FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression- our ultimate goal.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

We have quite a large community here. So many people suffering depression. Most have several symptoms in common, lack of motivation, worthlessness, sleep and more sleep, moodiness and the list - well I've only scratched the surface.

Sadly (and I wont ignore it) many mentioning they want to give up on life. And of course, that there is nothing left that  stimulates them. Yet, this is so totally wrong. We know in our hearts and logic that there are things you can do in life that will leave you breathless with excitement, place a smile on your face for days with you ringing all your friends to tell them and some experiences that will be lifelong memories. Yet for the deeply depressed this sadly is all irrelevant. Either their depression is so deep they dont want to even entertain the ideas or physically they are drained by meds.

What I want from this thread is for you to dream, to open up your cloudy mind to what is possible when you are in the depths of sleep or despair. As you lie there in bed have simply thoughts, simply plans to chase those experiences when your cycle has run its cruel course. 

So you wait till then. And a day comes when you are feeling not bad. you look at your partner and tell them to find the nearest hot air ballooning business "we are gunna fly".  Or hire a speed boat, light aircraft or helicopter flight, lunch at a revolving restaurant anything for that "buzz". Totally out of your comfort zone? you bet ya.

On the wrong tram? tell me, criticise me, suggest anything, talk, say it, I dont care, I am willing to take anything on the chin with this. Frankly, I will do anything to make progress with one person and I hope that person is you. Why?

Because yes, I've been there, I've come out the other side and managed my depression to a more stable level but I never forget those times and I will fight like hell to never return there. I want you, the reader to do the same, to travel on the same journey I've endured, to hold the hands of your family and run with them ....into the sunlight as one, laughing and loving.

You will not give up hope. You will wait for that day of calm and end of cycle peace to arrive and you will show that black dog where to go. And your partner/children/family members will look at you in awe, because you would have done activity that is not parallel to the symptoms of your illness. You will do it because you can, you will never give up. Your kids will love you for trying.

You will fight like you've never fought before.

32 Replies 32

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi dougall

thank you for your post - I appreciate it.

I (think) I know who I am or have been and that is just it.  I am now rapidly changing; my mood, my behaviour, .... I don't particularly like what I feel now - dull and unemotional.  I am beginning to become curious to see how my mood, thinking and behaviour changes if I stop the medication.  Would I recover the passion, the emotion I used to have ... with all of its baggage (rhetorical question). 

Thanks for responding.

k

k

dougall
Community Member
Hi, I think we all loose the passion for things and find it hard to get back.  Little steps might work, I am trying myself.  I used to love gardening, reading, walking, knitting, craft work, dancing, darts, swimming,making people laugh, now I dabble in most of them but can't say I have the same enjoyment from them.  I have made a list of things I would like to do and some of them are definitely out of my comfort zone, being on this forum is one.  I am going to try and do this list and at the end of it the last thing I have written is write another list.  Hope is what we have and things will get better.  I think we move through life which is not straight and has temptation so the detours we take along the way just add something to the journey.

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
How true! Thanks Dougall.