FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do antidepressants make your life less stressful?

BlissfulPilgrim
Community Member

I know some people suffer from depression as a chemical imbalance, and others are depressed because of their circumstances. If there is no imbalance, then it is unlikely antidepressants will help. Or do the drugs just make you numb so that you learn to just put up with the situation, rather than dealing with it? Like brainwashing, instead of fixing the problem you just learn how to put up with the suffering in a socially acceptable way.

Then throw in the therapist for good measure - they can tell you how even though your life is stressful, you are just dealing with it wrong. Maybe I am not dealing with it wrong. Maybe I just have TOO MUCH STRESS. What can a therapist do about that? How can a psychiatrist make your life less stressful just by talking about it? Talking doesnt change the circumstances. All the psychotherapy in the world wont make people any nicer, or the world a better place to live in.

21 Replies 21

Hi Mary,

I am confused. I have no idea what i am doing. I have tried many antidepressants without success. I was thinking about trying again, but I havent read anything convincing.

My biggest problem is probably that I dont know how or where to talk about my problems - and there is probably another thread for that. It seems like asking for help is a waste of time. Either I just have to learn to put up with it or I have to take action into my hands.

Hello BP

I want to tell you a couple of things. We are not MH professionals and therefore we cannot discuss any medication in detail. We cannot engage in any counselling in the formal face to face manner for the same reason. What we can do is describe our own experiences and those outcomes and try to match some of these with your experiences. We can support you for as long as it takes and talk pretty much about anything you feel will help. The main point is that we 'get you'. We have all had our hurts and frustrations.

Now that is not meant to be any kind of put down. I think many who post here find it helpful to know others have experienced similar histories and have been incredibly hurt at times. More importantly, we have come out the other side.

I would like to suggest that you start the therapy path again. I am very aware of how frustrating this sounds to you and I would like to tell you a little about myself. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for several years. Initially I was very guarded in these interactions partly because I went to a psychologist for several years before discovering he was not qualified. I became very distrusting as you can probably imagine. My personality make up also makes me guarded when talking to anyone. So not a promising start to therapy.

I think it took the best part of a year to feel comfortable, able to talk in some depth about myself and to develop some trust. There are still times when I back off from topics because I get cold feet. Initially I saw this psych fortnightly and had heaps of support from my GP who had referred me to the psych. When my GP suddenly left the practice I was a mess. It was totally unexpected and made more difficult when my 'stand by GP' also left. So no one to talk to regularly except the psych and she increased by appointments to weekly.

We do occasionally have a chuckle about our first meetings and it has been useful in terms of my therapy. However, I am still wary because that's me and also wondering where the next crunch will come.

I really do 'get' you even though our lives have been different. I have not experienced any part of homelessness as you have done and it makes me sad that you have been in such dire straits. I wish there was a way I could make you feel secure.

So what do you think of starting over? Can you see your GP and take it from there? I am still wondering about your relationship and if there is a likelihood of separation. That would be an enormous pressure.

Mary