Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

oolsca Are these real signs?
  • replies: 2

* I try to feel positive, I find things to be thankful for and always see the glass half full * Feel as though I am forever trying to please people (mum inlaw) * I dislike myself alot (appearance, pretty much everything about me) * When I get praised... View more

* I try to feel positive, I find things to be thankful for and always see the glass half full * Feel as though I am forever trying to please people (mum inlaw) * I dislike myself alot (appearance, pretty much everything about me) * When I get praised at work for little things, I don't feel proud at all, I always wonder what I could have done to do even better) * I let others comments and judgement always affect me without meaning too * I have held on to a lot of hurt from when I was a child/teen (we all have hurtful times I know) and will not talk to anyone. * I trust no body and won't let anyone break my wall down these are just to name a few...

CashSmith Having trouble feeling anything
  • replies: 3

So... I've been having these problems for as long as I can remember, but recently a few other issues seem to have just piled up and made it more than I can stand. Most of the time, I have this weird feeling of numbness that pretty much pervades me bu... View more

So... I've been having these problems for as long as I can remember, but recently a few other issues seem to have just piled up and made it more than I can stand. Most of the time, I have this weird feeling of numbness that pretty much pervades me but seems to be localized in my chest, kinda like a hollow ache. Lately though, a really abrupt and gut-wrenching breakup with a woman that I spent a very long time falling in love with and issues with employment have ended up aggravating it. I have trouble getting to sleep, because I always dream and my dreams are so much better than my life right now that waking up is painful. So now, on top of the normal... I guess, apathy? I'm having trouble mustering the emotional energy necessary for anything, except for getting together with friends which is the only time I can feel anything other than empty. I'm planning on making an appointment with my doctor to get some kind of medication but I'd like some advice first. Is anyone familiar with this sort of thing? Is it bipolar or something else? I feel on top of the world when I'm hanging out and playing games with my friends but any other time is just... Crap. I appreciate any help.

Lost_one Been a struggle for so long-will it ever stop?
  • replies: 4

I had a bad day. Another one. As I washed up dishes tonight while husband put kids (2 young ones) to bed I actually thought wonder how I can go about passing legal guardianship of them to someone... surely I am not well enough to be looking after the... View more

I had a bad day. Another one. As I washed up dishes tonight while husband put kids (2 young ones) to bed I actually thought wonder how I can go about passing legal guardianship of them to someone... surely I am not well enough to be looking after them. I feel like I can't do another day in my shoes.... I know I have a pretty good life but my head is a wreck, the meds aren't working and no matter how much I talk and think about it I cannot implement the lifestyle changes my physchiatrist told me I need. (Exercise, stop working, have a break from child minding etc) My hubby tries to be there but I can't keep telling him I feel so unwell I can't get myself out of this. I love my kids- they are the reason I am still here.... but I have slipped lower and lower and I am scared one day I will slip to the point where I convince myself they dont need me. I am not there yet but I want to prevent that. Advice from other mums? anyone????

LKS Not coping very well
  • replies: 11

Hi, I have had depression, anxiety and low self-esteem for over 20 years. I left high school unable to cope with study, due to bullying (racism) from students and parental pressure (no uni = failure). Breakdown number 1. After returning to TAFE to co... View more

Hi, I have had depression, anxiety and low self-esteem for over 20 years. I left high school unable to cope with study, due to bullying (racism) from students and parental pressure (no uni = failure). Breakdown number 1. After returning to TAFE to complete my VCE and TAFE qualifications, I found a job and worked there for many years. When the management changed, the work environment became more stressful and eventually toxic. I resigned after my second supervisor was sacked, and the replacement was someone I could not work with (trust). Breakdown number 2. When I returned to the workforce, it was in a different role in a much better environment and I stayed for many years. Unfortunately, due to funding cuts, a number of staff were made redundant at the end of last year. Being made redundant has sent me into another tailspin. Breakdown number 3. Since then, my co-workers have found new employment. I have not found another job yet. My self-confidence is very low and I do not have much of a support network. This has left me feeling very isolated and alone. My anxiety levels are high and I am struggling to eat and sleep. My GP has me on medication for depression and anxiety. I know that this will pass and things will get better. It just does not feel like it right now.

Shock I need someone to tell me what I need to do and should be doing to combat my depression
  • replies: 5

All I have to go off is my opinion - I am really depressed, to the point of having several attempts at suicide in the last couple of months. Im not sure what I should be doing anymore to fight it. Sure, I go to my doctor and take the meds and talk to... View more

All I have to go off is my opinion - I am really depressed, to the point of having several attempts at suicide in the last couple of months. Im not sure what I should be doing anymore to fight it. Sure, I go to my doctor and take the meds and talk to my counsellor. But what I mean is should I still be going to work? Should I be taking the time to look after myself and put more effort into 'curing' myself? Is that even possible? I am really struggling to function as I would be a year or so ago. I forgot to pay bills, cant really go out and shop, sometimes cant drive. Yet sill I go to work everyday. Theres no doubt that work causes massive strain on me and indeed makes my depression much much worse. But I wont stop being a productive member of society until given a legit medical reason. This is going to sound selfish but I almost need a doctor to say literally something like "You need to take time of work to get better. Heres a note to give to your boss.". Does that every happen? Whenever Ive asked about it people just act kind of funny like its a really bad thing to say.

the_one_1 I can never seem to be happy at all

Problems seem to be everywhere for me and I can’t seem to get out of it. Someone who knows the girl I like told me that the girl I like likes someone else. My parents make me so upset and push me too much. In my school, I feel I’m not liked. I had as... View more

Problems seem to be everywhere for me and I can’t seem to get out of it. Someone who knows the girl I like told me that the girl I like likes someone else. My parents make me so upset and push me too much. In my school, I feel I’m not liked. I had asked someone who knows the girl I like to find out if the girl I like likes me back. This person came back to me and told me that she likes someone else. I told this person to tell the girl I like that I like her back. The girl I like found out I like her and that day she smiled when looking at me for the whole lesson. The day after this, the person I had asked first to find out who the girl I like likes told me the girl I like is going out with the guy she likes. Yet the days after her finding out she still shows me signs of liking me more than friends. She is always near me, one time she stretched her arms in my direction while talking to her good guy friend, she also brushed passed me a lot in one lesson (most likely on purpose), she stretches her foot towards me and also stares at me (her friends also stare at me). I don’t understand why she is showing me these signs of liking me when she actually likes someone else. Could she be lying because she doesn’t want to pass gossip around the school? (I had asked out a girl previous to this and the full year found out including this new girl I like) Does the girl I like like me back? Due to all the following problems (below), I want to be happier in my life such as getting a girlfriend. In school I feel I’m not accepted. Everyone calls the sport I like gay and due to this I feel isolated from being myself and am quiet. No one talks to me and people don’t accept me. My parents are also another problem, they push me in my schoolwork when I’m doing/trying my hardest and they are stressing me out a lot more. I just want to be happier and accepted in my school and is why I want a girlfriend. At least that way I will feel liked (at the moment I don’t feel liked) and will be happier. I feel like i'm in a box which is closing into me and squishing me into pulp. I’m not sure what to do. Please help me… :(

Cf It seems the days are getting harder and not easier
  • replies: 2

I broke down again yesterday and wanted to end it all. I would never do it, but its the only thought that I have atm. I think about how bad I feel every day and I just want these feelings to go away. I dont know where to go from here. I feel like I j... View more

I broke down again yesterday and wanted to end it all. I would never do it, but its the only thought that I have atm. I think about how bad I feel every day and I just want these feelings to go away. I dont know where to go from here. I feel like I just exist with no purpose what so ever. I have lost the will and motivation for life and have completely lost myself in the process and it scares me that I will never feel happy again. I just feel empty inside. I go to work as a distraction and try to fill up my weekend with things to do, but I dont get any enjoyment out of it. I feel like I have hit rock bottom and I am trying to get out of it, but I dont know where to go from here. I feel so alone, even though I have good friends, I just don't feel they understand. I feel guilty because my family know that I am not being myself but I dont know how to find myself again. I am on anti-depressants and am seeing a psychologist, but I feel like its not enough atm....I am so lost

lostblackbird Just can't keep doing this

I feel like I'm stuck in a revolving door, no sooner am I feeling "okay" and that I'm coping..finally, after so long, that I come crashing down again. This time last year, I'd been discharged from hospital for a 2nd suicide attempt in a matter of wee... View more

I feel like I'm stuck in a revolving door, no sooner am I feeling "okay" and that I'm coping..finally, after so long, that I come crashing down again. This time last year, I'd been discharged from hospital for a 2nd suicide attempt in a matter of weeks..and one of many over the course of the last 17yrs in my life. I get tired of hearing how I need to focus on my kids, that life is great and how it will all be better, soon. When is soon ? I get tired, frustrated and overwhelmed with trying to explain to others how I just don't feel like "me" anymore..whoever the hell that used to be. I'm 34 and I hate more than anything that I still wake up of a morning. Surviving this last 12 months isn't a sign of strength to me but rather one of failure..that yet again, something I'd set my mind to do, has come unraveled. I get asked to make promises from friends and family to not hurt myself..to not put myself in harms way..and so, on the outside, for the most part - I look fine. But I have found new ways of punishing myself..new ways of hiding how low and desperate I feel, I don't want to explain anything anymore. I just want it to stop.

lostllama Draining feeling of hopelessness
  • replies: 7

Hello everybody, I am new here. I have suffered from depression for years, to varying degrees. Sometimes it is anxiety, other times it is just a draining feeling of hopelessness. I feel like that deep inside, I don't really believe anything good can ... View more

Hello everybody, I am new here. I have suffered from depression for years, to varying degrees. Sometimes it is anxiety, other times it is just a draining feeling of hopelessness. I feel like that deep inside, I don't really believe anything good can ever come from life. I know that isn't logical, but it's a feeling. I have some great people in my life, but I often feel really alone and lonely. I don't feel like I know how to connect with other people. My emotions are always stormy and I feel like I feel things so much more than others do. Most of all, I feel like nobody really gets me. Does anybody else feel like this? Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Blurred_gold New to this and feeling lost
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, Hope all are ok. I have never posted on a forum before so this is a bit of a step. I have recently realised that I am depressed. I feel very hopeless. Started a new job two months ago which involved me working all day on my own seeing vu... View more

Hi everyone, Hope all are ok. I have never posted on a forum before so this is a bit of a step. I have recently realised that I am depressed. I feel very hopeless. Started a new job two months ago which involved me working all day on my own seeing vulnerable families in a health professional role. It is something that I have done for years and always enjoyed it. I have always worked in an office though and am a very social person. This new job finds me on the road all day or working from home, the only person I see all week work wise are the families I support. I have found this very difficult and have felt very unsupported in my role. Over the past month or so I have started to feel very lost, dreading going to work, teary, unconfident in my knowledge and skills, have negative thoughts and even started to pinch myself on my hand. The day I started to do that I realised something was very wrong and took myself to the Dr. He has referred me to a psychologist and also prescribed me antidepressants. I really don't want to take anything though and have not started on them as I am worried that once I start on something like this ( I have never taken antidepressants) I will never come off them! So I have made the decision to eat better and do more exercise and see how that goes. Today I woke up and just cannot face going to work. I have let my boss know but am so scared that I cannot do this job anymore. I cannot work out whether it is the job that has caused this, as I really don't like the job, or whether the job has merely been a catalyst to something underlying...I feel so helpless right now and scared that this is not going to go away. The added complication I have is I am on a sponsored visa and if I lose my job this puts me in a difficult position both financially and visa wise. This is not helping me to see the big picture. At the moment I feel like I can't see the woods from the trees and wonder whether i should start taking these meds or not. I feel like I have mucked up everything that I have worked hard for and have failed the people I support. This is so hard. Any advice would be very gratefully received. I have a very loving boyfriend who is trying understand...it's so hard when i don't even understand! I am note sure whether to quit my job as it fills me with so much dread. I know I am not doing it justice and that kills me inside as I have always enjoyed what I do. Especially when the families are relying on me to deliver a good service. The reality is the job wont change though and I am not good at being on my own all day...especially at the moment. I just feel useless and that i will never be good at it. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Any advice you can give me would be gratefully receiced. I hope that you are having a good day today