FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Denial

Lillifee
Community Member

Hi,

I've got a chronically ill child. The situation has sent me spiralling down into a place I could have never imagined.

Now, almost 3 weeks into medication, I can feel something is shifting, and it scares me. Part of me wants to stay under water, where the feelings are muffled and I don't have to face it.

NOT referring to suic here. Just merely wondering how to improve, if I kinda mentally refuse to....

2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're going through with your child.  It takes a lot of strength to even begin to confront these difficult feelings, and it sounds like you have been proactive with starting medication. We all have our own experiences, and for me, starting a journey with getting help, brought clarity and struggle - when you have to face the challenges things seem more difficult. But with time there is also hope. 

However, it's important to remember that taking steps towards improving your mental health can lead to greater healing and resilience.

It's OK  to reach out for additional support, whether that be through therapy, support groups, or talking to trusted loved ones. It's okay to ask for help and support, especially during times of difficulty. Remember to be kind and patient with yourself as you navigate this challenging journey.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you are going through this. Being a caregiver of a chronically ill person is just as taxing as having the illness itself. You are doing a great job.

As someone who is chronically ill (an autoimmune condition), denial is definitely part of it at first. When I first experienced symptoms, I looked for every possible explanation other than the one diagnosis I was fearing (and turned out to be true). When you say shifting - is this a good or bad improvement? Medication definitely has side effects, but the aim is that the good effects outweigh the bad. 

However, part of dealing with a chronic illness diagnosis is acceptance. A psychologist can help with this, but it does take time to accept that this is the card you have been dealt. Once I accepted it, things got a lot better and I have a positive outlook on my life still despite my illness (I don't let it limit me at all). 

Maybe you should consider asking your doctor for a referral to a psychologist.

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx