important part of the process to make these choices yourself, for yourself without relying on anyone else). But I can suggest that a good place to start is by slowly building a network of people who have nothing to do with your partner at all and by putting a little money aside gradually over time to build a "backup stash" set aside specifically so that you will never find yourself homeless (or have to worry about that at all ever again).

These are just suggestions, and they are not "overnight" or "miracle pill" solutions. But surely you didn't expect them to be? Which is exactly why you need to start making choices for the "you of the future now"... so that they will not have the stresses you have now.

I hope that makes sense, and I genuinely wish you (and the future you) the best of luck.

Hi Unbeliever,

I have been taking your suggestion seriously. My income (as an unemployed person) is $280 a week. My budget is $150 a week for rent (including water and electricity), $50 a week to repay a personal loan that I had when I was working and $80 a week for food and groceries. This budget does not include any medical, phone or pet bills, transport, clothing, dental, entertainment, relaxation, therapy, group activities, sports, birthday presents (for my son).

So, lets imagine I could save $10 a week. Then, if I was looking to be independent and rent my own place I would need first 2 weeks rent, 4 weeks bond, furniture (a fridge, a bed, maybe some towels etc) and moving costs (at a minimum). If I save for 2 years uninterrupted I would have $1040. Do you think that's enough? If I find somewhere to rent for $150 a week is $900 up front. But remember, I want to never have to worry about being homeless again. I cant really afford $150 a week - plus water and electricity. Landlords change their minds all the time - having a lease is no long term security. If they decide to sell, I could have to move again in 6 months (with no savings).

So lets imagine, to be secure, I want to buy my own home. And for arguments sake, lets say I could find a house for $100 000. I need realistically 5% deposit and 5% for costs? So only $10000. At $10 a week I can save for my own home in 19.23 years. But then again, I cant afford to live there because the rates and the insurance aren't in my $280 a week budget. And who knows what the interest rates would be like in 20 yrs.

And, in both of these scenarios, it relies on me NEVER using my $10 a week saving for medical or dental or any accident or emergency that might come up in the meantime. AND, they are both based on a fantasy, since I dont even have $10 a week.

Please, anyone, I honestly would like to know, HOW do I get in a position where I never have to worry about being homeless again?

Hi Blissful Pilgrim,

This certainly is a huge dilemma and I don't have the answer for you. If I were to leave my partner I would be in the same position as you! So I stay.

Is it possible for you to consider shared accommodation? Could you afford to share a rental property?

It is such a shame this country is not geared up differently so more affordable housing is available!

Would you be eligible for rent assistance from the Government?

Feeling like you are stuck in a situation you have little control over and don't know how to fix must be very exhausting for you! Hope you find some answers.

Cheers from Dools

Back to your original question, yes I do believe that in many cases, if the appropriate medication is given to people, than yes, antidepressants can make a huge difference in a person's life.

Medication is not the whole solution. Learning to deal with issues and stress does help too.

The medication makes it easier to cope and may help you to think more clearly so you can find solutions and not be so overwhelmed( which is understandable to feel that way in your circumstances)